Permit for Rallies / Tournaments / Charity Events ?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

NoeEttica

Post by NoeEttica » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:04 am

Given the problems that occurred at the "everglades Challenge" and the threat by the Coast Guard to inflict a $50,000.00 fine on the organizers are "Marine Event Permits going to be the norm ???

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg6/cg611/COI/omb/1625-0008.pdf
If it Floats it's good

Gheenoes are how I float ...

To contact me visit my web site and view my video clips

http://www.noeettica.com/

islandspeed2001

Re: Permit for Rallies / Tournaments / Charity Events ?

Post by islandspeed2001 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:08 am

What happened at the Everglades Challenge?
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

NoeEttica

Post by NoeEttica » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:16 am

Here is an unbiased assessment by someone I respect a great deal ...Hopefully he does not mind the cross post .

A long read but worth it in my opinion ...

thanks for asking :smoke:

http://watertribe.org/microtom/
If it Floats it's good

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:55 pm

NoeEttica.....Thank you for posting the results and issues that occurred during the EC Race.

Very thought provoking and interesting reading and I hope it gets resolved easily and they continue the race!!
JohnYaksJax

Lexicon

Post by Lexicon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Everything is fine until someone looks bad, or there is money to be made, all in the name of safety of course. Cant have you doing something to kill yourself when tax payer money is on the line.

Nakamoto2

Post by Nakamoto2 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:18 am

MEPs have always been required and is nothing new. You can even submit one online https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/e ... t_form.jsp. Basically, this is a way to make sure all safety precautions have been taken. Yes many people here and other events do take safety precautions but it is always great to have another set of eyes to review an actual plan, not just one persons plan that they have in their mind. Some locations (local and State) require additional permits or just use the Coast Guards also. It also allows the Coast Guard and local partners to plan for their schedule. What I mean by this, is that if there are a lot of marine events going on during an already busy weekend these permits allow the Coast Guard and partners to plan on having enough resources available to respond in case of an emergency. This event might be a good example, on a day to day routine you have a certain amount of responders but if they had known about this event specifically, the Coast Guard and locals might have placed additional resources on stand by knowing that there was a lot more traffic and freeing up the normal Coast Guard crews to respond to other emergencies. It also allows for a broadcast to go out letting other marine traffic know that there is an event going on so that they are aware to help or avoid if need be. I am not saying that this even was not well planned out since I was not there and not every "get together" will require one but its never a bad idea to give your local Coast Guard or FWC a call to check to make sure you do not need one.

If you or an organizer answers “YES” to any of the following questions, a permit may be required:

- Is your event being held on or near the navigable waters of the United States?
- Will the event take place in or near a designated environmentally sensitive area, a critical habitat containing threatened or endangered species or an area of historic, cultural, or archeological significance?
- Does the event involve an inherently hazardous competition? (Example: A speed boat race with vessels traveling greater than 30 miles per hour)
- Could the event cause any obstructions of the navigable channel or change the customary presence of commercial or pleasure craft in the area.
- Is there an expected accumulation of spectator craft?
- Could the event present a substantial threat to the safety of human life on navigable waters?
- Are you requesting the use of Coast Guard resources or the issuance of a special local regulation or safety zone?
Ron
"Semper Paratus"

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:36 am

Is there an expected accumulation of spectator craft?

Only at the bait shop early in the morning
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:45 am

We used to get MEPs for the Classic since the first year, then a few years ago they returned our MEP app and told us it was not necessary for our event since we have no accumulation of craft, kayaks were not gathering in one place, our event is distributed across such a wide geographical area, it was during dayligt hours, and our event structure did not require any USCG resources to support it etc.

They just told us to relay the save the manatee message and enjoy a safe event.

Of course, an event in which folks are encouraged to proceed during a small craft warning with an event that has quite a bit of risk built into its structure, and entrants that are a bunch of hardhead paddlers that think they can handle any conditions and don't need any support, is simply a nightmare waiting to happen, for everyone concerned including the USCG.

The organizers were at substantial fault by not doing their homework and finding out if any permitting was required and they rightly have been identified as the negligent party no matter how many waivers they had their entrants sign. I find them calling the fines a "stupid tax" to be appropriate only because the stupid people that cost the taxpayers an inordinate expense as a result of their negligent compliance with the law and poor event management were fined.

Just my opinion of course... :salute:
"This is my signature not my facebook page."

NoeEttica

Post by NoeEttica » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Thank you Mike :-) Like Tom you are the "Voice of Reason"
KayakMike wrote:We used to get MEPs for the Classic since the first year, then a few years ago they returned our MEP app and told us it was not necessary for our event since we have no accumulation of craft, kayaks were not gathering in one place, our event is distributed across such a wide geographical area, it was during dayligt hours, and our event structure did not require any USCG resources to support it etc.

They just told us to relay the save the manatee message and enjoy a safe event.

Of course, an event in which folks are encouraged to proceed during a small craft warning with an event that has quite a bit of risk built into its structure, and entrants that are a bunch of hardhead paddlers that think they can handle any conditions and don't need any support, is simply a nightmare waiting to happen, for everyone concerned including the USCG.

The organizers were at substantial fault by not doing their homework and finding out if any permitting was required and they rightly have been identified as the negligent party no matter how many waivers they had their entrants sign. I find them calling the fines a "stupid tax" to be appropriate only because the stupid people that cost the taxpayers an inordinate expense as a result of their negligent compliance with the law and poor event management were fined.

Just my opinion of course... :salute:
If it Floats it's good