Anyone know what's going on in Guana, plus non yak report

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

santander

Anyone know what's going on in Guana, plus non yak report

Post by santander » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:30 pm

Since the majority of Guana fisherman are yakkers I figured someone may know what's going on around mid lake at Guana ... There are huge land excavators and tree chopping machines that are clearing out a large chunk of land right on the western shore. In the matter of a couple hours they must have cut 20 or so massive pine trees and were still going after I left, anyone now what's going on? The have cleared a ton of trees there since the previous week, seems much bigger than clearing a road, would they build a building out there? It was about 1/2 mile south of the tower, some trees were falling into the lake fringe and then pulled out onto shore...
Even with all the noise the fishing was great caught a few medium sized trout on topwater early, then drifted around and caught slot red after red on live mullet under a popping cork, Guana is getting fired up
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (41.04 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.92 KiB) Viewed 2457 times

dogyak

Re: Anyone know what's going on in Guana, plus non yak repor

Post by dogyak » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Really , I don't know . I don't like hearing that either . I've haven't been out there since we had a clean up at SML by our duck hunting group . Was going to start going to scout the early teal season and fish it . Been going to palm valley . Hopefully someone will chime in on this .

willy135

Post by willy135 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:20 pm

They maybe doing some timber thinning the way it sounds. Did you see any logging equipment. I know that is how the state off sets some of thier management cost. They do it often in the state forests.

Willy

santander

Post by santander » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:20 pm

Must be; they did have logging equipment from what I could tell. Didn't realize they could log in state parks and reserves, thought that would go against the whole idea of preserving natural habitat... The trees they were cutting must have been 60+years old.. I'm not a tree hugger but it kind of bummed me out

willy135

Post by willy135 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Santander If you look at google earth you can see the changes over the years. Not only does the state off management cost, it could be that the tree may have been planted, the wrong kind or too thick. They use cutting as a management tool.

Willy

Lexicon

Post by Lexicon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:16 am

Overall I think they do a good job managing the land.

SeaDog

Post by SeaDog » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:27 am

I watched this same thing happening. The stand of pine trees they are cutting are some of the tallest most beautiful on the Guana shore line. Makes me upset too. I spend a good bit of time out there on the lake and I almost went to shore to ask just what exactly they were doing?
While down on Micklers road I noticed a warning sign for "logging trucks entering and leaving road" so they must be cutting those beautiful pines trees down to make a buck. Too bad :cry:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
"Wow! What a ride!"

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:46 am

Probably timber management. They will cut down long needle pines and replant them. I know that Matanzas State park was old logging property. They do it often. They will replant as well.