Kayak Care

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

SuaSponte

Kayak Care

Post by SuaSponte » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:07 pm

So maintenance of our kayaks is essential if we want them to last. Especially for those of use peddle craft. The typical water spray down and WD-40 oiling of the mirage/propel drive is usually good enough for daily aftercare. Then perhaps the once or bi-monthly soap wash and silicone coating of the kayak to avoid discoloration and breakdown of the polymers. Because the sun is bad on both the skin and plastics.

So the big question I have is what are you all using to coat your kayaks. I know islandspeed2001, JohnYakJax and Clark will most likely recommend the M Essentials Dry Silicon Spray that comes in the 7oz can part#5107. Problem I have with this product is that its about $10 a can for 7oz.

So I have been doing some research into the contents of these products and some others and would like your input. What do you think about using Meguiar's Tire Wet or Turtle Wax/Armor-All products? They all use some type of silicone polymer base along with other chemicals but their primary focus is to prevent UV damage to plastic/vinyl/rubber components. Plus I have a few cans of the good Meguires products in my garage and they are 15oz and cost about the same as M Essentials 7oz can.

Just seems like a no-brainer to me but was looking to pick your brains to see if you know if any of these products don't react well with our kayaks :scratch:
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

67197mlk

Re: Kayak Care

Post by 67197mlk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:59 pm

I wash my solo down with either a car wash soap or I use an anti-bacterial general purpose wash. I use the same on the little outboard, inside and out. after I'm done, I put solo in the garage. it doesn't get any more sun exposure on it than it needs. the engine gets flushed with about the same mixture and gets blown off of all water spray so it stays fresh and dry. occasionally I spray reel magic on the inside of the engine, then blow it off with leaf blower. still looks brand new despite how much I use it. a couple times a month, which is after tons of use, I dig out pressure washer and pressure wash the solo getting some of the hard to remove crap off it. I don't put a sealer or anything on the solo afterwards.
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Sounds like a little over-kill going on here. I use Tide to wash down the kayak/boat. :thumbleft: About once a month I may apply a coat of Aerospace 303 spray to the top/deck and wipe it off. I do a fresh water flush on the motor each time I use it. Other than that......

It's just a piece of plastic.....
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

gumby

Post by gumby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:35 pm

I wash my PA with Nu-Finish (and water) after every trip to get the grime off and then let it drip dry while i clean everything else... and then back into the garage it goes.

I do need to lube my pedal mechanism as I have not been doing it. Would i be better off with WD40 or is Corrosion X just as good?
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm

islandspeed2001 wrote:Sounds like a little over-kill going on here. I use Tide to wash down the kayak/boat. :thumbleft: About once a month I may apply a coat of Aerospace 303 spray to the top/deck and wipe it off. I do a fresh water flush on the motor each time I use it. Other than that......

It's just a piece of plastic.....
only takes me about 20-30 minutes. its not that lengthy of a process. I put a bucket under engine and rune it while I spray and wash down solo. if I were to actually wash it and not stop to admire it, probably a 10 minute process. at best...
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Wash it with my car soap and hang it in its rack in the garage.

Clark

Post by Clark » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:41 pm

You're supposed to wash those things??? :lol: :lol: I give mine a quick rinse with the hose, then stick it in the garage. Like Jerry said " it's just a piece of plastic" This is not a fashion show, and the fish do not care how dirty or clean your kayak is. :lol: :lol:
My rod and reels are a different story. They get more care.
Thanks for taking me fishing Dad

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:55 pm

Any nastyness gets blasted with a little bleach water. Other than that, I spend my time cleaning fish, paddle and rods/reels.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Interesting topic......and as you can see there are many different methods to care for you kayaks and gear...or not!! :shock:

I have always used "303 Aerospace Protectant" on my kayaks, especially the top deck surfaces, and it is very good for plastic and rubber hatches and the surface of the yak. It contain a UV protectant that keeps the kayak from getting brittle, and keeps the hatches from warping or drying out. Especially good for the older style rubber snap-on hatches and keeps them pliable and helps them seal tightly. I did not use it very often on the older Tarpon 120...maybe every 2 months...and it was nearly always stored ON my old Corolla and exposed to the sun, so it obviously works great.

Hobie sells two "boat care products"..the Hobie Boat Cleaner (altho I just use warm soapy water) and their Hobie UV Protectant, which I think is the same compound as the "303 Aero" product mentioned above.

Hobie Mirage Drives should be rinsed thoroughly after each trip. I just use warm soapy water and a soft bristle brush to try to remove the sand and salt water, and then rinse that off completely.
Gumby....then I let the Drive dry and then lightly spritz ALL metal moving parts lightly with WD-40, which Hobie even recommends on their website and DVD.

Like Clark mentioned above, my rods and especially my reels get much better treatment every trip, and I NEVER use any type of grease or petroleum based products on them. I stack them in the corner of my shower, loosen the front drags, and spray them thoroughly...getting the rod eyes good and clean and rinsing the reels from the front and rear.. I then turn them upside down and hang them from the shower rod overnight with the BR vent fan on. In the morning I lubricate them. I have used "Tri-Flow Protective Lubricant" for many years and it contains Dupont Teflon which repels dirt and sand and grit, and it was developed for very high speed industrial machinery and for guns and I buy mine at our local bicycle shop....it keeps sand and grit off the gears and chains!!
I have several older Shimano reels and one Penn model that each have more than 400 or 500 trips on them and they have never had the side covers off them or been to the Reel Doctors....Honest!!
Good Luck.....JohnYaksJax

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Clark wrote:You're supposed to wash those things??? :lol: :lol: I give mine a quick rinse with the hose, then stick it in the garage. Like Jerry said " it's just a piece of plastic" This is not a fashion show, and the fish do not care how dirty or clean your kayak is. :lol: :lol:
I care for it all the same, maybe it's just me. Especially since Im still young and finally getting to enjoy the fruits of my labor I want everything I buy to last as long as possible. :thumbright:
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:37 pm

The Magic Eraser is a great tool to remove marks from the kayak. :thumbright:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:08 pm

islandspeed2001 wrote:The Magic Eraser is a great tool to remove marks from the kayak. :thumbright:
This is a true statement. I have already done it and use them for just about everything else.
| Sua Sponte |

| 904-256-4985 |

Plan B

Post by Plan B » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:42 am

Clark wrote:You're supposed to wash those things??? :lol: :lol: I give mine a quick rinse with the hose, then stick it in the garage. Like Jerry said " it's just a piece of plastic" This is not a fashion show, and the fish do not care how dirty or clean your kayak is. :lol: :lol:
Although maybe I give it a bit more love, but basically THIS......

I give it a good soap on occasion when I happen to fish during the day on the weekend and have a beer in hand in the afternoon but basically If i wanted to OCD clean my craft, I'd get a real boat again, not to mention, waxing a hull that rubs on razor sharp oysters almost every time I fish seems a bit fruitless

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:01 am

So I'm OCD? :lol:
| Sua Sponte |

| 904-256-4985 |

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:35 am

SuaSponte wrote:So I'm OCD? :lol:
Probably :fart4:

However, like my father always told me.. "take care of your stuff and it will take care of you: :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole