Moving to area

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

shallowrunner123

Re: Moving to area

Post by shallowrunner123 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:13 am

Drive to downtown from 7:15am is horrible starting at 295/southside. I used to hate every day of that drive and that assuming there is no accident. If your wife can start working early thats the way to go. Best school system in FLorida is St. Johns county. Especially around 210 but its growing too fast. Amelia is very nice but not sure about drive for your wife. I can only say from 210 but 25 min drive to Guana, then St. Augustine with Vilano and 30+ Flagler etc. If Ponta Vedra is in your price range thats a sweet place with beach and fishing etc.
In case you haven’t noticed, there really are some enormous and enormously fragile egos in fishing. I can tell you that having a big ego is like owning one of those huge dogs that crap on the floor and eat the couch if they don’t get constant attention.

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:08 am

Fleming Island is good , great schools . I can be at Guana in 40 mins , Palm Valley is 25 min's . Plus , some good bass fishing on the local front .

jaxcreek

Post by jaxcreek » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:18 pm

I'd look at homes on Kernan Blvd and Hodges Blvd. It's very close to ocean, ICW, and river. They also have great schools: Chets Creek Elementary, Alimacani Elementary, Mayport Middle, Fletcher High School. University of North Florida and FCCJ College south campus are very close.

From here you can access following fishing spots:
http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/littlejetties.html
http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/westchic.html
http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/oakharbor.html
http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/dutton.html

Stop once on Beach Blvd by Dicks Wings for our monthly kayak fisherman meeting.
Native Slayer 10
Solo Skiff
A BAD DAY FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

WoodyHuband

Post by WoodyHuband » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:29 am

In my work I am at many of the local schools on a weekly basis. If I still had school aged children, I would not send them to a Duval public school aside from Stanton College Prep or Possibly Paxon. These schools are very competitive. The rest are average or below average at best. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-hi ... ols-112716

Nocatee is a huge planned community between Jacksonville and St Augustine with amenities and access to fishing in both areas. You might take a look there. It is in St Johns County and their schools are the best in our area. http://www.usnews.com/education/best-hi ... ict-103472

I think you will find that insurance and taxes are lower in St Johns County also.

RazeNCain

Post by RazeNCain » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 am

Are you wanting to live in a subdivision or are you looking for a decent piece of property?

Another community currently being built is Shearwater it's only a couple minutes from trout creek and the st Johns river. Could get to Guana / Palm Valley within 30 minutes. It's got an elementary school in the community as well. It's west of 95 on 210.

Dreads0518

Post by Dreads0518 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:24 pm

Just seen a house with a dock on Heckscher Dr, between Brown's and Clapboard creeks.
269K.
Great fishing!! If I had the cash it would be mine. :D
After extensive, diligent, and scholarly research, there is NO evidence that life should be so serious.
Ultimate 14.5

tgreg1

Post by tgreg1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks for everyone's help. I guess the next step is going down there to look at the areas. Pretty excited about the fishing prospects where ever I end up as the Chesapeake Bay continues to be inconsistent and more and more polluted.

weimed

Post by weimed » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:54 pm

A friend of mine lives off near the Chesapeake around Baltimore. He crabs there all the time then sends me photos of the blue crab in his pot.

keastman

Post by keastman » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Depending on where she works in downtown and what her hours are. St. Augustine/St. Augustine Beach area might be a consideration. Commute is about an hour depending on where you live down here. Sometimes it's faster and more consistent to head to and from work on US1 rather than I95 and rarely accidents to deal with. My wife has been doing it for 8 yrs, I did it for a couple. Excellent Schools in and in St. Johns district. More laid back than Jax and in general a lot safer, most spots I fish are less than 30 minutes away and my favorites are 15 minutes but I live beach side. You can fish the ICW, creeks, inlet, or ocean all within a 5 mile radius or less. Decent shopping and the city itself is beautiful. We pretty much have the oldest of everything here, or at least that's what they tell you. (Church, School House, City, Ghosts) Not to mention the Fountain of Youth to keep you looking good!

dogyak

Post by dogyak » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:30 pm

keastman wrote:Depending on where she works in downtown and what her hours are. St. Augustine/St. Augustine Beach area might be a consideration. Commute is about an hour depending on where you live down here. Sometimes it's faster and more consistent to head to and from work on US1 rather than I95 and rarely accidents to deal with. My wife has been doing it for 8 yrs, I did it for a couple. Excellent Schools in and in St. Johns district. More laid back than Jax and in general a lot safer, most spots I fish are less than 30 minutes away and my favorites are 15 minutes but I live beach side. You can fish the ICW, creeks, inlet, or ocean all within a 5 mile radius or less. Decent shopping and the city itself is beautiful. We pretty much have the oldest of everything here, or at least that's what they tell you. (Church, School House, City, Ghosts) Not to mention the Fountain of Youth to keep you looking good!
Nice sale's job sir on St Aug :smoke:

67197mlk

Post by 67197mlk » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:44 am

I work the westside, JSO, stay away from it. I live on orange park, nice neighborhoods and havent had any problems. Cant speak for all parts of OP, but far better than Duval. Would suggest St Johns county if you can afford it and tolerate drive/traffic. Good luck!!
Matthew
Solo Skiff w/ 2018 5hp Tohatsu 4 stroke (it is crazy silent!)

BenPaddlin

Post by BenPaddlin » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:07 am

Dreads0518 wrote:Just seen a house with a dock on Heckscher Dr, between Brown's and Clapboard creeks.
269K.
Great fishing!! If I had the cash it would be mine. :D
Saw that house last weekend. I'm still trying to get the wife onboard with moving to that area but she's not having it...
OK Trident 13
OK Drifter 12
Northeast Outfitters Canoe 14