Rigging a canoe with outriggers, electric trolling motor, et

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

dlr441

Rigging a canoe with outriggers, electric trolling motor, et

Post by dlr441 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:09 pm

I realize this seems to be a kayak site, but I am attempting to find a few answers and no one seems to be into marine canoes. My wife and I are reaching the age (70) where we no longer care to bother with a 17" power boat.

We have a Grumman 18' aluminum canoe. I also have a Minn Kota 55 lb thrust saltwater motor and a couple of new deep cycle batteries.
I have been a building contractor for a long time so have a bit of experience putting things together.

I would greatly appreciate opinions on attaching a couple of outriggers onto the canoe along with the motor and use it for fishing, mostly in backwaters. I really don't plan on going out into the Gulf, except for a very rare and short trip.

I believe the motor should move the rig pretty well as it would do so with the much heavier boat.

Your advice is appreciated and if I am in the totally incorrect place for my question, please direct me to the right place?

Thanks, David

tadpole

Re: Rigging a canoe with outriggers, electric trolling motor

Post by tadpole » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me! I'm not into canoes but don't have anything against them, and lots of folks here use them. I would check out the stabilizers from Spring Creek. I have one on a kayak and my wife loves it.
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

DougyMillCove

Post by DougyMillCove » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Welcome aboard!
I canoe a bit more than I kayak and have found this site to be an asset for both. There are a couple of other canoe guys here that I'm sure will chime in and also there is a search function that will lead you to some great information. I'm a builder by trade as well and I'm currently modifying a canoe for the exact same purpose.
Welcome again!
DMC

putt&paddle

Post by putt&paddle » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:58 am

Hey David, I bought a rowing kit for my Gheenoe from SailBoatsToGo.com to get around more easily in the NMZ and am very happy with it. I know they have stabilizer kits on the site. Was very pleased with the quality of the kit. Heres the link. Tight lines John

http://www.sailboatstogo.com
Diablo Amigo
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Pro Angler 12
Gheenoe Highsider

tadpole

Post by tadpole » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:47 am

Yeah - those are the ones from Spring Creek. The only difference in the applications is the mounting hardware, all the rest is the same. Well made and effective.
Tadpole

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

Gatorbite

Post by Gatorbite » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:21 pm

I’ve been using the Spring Creek stabilizers for years and love them, could sit on the side of my tandem kayak without any concern of flipping and I am not a tiny man by any means. I think the Ethafoam stabilizer would be the better choice for your needs as the Hydrodynamic stabilizers would be over kill and would add too much weight; unless of course you were planning on adding a sail kit later down the road. I also have one of their kayak/canoe motor mounts (tilt model) which is rated up to 5hp and it too is a solid little unit, in fact everything Spring Creek sales is top notch gear and since they are a family run business, I have always enjoyed spending my money at their website, you can’t beat the service. Also note that I presently have one motor mounts for sale if you happen to still need one, thought I was going to add a trolling motor to my kayak at one time but found out about the registration requirements and never felt like dealing with the hassle, especially since I already had a sail kit. I will make you a good deal if you need it since it has been sitting my garage for a very long time unused, just pm me.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Not sure why anyone would put stabilizers on a big canoe like this. You wouldn't want to use them unless you are parked. Otherwise the drag would kill your speed with the trolling motor. You would want to rig them so you could lift them from the water when under power.

Several years ago I had a "tippy" kayak and put stabilizers on it. After two trips I realized they were more trouble than what they were worth.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Gatorbite

Post by Gatorbite » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:30 pm

How you set the stabilizers up is an important part of how they respond in the water, I tend to set my stabilizers anywhere from 2 to 6 inches above the waterline depending on wind conditions, this way there is little to no drag but plenty of stability should my kayak tilt or when I am standing up in the kayak. Then there is actually two reasons not to set them down in the water, the first being extra drag and the second is the fact that the stabilizer tends to turn a little bit sideways depending on the current conditions, which also effects steering. The goal of a stabilizer is to keep the vessel upright and set at 2 to 6 inches above the waterline they will do so safely, even under power of a 45 sq. ft. sail, such as the one I use on my kayak. They are easy to pop off when not needed, as all you do is pull out two pins and the unit lifts right off the deck of my kayak; for a canoe all you do is loosen two thumb bolts and the whole unit can be removed when not needed; the same goes for the motor mount. Now with all that said I will also add that the entire unit does add a fair amount of additional weight, so keep that in mind if you are trying to decide if you want to purchase a set but if you do and life ever gets boring, you also have the option of adding the bolt on sail kit, which sailboatstogo.com carries and then hold on for the ride.

internetpilot

Post by internetpilot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Welcome to JKF, David! There are plenty of people here who use canoes, and quite a few of the kayak owners also own canoes. Also, a lot of kayak rigging can be directly applied to canoes as well.

Here's a thread about how I rigged my canoe: topic30202.html

As for the stabilizers, if you get or make ones that are more of a hard plastic rather than foam, you'll have less drag if you keep them down while moving, even at higher speeds. I used the hard plastic lobster floats and they work well. As you can see in the above link, they're easy to lift out of the water with the Scotty rod holder mounts.

Initially, I put the stabilizers on my canoe to make my two young boys feel safer out on the water, but now that I mostly solo fish even when I use the canoe rather than my kayak, I still usually bring the stabilizers. They come in handy for easy standing.

If you have any specific questions after reviewing the above thread, don't hesitate to ask.
-- Chris :thumbleft:
Coleman Scanoe
Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PDMartin

Post by PDMartin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm

20151028_162447_1.jpg
Rockport Texas
20151028_162447_1.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
As much as I enjoy canoes, using them for fishing along the gulf becomes an iffy thing when the waves pick up and the wind begins to blow. I had a set of the factory outrigger styrofoam but do not like them much. Foam eventually broke down and left me with metal collars and a couple of aluminum cross braces.

I like aluminum and had a good selection of scraps from old projects so I decided to create an outrigger that I thought may work under the water conditions I face. I went out a good four feet to the right side of the canoe to a fabricated outrigger made of closed cell foam and covered with fiberglass and painted. The rig fits snugly with two main bolt holes in the right canoe edge and a an overhang with clamp on the opposite side. I even mounted a fish scale for measuring to it as well as a cooler for keeping bait cold and as a repository for any keepers that come my way. The whole unit is riveted and I built it much like it had been made out of wood instead of aluminum. I dedicated a blade for cutting on my miter saw and kept clear of the "dust".

Though the picture does not show it, I also have a 55 hp trolling motor that I mount up front to pull while I guide in the rear. The weight of the motor and battery was better handled up there. Though paddling amounted to more than 50% it was nice to just cruise under the trolling motor. Adding the motor also required that I register the canoe with the state. It is a stiff fine when caught and not worth it.

This canoe is extremely stable and allows for standing upright whenever wanted. Anchors front and rear allow us to position the canoe however wanted to fish in the direction we want. Using this canoe in the shallows where even our flatbottom boat could not go
has been very productive. In the last three trips with the canoe, we have outfished all our results for the previous three years of fishing from the baymaster. Same waters mostly, just shallower. It takes ten minutes or less to attach the outrigger to the canoe. Last trip out we crossed the bay with winds 25 to 30. Fishing not really that great under those conditions but the 17 foot Grumman with outrigger handled the chop with dignity. When my buddy gets tired of sitting upright in the front, he opens up a camp chair which fits perfectly within the canoe. He calls it his floating lazy boy. The only downside to the outrigger comes into play if and when your catch finally sees the bottom of the canoe and then goes crazy, sometimes heading to the outrigger side. Just have to manage it best you can. Love my Grumman.

[photobucket][/photobucket]

Pontiac

Post by Pontiac » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:23 pm

PDMartin wrote:
20151028_162447_1.jpg
Goose Island?