Camp Blanding help

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

bigfish5

Camp Blanding help

Post by bigfish5 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:08 am

I posted this on the Florida Sportsman but I wanted to ask here also. Any thought are appreciated.

Hello all, I fish all the time but have very limited hunting experience. I have been trying to find a place to hunt but have had no luck. Then it hit me, why not try Camp Blanding? I mean damn, I have lived in Middleburg for 20 years. I think all I need is a hunting license, a WMA stamp, and a deer stamp. I can get that at walmart tomorrow. I have no idea where to hunt. How do I know if someone is already hunting the area? I would like to hunt on Sunday if that is possible. Maybe find a place to hang a stand on Saturday. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Dane
904-234-0368

ratred

Re: Camp Blanding help

Post by ratred » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:10 am

Hey Dane, I am currently looking into hunting Camp Blanding within the next couple of weeks as well. I know it is a daily quota system after the first nine days of general gun, and you have to check in and out at a checkpoint. I actually know nothing about the area, not being from Jacksonville or doing much deer hunting myself, but I would be wary of leaving a stand anywhere overnight on public land. A hanging stand without the climbing sticks might not be an issue, but people tend to steal anything they can get their hands on. Let me know how your experience goes, and I will fill you in on mine. I hunt solo so I would be happy to start using the buddy system. I will PM you my number. Good luck and be careful.

bigfish5

Post by bigfish5 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:08 am

That sounds good ratred. I will let you know what I find out.

rdy1971

Post by rdy1971 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:03 am

Way to many people out there, go by it every day and there is a line of trucks flowing in.

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Daily quota is no more than 200 people. Hunted several times and will never go back. Just my experience. Caught a guy sitting in a chair in a back of a truck on a fire break scooping everyone who crossed. Also had 4 idiots walk in on the trail with my truck parked on it 8am and yelled up to me in my stand asking if I saw anything yet. My reply was nope just 4 stupid county boys. They didn't get my answer.

ratred

Post by ratred » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:46 pm

...well that's discouraging. The more I hear about public land horror stories the more I want to just try for a lease somewhere.