Oak Harbor

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

gumby

Oak Harbor

Post by gumby » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:22 pm

Has Oak Harbor opened back up?
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

guanagator

Re: Oak Harbor

Post by guanagator » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:27 pm

Yes
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

gumby

Post by gumby » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:03 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
James aka Gumby
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
2012 Hobie PA 14'

TheWarrant

Post by TheWarrant » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:11 pm

I've fished there twice in the last couple of weeks. I don't know what they did to it - maybe extended the ramp a little? With the exception of two portable fold up chairs over by the swing sets, I haven't seen any change in the place. Oh!! The garbage can has been empty both times I've gone.
They haven't fixed the wind though - always seems to be blowing straight into my face coming and going!!! :)
Retired U.S. Navy
Retired Gainesville Regional Utilities
Retired!!!

"If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough!"

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:14 pm

The extended the ramp, and fixed the giant hole that was in the middle before.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

jaxjag44

Post by jaxjag44 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:18 pm

I have both a kayak and a boat. I have not tried it since they re-opened but before I couldn't get my boat out of Oak Harbor if it was anywhere close to the half-way point to low tide. My boat will not move with the winch strap, has to be driven up even though it is a relatively light boat (something about how the bunks are angled). But about a month ago I went to the ramp in my boat (not the truck and trailer), and I asked another boater what they did to the ramp and he said that all they did was put a "stop" or bulkhead at the end of the ramp so you couldn't back off the end of the ramp. That means at low tide I still couldn't use it. I did buy a 2600 lb. rated winch recently to replace the 1500 lb winch on my trailer now to see if that makes a difference, haven't put it on yet though.

But that is just what I was told....anybody else try it with a boat and trailer yet at low tide?

LunchBox

Post by LunchBox » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:34 am

There was definitely a big chunk missing on the north corner, if your wheels fell past it with the boat on the trailer there was no way you were getting out. Anyway, new pad, fresh grooves in the concrete, no algae grown on it yet, still big reds and flatties hiding back there. Get on it gumby! Been reading your threads long enough, oak Harbor is my stomping grounds, hit me up when you go back I'd love to join you!

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:08 am

jaxjag44 wrote:I have both a kayak and a boat. I have not tried it since they re-opened but before I couldn't get my boat out of Oak Harbor if it was anywhere close to the half-way point to low tide. My boat will not move with the winch strap, has to be driven up even though it is a relatively light boat (something about how the bunks are angled). But about a month ago I went to the ramp in my boat (not the truck and trailer), and I asked another boater what they did to the ramp and he said that all they did was put a "stop" or bulkhead at the end of the ramp so you couldn't back off the end of the ramp. That means at low tide I still couldn't use it. I did buy a 2600 lb. rated winch recently to replace the 1500 lb winch on my trailer now to see if that makes a difference, haven't put it on yet though.

But that is just what I was told....anybody else try it with a boat and trailer yet at low tide?
I've got a 19ft panga that drafts about 8-10inches loaded and can use the ramp as long as their is .2 or more on the low tide, negative low it's a mud bowl back there. It's deeper where the ramp is now no issues driving on or off, the skinny part is the bend going around the seawall.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

gumby

Post by gumby » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:06 am

LunchBox wrote:There was definitely a big chunk missing on the north corner, if your wheels fell past it with the boat on the trailer there was no way you were getting out. Anyway, new pad, fresh grooves in the concrete, no algae grown on it yet, still big reds and flatties hiding back there. Get on it gumby! Been reading your threads long enough, oak Harbor is my stomping grounds, hit me up when you go back I'd love to join you!
I'll let you know lunchbox.
James aka Gumby
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
2012 Hobie PA 14'

LunchBox

Post by LunchBox » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:48 pm

I'm going to try and get out tomorrow, weather permitting.
Not crazy about fighting the wind.