Flounder Gigging

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

Nakamoto2

Flounder Gigging

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello Everyone, for those that do not know me, my name is Ron Nakamoto and I am currently enrolled in a grad school and working on a class project for my graduates study and part of that is developing a support network to help people out in something. To go along with what I have done in the past I would like to see if I could provide support in flounder gigging, especially for those people who have never done it and are interested in starting. I hoping to use this thread as one of my eLearning communities to share what I know and have experienced with flounder gigging. If you are interested in knowing more about flounder gigging please join me. Thanks for reading this and hope to talk to you soon. I will post items every day in hoping to start conversation and and answer some of your questions.

Here is one of the items I shared for how to build your own light - http://www.slideshare.net/ronnakamoto1/ ... nder-light
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

Nakamoto2

What do I need?

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Keep in mind this is only what I bring and after some research and few times out there you will find what works for you

- Fishing license
- Gigging light: Check out this link to learn how to build your own Gigging pole: some people use stainless steel gigs and others just get a cheap spear and put it on a broom stick. I use an 8 foot bamboo stick with a spear on the end. Check your state fishing laws to see if barbs are allowed.
- Head lamp: I use this when I am adding fish to the stringer. It also serves as a backup light.
- Stringer or float: I use the Berkley deluxe stringer (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Delux ... r/16880480). Once I get my first flounder I tie one end to my belt and allow the flounder to swim behind me as I walk along the water. I carry a knife so if a shark decides he wants the fish more than I do, I can quickly let him have dinner. Some people make floats made from PVC to trawl the flounder and keep them out of the water.
- Backpack: I carry a fairly big 12-volt battery in the backpack and run a wire from the top of the light pole straight down the top of the backpack into the battery. I use electrical tape to secure the wires to the battery, so they aren’t accidentally pulled out.
- A place to gig
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

Nakamoto2

Gigging for Doormats (Flounder)

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:43 pm

gig-flounder-camouflaged.jpg
gig-flounder-camouflaged.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
Gigging for Doormats sounds pretty funny to most people.

Hum, first off, why would anyone want to gig a doormat? Maybe a warning to door-to-door salesman to get off your stoop?

A Doormat is what locals call a Flounder because they look like doormats on the ocean floor. In Panama City, Gigging for Doormats is a popular sporting event in the spring and summer months.

Many guides around the state offer this fun alternative to hook and line fishing. You can also go gigging for frogs or fish. Locals find this sport just as exciting as hooking up a big fish.

Information gathered from http://www.floridagofishing.com
Last edited by Nakamoto2 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

Nakamoto2

What is a Gig?

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:44 pm

For those of you who do not know what a Gig is, it is a pole with a forked-end containing one or more sharp spears called barbed tines. A gig is also called a spear, trident, trishul or leister.

Gig's are in the same category as spear guns so the Rules for Spearing apply to Gigs - it is OK to use a gig to catch a fish as long as it is not on the can't spearfish list and you are not allowed to gig in Collier or Monroe Counties. You may NOT spear, bowfish or gig: in Volusia County inland waters with the exception of Flounder and Sheepshead using a spear with three or fewer prongs. Always inquire locally as to the rules to stay out of trouble. See Fishing Regulations for the rules.
Attachments
gig-head.jpg
gig-head.jpg (2.85 KiB) Viewed 2925 times
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

Nakamoto2

Pinterest

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 pm

I will pin some of the things I fine to help out with equipment and what flounder look like in the water. Really, once you see the flounder for the first time you will typically be able to easily spot them again. For many people until they see it they tend to have a hard time spotting them.

https://www.pinterest.com/ronnakamoto/flounder-gigging/
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

DaveInYak

Re: Flounder Gigging

Post by DaveInYak » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:06 am

Very nice info Ron.

Now if you will just PM me the spot you took that pic from for the doormat and any other spots like this I will pass you with an A-. The only way to get the A+ is to take me to said spots and hold the battery and stringer :smoke:

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 pm

DaveinYak, there are a few guys on here that took up my gig after I left the area so I can't burn them by giving up my spots but I am sure they would be willing to show you.
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

stokes

Post by stokes » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm going to try and use this tutorial to rig something for my SUP. Awesome info, thanks for sharing.

keastman

Post by keastman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:03 am

There are some kits for sups for led strips and they light up real well, unfortunately, they are a bit pricey.

Tmdfam

Post by Tmdfam » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Nakamoto2 wrote:Hello Everyone, for those that do not know me, my name is Ron Nakamoto and I am currently enrolled in a grad school and working on a class project for my graduates study and part of that is developing a support network to help people out in something. To go along with what I have done in the past I would like to see if I could provide support in flounder gigging, especially for those people who have never done it and are interested in starting. I hoping to use this thread as one of my eLearning communities to share what I know and have experienced with flounder gigging. If you are interested in knowing more about flounder gigging please join me. Thanks for reading this and hope to talk to you soon. I will post items every day in hoping to start conversation and and answer some of your questions.

Here is one of the items I shared for how to build your own light - http://www.slideshare.net/ronnakamoto1/ ... nder-light

Ron good stuff. As is what would be the cost to get started with the setup mentioned in your article