Trout and Flounder are destroying the Menhadan

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

SuaSponte

Trout and Flounder are destroying the Menhadan

Post by SuaSponte » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:00 pm

Been going out in the mornings lately to Reddie Point to polish up on my topwater game. Couldn't resist the live bait though and caught a ridiculous amount of Menhaden. Hook through the back and in the water they went. I was getting instant hits on them, all were bitten clean in half right at he hook too.

Had my rod double over just as I dropped the bait below the water line, attempted to set the hook and reeled in half a bait. Sad life for the bait but the cleanest bite I have ever seen. I am going to start double hooking them, one in the back and one in the tail from now on.

Didnt get any fish in the net but it was fun. Im going to chalk it up to a win considering my skunks and loses lately.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

PikeSlayer

Re: Trout and Flounder are destroying the Menhadan

Post by PikeSlayer » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:12 pm

When they are slamming pogies they will hit a mirrodine, should give it a try

52cobra

Post by 52cobra » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:03 pm

I totally agree Pike, try any of the successful top water lures that are always mentioned on this site: Spook & Spook Jr's, Bite-A-Bait's; Bonk-A-Donk's, I've had recent success with the Unfair top water plugs, anything in the combo of silver/white/orange belly; also the Rapala Skitterwalks work great, and the Seville with the 3 jointed silver minnow in both the 3"*4" really do well for me on top water, Gander Mtn, quite often will have them on sale in Jan after the Xmas retail rush! I've finally have had way more success with all of these varieties of top water plus mentioned above when I finally watched the video from some of these great catches using top water, I was reeling way to slow, I found most the time that a quick steady retrieve really makes the reds and trout come after them, slow and easy does not create enough desire to chase, make it aggressive retrieve and the reds for sure will blow it up! Give it Try, that's the key, you can't have top water success by Not trying it?

Sheepherder

Post by Sheepherder » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:04 pm

SuaSponte wrote:Been going out in the mornings lately to Reddie Point to polish up on my topwater game. Couldn't resist the live bait though and caught a ridiculous amount of Menhaden. Hook through the back and in the water they went. I was getting instant hits on them, all were bitten clean in half right at he hook too.

Had my rod double over just as I dropped the bait below the water line, attempted to set the hook and reeled in half a bait. Sad life for the bait but the cleanest bite I have ever seen. I am going to start double hooking them, one in the back and one in the tail from now on.

Didnt get any fish in the net but it was fun. Im going to chalk it up to a win considering my skunks and loses lately.

What you ever do about that Rod? Live bait is the source dude LOL LOL, be careful out there you may hook into something that will have you drag racing against a container ship LOL.... REALLY!
JR :smoke:

WoodyHuband

Post by WoodyHuband » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm guessing bluefish.

SuaSponte

Post by SuaSponte » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:14 am

Sheepherder wrote:What you ever do about that Rod? Live bait is the source dude LOL LOL, be careful out there you may hook into something that will have you drag racing against a container ship LOL.... REALLY!
JR :smoke:
I havent fixed it yet. I pier fish at Reddie Point, rarely take the Yak out there.
| Sua Sponte |

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

ADIDAF

Post by ADIDAF » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:31 am

If they are sliced clean its probably Bluefish or Spanish.
ADIDAF
All Day I Dream About Fishing!
Malibu eXtreme
Diablo Adios
Sigma Chi-yaker

Plan B

Post by Plan B » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:03 am

WoodyHuband wrote:I'm guessing bluefish.
That was my thought as well.

Although with the water temps, Spanish is also a possibility, but Blues are my guess

Mikeyk280

Post by Mikeyk280 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:51 pm

I caught several 12"-16" blues on FishBites shrimp recently at Reddie point. They hit hard and quick. Doubled the rods over so at least I didn't get skunked. I have thrown everything topwater and sub surface around there with no luck.