Moving to area

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

tgreg1

Moving to area

Post by tgreg1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:35 am

Hi all, maybe a little off topic but will be moving to Jacksonville in mid dec. Have to buy a house at that time and do not have a lot of time to pick an area to live. Would like to know thoughts on an area/neighborhood with decent schools very close to good fishing/launches for a boat as well as my kayak. Very familiar w fishing on Gulf side in Naples Marco Island but never fished on this side of FLA. Have 2 kids in high school so area is important for that but also would like to be very convenient to fishing areas

Thx Todd

weimed

Re: Moving to area

Post by weimed » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:39 am

It all depends on what your looking for. I will give you my example as i am also looking. I moved down here in Feb and been looking since May. good schools and close to good fishing unfortunately do not match for me in my 150-175 price range. I am looking in mandarin and will travel 30-1 hour each time i go fishing whether its north near the good creeks or south around st Augustine. You can go North and get a great home be close to fishing but schools are a big concern unless you go private. safety is also a concern. Good place i do my research is zipwho.com. tells you who lives where

TRW

Post by TRW » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Todd,
I live in Mandarin, South Jacksonville, great place but St Johns County, just below Duval, has better schools. High Crime is mostly on the north and west sides of town. I work on the NW side and carry for protection. Some really bad areas over here near my office. It does take me between 30 min and an hour to get to my fishing spots. Julington Creek and the St Johns River are 5 minutes from my house. Just depends on what you want.

tgreg1

Post by tgreg1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks all. Isn't Mandarin near ICW? Is the fishing in there not very good. I was looking in Mandarin and St John. Looked like St Johns was a little further than I wanted to beaches/water. So the best fishing areas are where StJohn River go to the ocean and north of there?

bassman

Post by bassman » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:40 pm

Have you checked out the fishing spots on the main page? I haven't fished everywhere yet, but just from my observations there are decent spots all up and down the ICW.

Oh, and to answer your question, mandarin is closer to the river than the ICW. I'm a transplant as well so you "locals" feel free to correct me, lol.
"The two best time to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't"

tgreg1

Post by tgreg1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Yes thx. I did. That is what had me a bit worried that maybe the Icw wasn't any good. Is sandalwood high school area that bad? How far down St Johns river do saltwater fish go?

tgreg1

Post by tgreg1 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi all. One more question. What about Yulee. Seems like good schools and close to some areas that look like good fishing?

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:09 pm

tgreg1....First of all, Welcome to JAX and also to JKF......hope you enjoy both!!

Found a link that "hopefully" shows you the difference and the distance between the St. John's River and the ICW:

http://www.floridacruising.com/html/cru ... river.html

The St. John's River is WEST of the ICW and is a northward flowing river that originates somewhere NEAR Orlando (depends on the source your read) but I think it is near Sanford, and flows North through Palatka and then on up to JAX and then turns East and flows into the Atlantic Ocean. The link above describes it pretty well. CLICK ON "MILE ZERO" IN THE FIFTH PARAGRAPH FOR A GOOD EXPLANATION!!!

The ICW is a "ditch" aka small canal type body of water that originates someplace WAY north of JAX....I think New York or NJ. It parallels the coastline of the Atlantic Ocean and provides safer passage than the open Atlantic Ocean to boats traveling north and south along the coastline. It actually crosses the St. John's River in JAX. It is the divider between Jacksonville and Jax Beach, St. Augustine and St. Aug. Beach, Daytona and Daytona Beach and even Miami and Miami Beach.....get the "drift" here?? :scratch:

Check that link above and it shows BOTH of them and JAX is right at the juncture. Many of us like to fish the ICW and all the smaller tidal creeks that flow off of it. Hope this helps????
JohnYaksJax

flteng

Post by flteng » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 am

Avoid Duval County! If you have kids in school live in Clay or St John's. St John's getting the nod first. Plus Jax violence level just keeps going up.
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

thinkimgonnayak

Post by thinkimgonnayak » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:09 pm

tgreg1 wrote:Hi all, maybe a little off topic but will be moving to Jacksonville in mid dec. Have to buy a house at that time and do not have a lot of time to pick an area to live. Would like to know thoughts on an area/neighborhood with decent schools very close to good fishing/launches for a boat as well as my kayak. Very familiar w fishing on Gulf side in Naples Marco Island but never fished on this side of FLA. Have 2 kids in high school so area is important for that but also would like to be very convenient to fishing areas

Thx Todd
Not sure of your situation, but if there's any way you can put off buying....you'll be glad you did. Keep in mind that area-wise, Jacksonville is the biggest city in the country (so they say). There's so many different areas of town that are like completely different cities. If you can rent for a year and learn the area, it'll help you in the long run. My 2 cents....

Thanks,

Scott
MalibuKayaks Stealth 12
Native Redfish 10

"I believe hard work really makes the man...
....But everyone should WET A LINE, every now an' then!" ~Eric Church

tgreg1

Post by tgreg1 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks for all the help all. I would love to rent for a while but it can't happen. Starting to narrow areas to Amelia Island area, St Johns, and Ponte Verda/St Augustine. Looks like good schools just matter of affordability and somewhat convenient access to fishing. Right now I have to drive about 30 minutes to launch in the Chesapeake Bay so Im accustom to that.

Kudzu

Post by Kudzu » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:41 pm

I don't think anyone has asked where you're going to work/school/whatever's bringing you to town.

I think that's a big thing to consider when you think about your daily commute, not just schools and fishing spots.
Kudzu - Wilderness First Aid Certified
Team Fishbusters
Twitter @redfshwhisperer
- Native Slayer 14.5
“Every time someone buys a Salt Life sticker, a school of permit dies." Scott Davis, LFS

weimed

Post by weimed » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:55 pm

I currently live in clay county. Schools are good and nice homes are cheap. Far from everything though. Takes me close to an hour to get to heckscher dr and over an hour to get to the creeks. Took me 1.2 hours to get to guana lake. Just a little info, guana is great for trout and heckscher creeks are good for reds, all of them from clapboars, brown, and the infamous Simpsons creek.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Amelia Island is a great small town community with great schools. Haven't regretted my move here in 2001. Lots of folks commute to J'ville.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

tgreg1

Post by tgreg1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:13 am

I won't have a commute as I can work from home :). My wife however will, to downtown Jacksonville. An hour or so is fine for the commute. Where we are now you can be 20 miles away and still take an hour with traffic.