Shipping A Broken Rod Back to the Manufacturer

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Jcampbell577

Shipping A Broken Rod Back to the Manufacturer

Post by Jcampbell577 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 pm

So of course I happened to have a hatch on the boat slam shut and break the tip off my new star rod. It has a lifetime warranty so I need to send it in. Not sure they will cover that but I am hoping so. My question is what is the best way to ship a rod? Where can I get something to put it in and how much should it cost to ship. I want to UPS and they quoted me $60 :mad: At that price I might as well buy a new rod.

Mudfish

Re: Shipping A Broken Rod Back to the Manufacturer

Post by Mudfish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Ask West Marine if they have a shipping tube you can have from a (8') VHF antenna.
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13 ~ 2012 Native Mariner Propel 12.5

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:28 pm

A piece of PVC pipe. Don't use the thin wall stuff. Cut to required length (of a new rod - they may use it to send the rod back....) add some foam or bubble wrap around each end of the rod. Glue a cap on one end, glue a threaded fitting on the other. Use a threaded plug or cap as needed to close that end. Drill a hole and add a sheet metal screw for security on the threaded plug.

Good luck!
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:59 pm

UPS can be expensive. Ship it snail mail (USPS). Will a couple more days really matter? Probably not.

Yes, the pvc tube works well
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

shallowrunner123

Post by shallowrunner123 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Happened to me many times.
-Get a 2 ft. tube from staples etc.
-Brake your rod in smaller pieces so it fits
-send the cheapest
Did it with TFO, St Croix and never had a problem. Rod is broken already anyway...
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:22 am

Now that's "out of the box" thinking! If it's broken, what good is it? Are they going to repair it? Not likely....
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

dkal

Post by dkal » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:03 am

I would contact star rods before breaking the rod any further; you could just be putting yourself up the creek without a paddle. Breaking it down further is a great idea!

kasteer

Post by kasteer » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:11 am

Are there any local rod makers? Just curious, since that would support local businesses and make it easier to "return" a rod for repair.

troutman

Post by troutman » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:30 pm

I had this happen. I bought my rod from Stike-zone on beach. So i took it to them. They shipped it to st croix. Called me when new rod was there. Very easy!
and on the 7th day GOD created Fishing!

><))))•>....:''><))))•>__..;><))))•>

Scrumptrelecent

Post by Scrumptrelecent » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:39 pm

shallowrunner123 wrote:Happened to me many times.
-Get a 2 ft. tube from staples etc.
-Brake your rod in smaller pieces so it fits
-send the cheapest
Did it with TFO, St Croix and never had a problem. Rod is broken already anyway...

This reminded me of one of my friends who had a software issue with a computer he bought from Best Buy. They wouldn't replace it because the software wasn't covered. However the computer was covered from physical damage so he walked out into the parking lot and smashed it. Grabbed all of the pieces and got back in the customer service line and later walked out with a new computer.
2015 Outback

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:44 pm

I can't see how breaking it further to fit in a container would make things better.

I'm hard on rods and have sent three back. They want the entire rod, not just the broken section. I can't imagine UPS charging $60 though. I think I paid $20 at the end of the year. The only reason I paid that much is because USPS was always out of the 3' mailing tubes (about $5) when I went and the stupid office supply stores don't seem to carry tubes. I'm keeping the box TFO used (triangle "tube") for the next time I have to return one.
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

Jcampbell577

Post by Jcampbell577 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:55 pm

Thank you everyone for the tips. Ended up going to Strike Zone and they took care of me on the spot! If you have not been there already I HIGHLY recommend it. Dave was super cool and really helped me out. Customer service is hard to come by these days and they went above and beyond. Also, they are stocked to the brim with sweet tackle and gear. Their prices are the best I've seen in the area. I am a lifetime loyal Strike Zone customer!