Give FWC feedback on health of redfish population

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Chris

Give FWC feedback on health of redfish population

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:16 am

FWC is looking for angler feedback for 2016 population assessment. This info could be used to decide whether to lower our region's redfish bag limit

Take the survey: http://myfwc.com/media/3428577/red%20dr ... 0small.pdf

Last year's assessment results concluded that redfish, including those in our region, are not in any jeopardy of becoming overfished. However, the escapement rate - a metric used to estimate number fish that escape anglers and survive to certain age - in northeast florida has been in decline in recent years. In light of that, last year's assessment recommended the state consider lowering our bag limit to 1 red fish per day.

More from FWC's presentation on this year's assessment:
"Based on the results of the 2015 Florida red drum stock assessment, the Commission
may want to consider lowering the bag limit in the Northeast management zone to 1
fish per person per day. Staff would also like to gather additional information about
angler preferences for this fishery in the panhandle and the rest of the Northwest
management zone."
Full presentation: http://myfwc.com/media/3428577/red%20dr ... 0small.pdf

SKITTERDONE

Re: Give FWC feedback on health of redfish population

Post by SKITTERDONE » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:32 am

Just out of curiosity, Do you feel they should keep it at two or go back to one redfish, per person, per day?
Diablo Paddlesports
TAllen Rods
Egret Baits
I use them because they work.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 am

Just completed the survey. It is my understanding that some portions of the state (panhandle) are seeing reduced numbers of reds and most fish are within lower slot range. For NFL, think our stock of reds is healthy. Think the number should be different for certain parts of the state.

Me? I usually only bring home one fish. One is enough for my wife and I to enjoy a nice redfish dinner that evening. I never stock/freeze fish. Understand that there are other folks with larger families and the need to feed is greater.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:54 am

I keep my two fish limit guilt free -when I can catch one - but I wouldn't lose too much sleep if they lowered it. I don't fish for a living, and lowering the limit wouldn't make fishing any less enjoyable to me.
The redfish population appears very healthy. But I've only lived here two years and don't have any other time period to compare it to. From what I've read and gathered from talking to people, the rebound of redfish is an incredible success story, and the state deserves credit for that. I know lots of people have little to zero trust in the science behind fishing regulations, but personally I feel very good about leaving redfish management in FWC's hands. If they decided to lower the limit, I'd feel the decision would be made out of the best interest for fish and the recreational fisherman who target them.

What about you?
Last edited by Chris on Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stacktester

Post by stacktester » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I'd be more worried about moving the flounder to 15" minimum.

SKITTERDONE

Post by SKITTERDONE » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:57 pm

I was against it when they moved it up to two fish.
Diablo Paddlesports
TAllen Rods
Egret Baits
I use them because they work.

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:16 pm

Honestly it doesn't make a difference to me. When I do catch a lot I tend to only bring one red home. Now if its trout I take a lot of those home when I have them. Flounder has been my new obsession especially after enjoying the delectable meat.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

DaveInYak

Post by DaveInYak » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:35 am

For someone like me who may be able to fish once a month on a good month.....if I ever manage to catch 2 I'd sure love to keep them. My family of 5 can mow through 2 upper slot reds in no time flat. If I invite the the wife's sisters and mother as well I normally cook 6-10lbs of fish and there's not a scrap left.

Just my 2 cents

guanagator

Post by guanagator » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:26 am

From the report our region is showing a rapid decline in the number of fish reaching maturation, still over the conservation goal but trending the wrong way. Could mean they drop us to 1 fish, maybe they will wait till we go under the threshold. I don't keep very many reds mainly bc they are homebodies and I like to be able to go catch the same fish and a upperslot is a lot of meat. :smoke: slot flounder all come home for the fryer.

If it's the same crew counting snapper as reds we are in trouble.
Jackson Cuda 12

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:55 pm

The constant distortion of "data" used by the government and our fisheries management dictators is so flawed it's a joke. Anything you do tell them can and will be used against your rights to fish. Take a look at the BS on red snapper.

Many years back they wanted to close down redfish completely on our coast because of algae blooms affecting the fish population on the west coast of the state. Thank the CCA for that one.

Then they raised it to 2 slot fish per person per day.

The LAST thing I want is more govt "research" and "science" used to dictate what rights we are allowed to retain. (gee anyone heard of global warming, I mean climate change?)

I know nothing, I will say nothing, and I will provide no "data" - they make up what they want anyway. :soapbox:
"This is my signature not my facebook page."

gumby

Post by gumby » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:47 pm

KayakMike wrote:The constant distortion of "data" used by the government and our fisheries management dictators is so flawed it's a joke. Anything you do tell them can and will be used against your rights to fish. Take a look at the BS on red snapper.

Many years back they wanted to close down redfish completely on our coast because of algae blooms affecting the fish population on the west coast of the state. Thank the CCA for that one.

Then they raised it to 2 slot fish per person per day.

The LAST thing I want is more govt "research" and "science" used to dictate what rights we are allowed to retain. (gee anyone heard of global warming, I mean climate change?)

I know nothing, I will say nothing, and I will provide no "data" - they make up what they want anyway. :soapbox:
Where is the "love this" button???
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

weimed

Post by weimed » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Maybe Little Marco can do something.

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:38 pm

When local anglers and charter capts went as a group went to DC with the RFA to protest what they have been doing several years back Little Marco didn't even speak to them or recognize their presence.

You have to admit though his ears are HUGE - like Ferengi on Star Trek NG. :smoke:
Attachments
18lro3319hvdhjpg.jpg
I am Rubio!
18lro3319hvdhjpg.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
"This is my signature not my facebook page."