New launching spot

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

amorgan

Re: New launching spot

Post by amorgan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:52 pm

Our local non-profit in Fernandina Beach is raising funds to build a kayak launch in Fernandina Beach. I would definitely encourage you to look into an accessible kayak launch providing access to kayakers and fisherman of all abilities. There are some pretty cool options out there.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:45 pm

There are currently a limited number of kayak launches located on Amelia Island. Tidal influences and limited public access have caused this to be a problem for years.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

stokes

Post by stokes » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Gerry was gracious enough to give me a tour of the launch ramp and surrounding proposed recreation area. This is the real deal with multiple small lakes, nature trails, observation area, and launching ramp. I'll post a Google Earth map of the area if Gerry says it's ok, and if anybody wants to contact me via PM I'd be happy to answer any questions. They have an aggressive schedule at getting the area opened to the public, and I'm blown away at the access this will provide. Thanks for your time, Gerry. Look forward to helping out any way I can.

Jeremy

flteng

Post by flteng » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:10 pm

I work out at the St Augustine Airport and have wanted to fish the back side of it for some time. Please if you get something going let us know. I'd be willing to pay a fee to launch n
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

stokes

Post by stokes » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:18 pm

flteng wrote:I work out at the St Augustine Airport and have wanted to fish the back side of it for some time. Please if you get something going let us know. I'd be willing to pay a fee to launch n
I've scouted this area via Google Earth and have wanted to check it out as well. Per Gerry, this will be open to the public and there was no mention of entrance/usage fees. I believe one of the concerns at this stage is how to keep it pristine and avoid any vandalism.

**The area is not open yet; there is still work underway. Gerry said he'll post a note when it is open to the public.**

This is the launch area and surrounding recreation and observation areas :thumbright:

pirogue

Post by pirogue » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys. I had plans to start mowing and bush hogging today and continuing through tomorrow but the tropical storm problem has us on hold until after it has passed. The airport has special procedures for when there is a named storm in the area and they require the use of all their equipment. I do hope to get the first mowing and bush hogging done next week but since all my labor is volunteer I am somewhat limited in planning. Thanks to Jeremy who came down and looked over our area on Tuesday and offered several excellent suggestions. I will say that there is a lot of tide in our area and I don't fore see the launch being useable anywhere near low tide. It's possible that we could do some dredging but I wouldn't count on it.

Gerry

RazeNCain

Post by RazeNCain » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:01 pm

If you need some help clearing on the weekends I'm free. Not sure if I'd be allowed in but it's only a few minutes away, just pm me if you'd like some extra hands.

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Awesome job. I think this is awesome for the kayak community.

TheWarrant

Post by TheWarrant » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:55 am

JohnYaksJax wrote:If you want a VERY GOOD example of a very poorly developed kayak/canoe launch area, check out "Castaway Island" in Jax on Pablo Road, and developed and run by the City of Jax....COJ. The park is very nice, but the launch area is almost useless except for a very short "window" before and after High Tides!!
I use this launch point quite a bit. I came back one day at a -0.4 low tide and was locked out coming in the northern path. I paddled around to the southern access route and paddled right in. It was skinny to be sure, but I didn't have to wait or walk. I like the fact that they have a floating dock and that I'm not looking for a parking space amongst the power boat / trailer folks.

Not arguing with anyone, just saying that the southern access is good even at moderate negative tides. Now the haul from the parking lot to the dock itself is long and you'll need a cart for sure, or someone to help you carry, and make several trips to load your gear. The other issue I don't care for about that particular dock is that sometimes I'll come in and there will be people fishing from the dock with several lines out. They seem to think it's a huge inconvenience to pull their lines in so I can dock / unload. Then they get more upset when I'm trying to get my yak up on the cart and need some room to maneuver. I wish the COJ would put up a 'No Fishing from the dock' sign.
Retired U.S. Navy
Retired Gainesville Regional Utilities
Retired!!!

"If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough!"

ChippyDiesel

Post by ChippyDiesel » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:11 am

This is awesome and I really like that you are asking for our input. There really are too many poorly planned launches. A poured concrete ramp is nice but sand is much nicer to pull a kayak up on, most likely much cheaper too. If there is a way to increase parking by gathering funds from local kayakers/microskiffers I'm sure you could raise more than enough through a go fund me account or something similar. Host a tournament and put the proceeds toward increasing parking capacity..?

I think one of the best launches I have used is Dutton Island. All hard sand with a nice floating dock, which unfortunately is used for fishing off more than anything. Parking is ample and you can drive almost all the way to the water. This set up sounds like it will be similar which is great.

I wonder how many guys we could get out there with shovels do dig a little kayak canal so low tide access wasn't as big of an issue?

weimed

Post by weimed » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 am

ChippyDiesel wrote:This is awesome and I really like that you are asking for our input. There really are too many poorly planned launches. A poured concrete ramp is nice but sand is much nicer to pull a kayak up on, most likely much cheaper too. If there is a way to increase parking by gathering funds from local kayakers/microskiffers I'm sure you could raise more than enough through a go fund me account or something similar. Host a tournament and put the proceeds toward increasing parking capacity..?

I think one of the best launches I have used is Dutton Island. All hard sand with a nice floating dock, which unfortunately is used for fishing off more than anything. Parking is ample and you can drive almost all the way to the water. This set up sounds like it will be similar which is great.

I wonder how many guys we could get out there with shovels do dig a little kayak canal so low tide access wasn't as big of an issue?
Count me in any weekend.

flteng

Post by flteng » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm missing something here. Based on the google earth pic that launch point is on airport property which requires an access badge. The road next to it is a taxiway.
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

stokes

Post by stokes » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:17 pm

flteng wrote:I'm missing something here. Based on the google earth pic that launch point is on airport property which requires an access badge. The road next to it is a taxiway.
Yes, it is on airport property, but it's not a badged entrance. The launch area will share the entrance to the Convention Center.

I've been going to the Fly By Café for breakfast for forever, and I'm almost as excited about the observation area that's planned, with picnic tables and some amazing oak trees and trails.

Count me in for any sweat equity needed to get this thing going.

flteng

Post by flteng » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:43 am

Look out the window by the salad bar side and you look right into my hanger. What road do I take to access that area? I'd like to check it out,look not launch
Jackson Big Tuna
Coosa HD
Cuda 14
CudaHD

stokes

Post by stokes » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 pm

I believe the Convention Center is located on Indian Bend.