What is it about Kayak Fishing

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Jwray

What is it about Kayak Fishing

Post by Jwray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:20 am

I have a 17 skiff with new trolling motor. If you told me i had to give up the boat, i wouldnt care. If you told me i had to give up the kayak, i could'nt do it. If i dont get time in the kayak, i get withdrawals.
Why is kayak fishing more satisfying than a boat. Besides the money issues, gas, repairs, etc,????
Whats wrong with me???

Anna

Re: What is it about Kayak Fishing

Post by Anna » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 am

I agree completely! I met a guy at the ramp the other day loading up his skiff. He and his son were checking out my Native propel and they both said they were thinking of giving up the boat for a kayak like a Hobie or a Native. We have a boat, which my husband loves dearly, but I will take that kayak trip any day over the boat.

I think it's just the peacefulness of it.

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:57 am

Simply you can get more places with the kayak than you can with the boat. Minus the long offshore trips of course. Plus I like being the only one in my craft.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:47 am

Boats are expensive and require maintance. I have fished from a kayak for 20+ years. I did own a bay boat for couple years during that period but just didn't enjoy it as much as the kayak.

As most of you know, I recently started fishing from a Solo Skiff. To me, this is a hybird kayak. While I now motor to my fishing spots, I end up spending most of the time paddling or using a pole. Kind of a happy medium for me :D When you get closer to my age, you will realize that spending 6-8 hours on the water and doing an 6-8 mile trip, can wear your old butt down. It's nice to come home after a day of fishing and not feel so tired that you don't want to clean your gear.

I am certain that kayak fishing has made me a better fisherman. In a boat you "run and gun" from one spot to another. You don't really learn the structure of the creek like you do with a kayak. Since you can't run from one spot to another, you learn that there there are lots of places that hold fish between each of the "spots".
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

TexasDave

Post by TexasDave » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Kayak is great if its just me and I want to fish slow and methodical. Little jon boat is AWESOME for bringing along friends though.

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:39 pm

Islandspeed's comments are the same way I look at kayak fishing. I fished from a high end bass boat for 3 decades. It's definitely about "run and gun" to spots especially if you are in tournaments and trying to work as many "honey holes" as you can. There's just something about getting to a spot by human power and fishing areas where not every boat can go that makes kayak fishing so enjoyable. It's a lot more peaceful than motorized fishing (even with a trolling motor).

I fish for the relaxation of being on the water more than anything. Yes you want to catch fish, especially a nice one. But at the end of the day you haven't had to shell out the same expense that the motorized boats require and you can get into areas those boats just can't go. . I don't miss the bass boat one bit!
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

Plan B

Post by Plan B » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:37 pm

simplicity
peace & quiet
exercise

Having a kayak has greatly increased my interest in inshore fishing again, simply because I approach it differently but that being said, I still will have another boat again in the future for versatility and ability to chase bigger game...... after I'm done wasting $ travelling to chase surf.

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:50 pm

I got my solo skiff in November last year and just sold my boat 2 weeks ago. it was bitter sweet getting rid of the boat and said I would get another later on in life. at this rate, I have no desire to own another boat. it will be a while before I purchase another one. like jerry said, I love the solo. I can jet out and get away from everything. sometimes can scoot past kayakers since their range can be limited. otherwise, once there, I pull up motor and just paddle around. kick back and relax, in silence. since I fished alone 99.99% of the time, there was no sense in me keeping the boat.
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:13 pm

For me it's a couple of things not necessarily in order:

- it's a PERSONAL vessel and you can go where you want when you want
- fun being close to the water and the fish
- you get to know the areas better than you would in a boat where you can dash off from spot to spot and access to much shallower areas
- zero maintenance and low cost (compared to boat)
- my idiot friends on the internet :drunken:
"This is my signature not my facebook page."

Clark

Post by Clark » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:26 pm

KayakMike and Plan B put it perfectly. I agree with everything they said. Since I started kayak fishing, I do not use my boat [17ft center console] any more. As a matter of fact, I gave my boat away recently. I believe I catch almost as many fish in my kayak as I did in my boat, with less aggravation and expense. Plus I get much needed exercise [ unlike those Solo Skiff slackers :lol: :lol: ].
Thanks for taking me fishing Dad

Sheepherder

Post by Sheepherder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:39 pm

:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: here we go
JR :smoke:

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:51 pm

I agree with all the reasons stated above, but it's all that and more for me. It actually got me liking living in Florida! I'm a military brat, so I've lived all over the place, and (frankly speaking) I've lived plenty of places that I liked more than Florida. So I wasn't a very happy person and found myself frequently longing for other places. But ever since discovering this site and kayak fishing, I feel NE Florida is the place for me and I'm a happy person again.

Unfortunately (ironically) we recently moved to N. Virginia with my wife's career for the next 5 or 6 years, and I find myself missing kayak fishing in Florida terribly! Yes, I can fish up here, even from a kayak or canoe, but it's just not the same for me. Thankfully, we were able to keep the Florida house and that's now where we spend all our vacations and definitely where we will be retiring, so the happiness continues, just a little more spread out throughout the calendar year...at least until I can finally, permanently come back home (yes, home) to Florida.

Sorry for sounding all sentimental and hokey, but I really cannot thank this site and this sport enough. For me, kayak fishing can be summed up in one word: Happiness.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:49 pm

For me it's the quiet and solitude.
I work in the automotive industry and listen to mechanical things all day. Not my idea of relaxing on the weekends. I've also become a lot more in tune with my world because of it.

keastman

Post by keastman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:33 am

I grew up on Lake Ontario and have had boats of one sort of another since high school. The boats have included canoes, kayaks (before the boom), runabouts, row boats, a deep V cuddy for Lake Ontario salmon/trout fishing, catamaran sail boats, a center console fishing boat and PWC's. I've lived on Oneida Lake in NY, and moved here from a home on Lake Erie. I moved here dragging a couple of kayaks, my center console and PWC's. The bigger boats were needed for Great Lakes fishing but I've always loved the canoes, kayaks, and sail boats. I am presently down to my W kayak, and Solo Skiff and think it's the best of both worlds for me. The things that captures my desire for these small vessels are:

The personal connection you have with the water with such a small craft and solitude of the experience, along with the fact that your trip is dependent on you and your abilities

the ability to access areas no boat can venture

small size, ease of deploying and retrieving them for a quick trip

minimal maintenance and up keep costs

The W will always have a place for flood tide fishing but Solo allows me to access areas I will not paddle to yet be as versatile as a kayak once I get there, even allowing me to get shallower than a kayak

Sheepherder

Post by Sheepherder » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:43 am

For me it has to be the 6-7 hrs of not being able to pee or take a shizit :pottytrain5: when need be. Let's not forget the 6 mile paddle [ one way] with the wind in your face on a cloudy rainy February 40 degree day. Or maybe it's just being out there on a BEAUTIFUL 100 degree day when there's no breeze or shade to hide from the blistering sun while the gnats are terrorizing your arz up while waiting on the tide to change cause your doing your best to get skunked after 4 hours of FUN!

Then there's the close proximity to hmmmm let's see gators, Sharks eating your catch right there at boat side, that will always send a tingle up your leg lol the occasional moccasin and getting airborne from running up on a dang manatee, oh let's not forget that wonderful mud that we all love.

Then there's the ample maneuverable space we have nothing like dunking a $200 STRADIC reel in some salt water is soooo much fun. Finally at day's end I get to roll out of the yak at the launch moaning and groaning like a beached whale cause I cant even stand straight up.

And all this time my wife's waiting at home pissed because she's been stuck at the house while I've been out having FUN! :scratch:

So for me I'd say you just got to love it folks :cheers: :cheers:
JR :smoke: