New launching spot

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

pirogue

Re: New launching spot

Post by pirogue » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:58 pm

Finally some progress! After the rain has hampered us badly for two weeks, we got in with a bunch of volunteers from the aerospace academy and made major progress at the new site today! Eight high schoolers accompanied by 3 adults to operate machinery tore into the area today. There was much swinging of machetes and clippers and bow saws as well as one bush hog and one big mower and the changes are amazing. For those that have asked about the area, you turn into the convention center from Casa Cola Way. When you come to the end of the street in front of the convention center you will see a chain across the grass continuation of the street. That is the entrance to the area by vehicle. Just to the right of that (South) you will see a freshly cut trail through the woods and that is a foot entrance. The two run together after perhaps 100 yards. From there on, the area extends due East just outside the fence of the airport. Legitamately we aren't open but if you want to see the area I don't think anyone would question you in daytime hours if you wish to walk in on foot. No part of the area is in the airport restricted zone. I expect we will have more volunteers out next Saturday if not before. If anyone wants to come and bring machetes or clippers or whatever you are welcome. I can't authorize anyone to use power equipment because the airport maintenance group has jurisdiction and they want to individually approve everyone. Feel free to contact me any time from 9AM to 11PM on my cell phone at 904-327-4047 either voice or text. Again thanks to everyone for the ideas so far as well as the encouragement.
Gerry

stokes

Post by stokes » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:51 pm

That's fantastic, Gerry! Can't wait to check it out. I might make a road trip this afternoon...

stokes

Post by stokes » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Well with all the rain we've had plus my shoulder surgery rehab, I've been delayed getting down there until this morning. But I did get out there this morning and it looks good. It was dry ground all the way down to the launch and it looked like there will be access at lower tides to launch and retrieve, may just need some clearing. Repairs on the existing dock would be great and ensure access at all tides. Just wanted to post an update for anybody interested. :thumbright:

bnics124

Post by bnics124 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 am

Is the launch complete? Would like to paddle out in that area

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

StarzOfChaos

Post by StarzOfChaos » Mon May 16, 2016 7:55 pm

I looked at it on google earth... looks like something is going up. Might have to drive out there and see.
-Jackson Cuda 14 Urban Camo