Kayak for a duck boat?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Bade Wolf

Kayak for a duck boat?

Post by Bade Wolf » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:54 pm

Anyone have any experience on trying to use a kayak as a duck boat, maybe painting it camo? I looked at a few canoe online and at dicks but canoe are so big and bulky and I'm usually out solo. Maybe thinking about looking for an older sit in tandem kayak and taking the seats out. Has anyone done something similar to this?

dogyak

Re: Kayak for a duck boat?

Post by dogyak » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:24 pm

IMO , a sit in yak is a pain . I wear waders on a sit on top , easier to get on and out . Grass the yak with local cover to blend in .

steve

Post by steve » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:50 pm

I use my Native Ultimate. Works beautifully. It's light with room for decoys and you can sit in easily with waders on.
Native Ultimate / Heritage Angler

keastman

Post by keastman » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:01 pm

I know some people with Wave Walks bought them specifically for duck hunting. Lots of room for decoys and easy to get in and out of.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:41 pm

keastman wrote:I know some people with Wave Walks bought them specifically for duck hunting. Lots of room for decoys and easy to get in and out of.
There are only 2 know people who own a Wave Walk. Neither of them duck hunt :)
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Bade Wolf

Post by Bade Wolf » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:47 pm

keastman wrote:I know some people with Wave Walks bought them specifically for duck hunting. Lots of room for decoys and easy to get in and out of.
I've seen those, it looks like they would be hard to paddle and or not track very well

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:49 pm

I bought a Hobie Quest (non-pedal yak) from a guy who used it for duck hunting. He had painted it camo and added outriggers. Claimed it kept him from rolling over! I cleaned it up and used it for fishing, and really liked it. Never used the outriggers, though. A couple of years ago I got my wife to try it using the outriggers - she loves it. She won't go without her "training wheels".
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:14 pm

steve wrote:I use my Native Ultimate. Works beautifully. It's light with room for decoys and you can sit in easily with waders on.
I saw John down at BCO about 2 months ago , he showed me the Native and how they were rigging them for duck hunting , pretty cool . Thought about pulling the trigger for one , really nice .

JaxAttack

Post by JaxAttack » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:56 pm

I have been hunting out of a kayak for a few seasons now and I have nothing but great things to say about it other than paddling at 4am haha. Easy to hide and you just have to find ways around the space issue. SOT is the only way to go though especially with waders