Sometimes You Gotta Do What You Gotta Do

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Pontiac

Re: Sometimes You Gotta Do What You Gotta Do

Post by Pontiac » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:00 am

As a fellow solo skiff owner.... I'll take a shot at some of these
NCF12 wrote: What h.p. is your outboard? What range of h.p. can be (safely) used on a SoloSkiff?
I run a 3.5, manufacture says up to a 5 hp. It should be noted that the small 4-6hp range motors are all the same, just different carb/tuning. So with that said, some guys run 6's
How much chop (light, moderate, etc.) can this SoloSkiff handle?
Heavy chop. But don't exceed your personal limitations
Can more than 1 person fish from this SoloSkiff?
I liken it to having a friend on your bike handlebars when you were a kid. It can be done, but isn't really supposed to.
Can you launch from a typical kayak launch or do you need a more conventional boat ramp?
Some guys launch these from their truck beds with a bed extender. I do think it would be a little cumbersome to get it on a kayak cart, although there's plenty of room in the hatch to break the cart down once you hit the water.
Before buying this SoloSkiff did you consider a Gheenoe (what I've been considering)? If so, what helped you decide on a SoloSkiff?
I did. But gheenoes can sink. Don't get me wrong here, you would have to try to sink one, but it can happen. I've sunk skiffs before. Also, I enjoy fishing solo. Its really tomato - tomahto with Gheenoe vs Soloskiff. Pros and cons to both.

Overall the solo skiff is a blast, but as with any boat, a compromise.

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:11 am

Nice mods Jerry!
Who knows, I might have mine in the water this weekend. Stuff just keeps coming up.
DMC

GASMAN

Post by GASMAN » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:06 pm

Beautiful Jerry

Do I sense a JKF microskiff club forming??? Seems like the skiff and the yak had a baby, and she's in your driveway
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"I don't carry a gun to look for or start a fight...I carry a gun to end a fight I never wanted to be in."

keastman

Post by keastman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Doug, if you don't get yours in the water soon, I'm going to have to come and take it away from you! Though I can't say much for how little I get out these days.

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:43 pm

I know. Jen was here over the weekend and just went back up to DC. I took a few days off and I'm paying for it now. I should have everything caught up work wise by the end of tomorrow. The license plate for the trailer is still in my briefcase and the decals are sitting on the kitchen table. I got to admit, that's pretty pathetic on my part.
DMC

jman82

Post by jman82 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:36 pm

I was saving up for a Native Slayer Propel but this thing looks pretty crazy and right around the same price depending on the motor. The amount of time I would save from pedaling would definitely be a bonus to spend with the family. Anyone know what size motor would be best for it?
2015 Slayer Propel 13

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:55 pm

jman82 wrote:I was saving up for a Native Slayer Propel but this thing looks pretty crazy and right around the same price depending on the motor. The amount of time I would save from pedaling would definitely be a bonus to spend with the family. Anyone know what size motor would be best for it?
5-6HP
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

YakGroupie

Post by YakGroupie » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Congrats Jerry!
Melita
MELITA'S CUPCAKE PRO STAFF!

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:02 pm

SuaSponte wrote:
jman82 wrote:I was saving up for a Native Slayer Propel but this thing looks pretty crazy and right around the same price depending on the motor. The amount of time I would save from pedaling would definitely be a bonus to spend with the family. Anyone know what size motor would be best for it?
5-6HP
While you can run a 5 hp, the owner says that the 3.5 hp runs fine. If fished several days with the 3.5 and it worked find. Did get some cavatation in heavy chop. I figured I shouldn't have been out there anyway in those conditions. The only advantage in my mind is that the 5 hp has an external gas tank. The 3.5 has an internal tank which holds about a quart of gas. Plenty of range for me. I will be carrying another quart of gas just in case.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Pontiac, you did good with the answers. I fully agree with what you said.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Dreads0518

Post by Dreads0518 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:27 pm

GASMAN wrote:
Seems like the skiff and the yak had a baby, and she's in your driveway
That's A good one Adam!!! :clap:

I have a Gheenoe and the SOLO is on my radar... :smoke:
After extensive, diligent, and scholarly research, there is NO evidence that life should be so serious.
Ultimate 14.5

pijije

Post by pijije » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:10 pm

that's a really neat set up. I've thought about one of those for a while now. I've got a motor already and a trailer so it's just a matter of finding the boat.

congratulations on it....

pijije

Post by pijije » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:24 pm

oh, do they come in pink???? seriously.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:42 am

pijije wrote:that's a really neat set up. I've thought about one of those for a while now. I've got a motor already and a trailer so it's just a matter of finding the boat.

congratulations on it....
You can find them at Strike Zone..... if they haven't sold all of them :D But if I remember correctly you are not from Jax. There are several other dealers around the state. If interested send me a PM and I will get dealer located.

Sorry only two colors.. Grey and sea foam.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:30 pm

Very nice setup Jerry!
"This is my signature not my facebook page."