Night fishing

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

ThizzleJ

Night fishing

Post by ThizzleJ » Fri May 22, 2015 1:17 pm

Any tips for night fishing on a yak?? I'm not privy to the species that would be targeted and where/how... I'd assume live or fresh dead bait would be best since it would have a scent. Just wondering if it would be worth the effort. Tried using the "search" feature but narrowing down posts with "night" and "fishing" is a bit tough. As always thanks in advance.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 - Yella like a nanner
#RealBoy who frequents Troutzilla Creek on the regular

thinkimgonnayak

Re: Night fishing

Post by thinkimgonnayak » Fri May 22, 2015 1:54 pm

Night fishing's awesome! You can still use arties, the fish can see them. When you start to get into July/August, it's about the only kind of fishing I want to do besides the early morning bite.

Tim Stouder did a great night-fishing seminar last year. Maybe we'll get another one this summer. My advice would be to stick to places that you're semi-familiar with. Also, docks are good places to fish at night. If you pick a night with a good moon, you don't even need a headlamp!
MalibuKayaks Stealth 12
Native Redfish 10

"I believe hard work really makes the man...
....But everyone should WET A LINE, every now an' then!" ~Eric Church

Tmdfam

Post by Tmdfam » Fri May 22, 2015 3:42 pm

float plan
light producing item ( flashlight, head lamp, visi carbon pole)
pfd

fish eat at night. Some become even more aggressive. fish a spot you know inside and out. The reason i say this is that you don't want to push into a creek and get stuck. If you do fish a creek be leery of where boat traffic will come from and don't post up around blind corners or where they might be traveling. if they Cant see you they will run you over.

bait alive and dead, artificial

stealth is key if you are moving and fishing as every noise is amplified 10 fold at night

I may do another seminar on night fishing. it is getting to be that time of year again. much cooler at night

ThizzleJ

Post by ThizzleJ » Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Tmdfam wrote:float plan
pfd

fish eat at night. Some become even more aggressive. fish a spot you know inside and out. The reason i say this is that you don't want to push into a creek and get stuck. If you do fish a creek be leery of where boat traffic will come from and don't post up around blind corners or where they might be traveling. if they Cant see you they will run you over.

stealth is key if you are moving and fishing as every noise is amplified 10 fold at night

I may do another seminar on night fishing. it is getting to be that time of year again. much cooler at night

Thank you for your input TMD... What kind of species do you target at night? I assume that flounder usually don't eat at night and that's why they're gigged. I have been fishing for less than a year in saltwater so I am still pretty ignorant to the techniques. Even more so on a kayak...

Tmdfam

Post by Tmdfam » Fri May 22, 2015 4:15 pm

I target trout and flounder. The reds I catch are by catch. All arties 98% of the time.

Fish & Paddle

Post by Fish & Paddle » Fri May 22, 2015 4:23 pm

What moon phase is preferred at night? I know we can see better the fuller the moon, but what phase do the fish prefer? Thanks!
Sandy

Native Slayer Propel 13 (Copperhead)
Native Slayer Propel 10 (LIzard Lick)

ThizzleJ

Post by ThizzleJ » Fri May 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Tmdfam wrote:I target trout and flounder. The reds I catch are by catch. All arties 98% of the time.
Well dang... You do guided trips??? ;) If you do another seminar I'd definitely like to attend. Thanks for the info.

TexasDave

Post by TexasDave » Fri May 22, 2015 4:29 pm

I told a neighbor that I primarily fish at night. She said, "Why, isnt that when all the fish are sleeping?"

Tmdfam

Post by Tmdfam » Fri May 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Fish & Paddle wrote:What moon phase is preferred at night? I know we can see better the fuller the moon, but what phase do the fish prefer? Thanks!
I fishall phases. That being said best ttimes are 3 days before and after full moon. Fish gotta eat so at night I don't pay a lot of attention to moon phases other than what I mentioned alrwady

Fish & Paddle

Post by Fish & Paddle » Fri May 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks, Tim!
Sandy

Native Slayer Propel 13 (Copperhead)
Native Slayer Propel 10 (LIzard Lick)

kayakling

Post by kayakling » Fri May 22, 2015 9:59 pm

I look for lights with current and depth. All artificial as well. Heavier jigs (1/2 to 1 oz) to bounce that bottom. All kinds of stuff can be found.

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:54 pm

ThizzleJ wrote:
Tmdfam wrote:float plan
pfd

Thank you for your input TMD... What kind of species do you target at night? I assume that flounder usually don't eat at night and that's why they're gigged. I have been fishing for less than a year in saltwater so I am still pretty ignorant to the techniques. Even more so on a kayak...
The flounder eat at night, that's why we go out to gig them. They are lining up to ambush the bait along the shore during low tide. I like to fish at night as there typically less traffic and cooler. As has already been mentioned make sure that you hot areas you are familiar with because at night everything can look different. Make sure to give someone a float plan and stick to it or text that person of it changes.
Ron
"Semper Paratus"