Arties only
18%
Both
79%

Total votes: 39

islandspeed2001

Classic - Bait and/or Arties

Post by islandspeed2001 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm

It would be interesting to see what type of bait/lures everyone is planning on using for the upcoming Classic. Are you going to use bait only, arties only or both?
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

RockStarDave

Classic - Bait and/or Arties

Post by RockStarDave » Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm

I was thinking of arti only but might get some muds now due to wind. might want to have something to soak a little hard to paddle and cast in 10mph wind. As far as lure will be using some slayer sst that I got to try them, and my go to badonkadonk and yozuri. I'm so exited to see what people catch this yeah hope I get a big fish or two myself. Either way have fun out there and good luck only two more days!!

snookslayer

Re: Classic - Bait and/or Arties

Post by snookslayer » Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 pm

If everything goes as planned a 25in trout, and 30in redfish will come in thanks to my trusty DOA shrimp. Then a 18in flounder will kill a finger mullet of mine. This all leads to me having a 73in slam and winning the classic.

Ring King

Post by Ring King » Thu May 10, 2012 8:35 am

I'm throwing all artificials. I hate bait fishing. I tried it in Browns Creek on Tuesday but ended up just dumping the bait bucket and sticking with artis. I just don't have the patience to soak bait and watch a rod tip. That decision will probably knock me out of the running for the Classic, but I know that it'll be more fun fishing that way. Guess it all comes down to my bass fishing background. I like to move and fish not anchor or stake out. I've got to stay busy to enjoy the fishing. I'm sure with 17mph winds I'll be plenty busy!!! :lol:
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2014 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2017 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2017 Hobie Outback

MrTopWater

Post by MrTopWater » Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 am

Snookslayer

Now you have the perfect plan, hope it works out for you. Im sure there are three to four hundred other kayak fishermen(women) with the same idea, including myself...Goodluck :thumbright:
Kevin

Native Mariner 12.5
Diablo Paddlesports Adios

KayakMike

Post by KayakMike » Thu May 10, 2012 9:03 am

Both is wise ;) BTW fishing with bait does not require Bait & Wait :rr: If you are fishing shrimp on a jig or a float rig like a cajun thunder you need to move it around and move yourself around and find the fish.
"This is my signature not my facebook page."

fishstoner

Post by fishstoner » Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 am

I'll be fishing both artificial and live. Soak some and
cast a ton of artificial then troll between locations. I keep 4 - 5 rods set up with spoons, top waters, popin cork, bottom rig, and redfish magic or something else. If it aint working I dump ot for the next thing. You have to mix it up to see what they want today.
I live for Sunrise!
TEAM INSHORE
Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5

MrTopWater

Post by MrTopWater » Thu May 10, 2012 9:56 am

Jerry
To answer your question, I will be targeting my trout at first light with a topwater plug. Then I plan on fishing for my red with live bait, cut bait, or fresh blue crab. Then hopefully comes the flounder on a jighead with arties, muds, or finger mullet.

Kevin L.
Kevin

Native Mariner 12.5
Diablo Paddlesports Adios

fishingfool27

Post by fishingfool27 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 am

Top water for trout. Then live and cut bait for flounder and red.
Life's a garden dig it. (Native Ultimate 12)

ladr6

Post by ladr6 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 am

Don't mean to get off topic, but I heard that cutting up a lady fish and soaking it is a good way to get the reds. This true? Also, do you just take a chunck out of the middle and throw the rest away? On bottom or hanging from the float? Would like to try it. I seem to catch a good deal of ladyfish..

crusher

Post by crusher » Thu May 10, 2012 11:04 am

Soft bait rolled in lady fish guts with a shrimp teaser.

Weekend Warrior

Post by Weekend Warrior » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

both

If I am in a tourney where they allow the use of bait, darn right I am going to bring the buffet!

But, I will be throwing artificial at least half the time.
"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you command the attention of the World"

yakem

Post by yakem » Thu May 10, 2012 12:50 pm

This is my first tourney so I am gonna try and throw everything in my tackle box if possible. Unless I find something that working real good as I have something mullet,mud,cut,shrimp and whatever else I can find soaking. So I'm going for broke as u can say!! "YAKEM"
IF YOU CAN'T CATCH EM THEN "YAKEM"!!
MALIBU X FACTOR (GRAY)

SRAces

Post by SRAces » Thu May 10, 2012 1:08 pm

I'll probably look like that reference in another thread to a "shrimp boat"...lol. Last week, I caught a 19" flounder on a mud minnow that I was trolling out the back as I slowly peddled to another location. So in that case I wasn't sitting still and waiting for a bite with the live bait. I caught my trout and red on shrimp with a popping cork. I'll be using both artifical and live bait on Saturday. Good luck all! :thumbright:
Steve Stubbs
USAF (retired)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

Weekend Warrior

Post by Weekend Warrior » Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

ladr6 wrote:Don't mean to get off topic, but I heard that cutting up a lady fish and soaking it is a good way to get the reds. This true? Also, do you just take a chunck out of the middle and throw the rest away? On bottom or hanging from the float? Would like to try it. I seem to catch a good deal of ladyfish..
YES! Ladyfish is redfish filet mignon!

Cut it into steaks, and rig up a fish finder rig with a circle hook or use a standup jig head and chuck it into your favorite redfish hole at low tide, then keep the bail open and a finger on the line, you will feel them inhale it, once they do, let them walk away with it for a few seconds then set the hook Bill Dance style and hang on!

You can even use the whole head and hook it straight through the eyes.

Caught many piggy sized reds using this method!
"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you command the attention of the World"