Mangroves!

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Chap

Mangroves!

Post by Chap » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:28 pm

How far south on the east coast of FL do I have to go to find easily accessible mangroves to paddle in and fish? If it's close enough for a 3 day weekend I may have to give it a shot.

FWIW, the farthest south on the east coast I've been is Daytona. West coast was Tampa, but that was 25 years ago now.
Paul

Thanks to Uncle Tony, Uncle Larry, and John for taking me fishing.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

Heritage_Redfish12

Re: Mangroves!

Post by Heritage_Redfish12 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:57 am

Indian river lagoon on east side. And tampa south on west. I cant show pics unfortunately. Image issues.
Fishing is great but catching is why we are addicted..
Chris
Heritage redfish12
Future beach 8.6
Wooden canoe 12

NCF12

Post by NCF12 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:34 am

From Jacksonville to Indian River Lagoon is a little over 180 miles.

There are Mangroves on the west coast north of Tampa. See St. Martins Aquatic Preserve in the Crystal River area.

http://visitcitrus.com/fun-stuff/learni ... mangroves/

From Jacksonville to Ozello is a little more than 140 miles. Ozello offers kayak anglers shallow water fishing around mangrove islands, and mangrove-lined shores over a mixture of grasses, oysters and rock.
Banned for being an asocial jerk.

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 am

There are dense mangroves as far north as Princess Place /Pelicer Creek, Marineland. That's just southern St Johns County/ northern Flagler area

Chap

Post by Chap » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Heritage_Redfish12 wrote:Indian river lagoon on east side. And tampa south on west. I cant show pics unfortunately. Image issues.
Indian River Lagoon looks fantastic! But according to the website for the state park there has been a closure due to removal of non-native species. I'm going to have to do some reading up on this one.

Edit to say: The Indian River State Park is closed, not the whole lagoon. That's a shame.
Last edited by Chap on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

Chap

Post by Chap » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:49 pm

Pontiac wrote:There are dense mangroves as far north as Princess Place /Pelicer Creek, Marineland. That's just southern St Johns County/ northern Flagler area
I was looking at the website for Tomoka State Park. It looks really nice, and isn't far south of Jax. I'll check into Tomoka more. Even if it doesn't have a lot of mangroves I still want to visit.
Paul