Rod/Reel Setup

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

gumby

Rod/Reel Setup

Post by gumby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Can someone please tell me what a good Rod/Reel would be for this area? I am primarliy thinking of fishing for Red/Black Drum, Trout and Flounder.

I currently own a 6'6" Ugly stick casting rod with a ABU Garcia Ambassador 5600c bait caster with 12lb test mono.

And a Open face spinning reel with a light medium ugly stick with 12lb test mono.

I am looking for a setup that i can use on both fresh and salt.

thanks.
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

BenPaddlin

Re: Rod/Reel Setup

Post by BenPaddlin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:53 pm

Sounds like you're set as is. Only thing I would suggest is switching over to braid.
OK Trident 13
OK Drifter 12
Northeast Outfitters Canoe 14

JeffreyMcGovern

Post by JeffreyMcGovern » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:20 pm

You should be good to go on the set ups. Mono, braid or superline is an anglers choice. The bait cast rig should be fine the spinning rig would be enhanced with superline (Fireline) or braid (PowerPro). If you elect not to use a superline or braid then drop to 8lb mono for increased casting distance. Just be sure it's not the inexpensive no name bulk mono, use a premium brand. My basic mono choice is Momoi High Catch. A leader is needed in many cases to avoid cut offs on rough structure or the fish themself. A good start is a section of 20lb mono for topwater lures on either rig. For sinking baits fluorocarbon works better, the 20lb version is fine. The biggest issue is to be sure you clean up your gear after each use in saltwater. That includes your lures.

http://www.jeffstacklebox.com

jaeforceone

Post by jaeforceone » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 pm

just got a 7'6" St Croix Avid Inshore paired with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 3000 loaded with 10lb sufix 832.
Native Manta Ray 14 Sand

Stalker1211

Post by Stalker1211 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:39 am

There are going to be WAY to many answers to this question, and all of them will be right from each persons perspective. The Question really is: What works for you? Dude if you'd like, just gimme a call at 407-625-3367 and we can chit-chat about rods, reels, lines, whatev; that way we can discuss all options in one sitting. Names Justin, keep me posted if your interested :cool:
Perception Caster 12.5
8ft. TiCa SEHA Heavy w/ Stradic 4000

gumby

Post by gumby » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:33 am

Justin...PM sent
James aka Gumby
My kayak "the red roadster" is so short, I can load it IN the car.
My Fleet...
Red Flex 9' sit inside
Green Pelican Castaway 11' 6"
2012 Hobie PA 14'

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:49 am

Hey Gumby....Like Jeffrey said above, you should be good to go with what you have for the species that you named!!

The "open faced spinner" Ugly Stick "may" be a little light, but you will learn that once you tangle with some bigger fish, but the main thing is just to get out there and fish!!
JohnYaksJax

Gumby002

Post by Gumby002 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 am

I took my baitcaster and light ugly stick out with my daughter to the intercoastal. My buddy who gave me the baitcaster was concerned that I took a freshwater baitcaster to salt. Is there a difference?
New to Jacksonville....Aug22

JeffreyMcGovern

Post by JeffreyMcGovern » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 am

Most reels with the exception of the magnesium super light frame reels are fine in a saltwater environment. Magnesium is not happy with saltwater at all and even with the coatings used are still the most vulnerable to problems with corrosion. The ABU reel you mentioned is fine in saltwater so long as it is properly carred for an lubed for the job at hand. The most vulnerable areas on a multipiece frame ABU casting reel are the level wind worm gear and the palming side plate. Be sure the level wind is lightly lubed and kept clean. The side plate screws need to be snug and it help to have a thin grease layer under the edge of the plate. I take mine off and then put a thin line of grease at the connection point then reinstall the plate. What happens in the salt is that when we palm the reel especially when wearing gloves it forces saltwater into the seam and takes out the palm side bearing. I've got ABU reels in excess of 40 years old that are still in fine shape after many trips to the flats. It's all in how well we care for the gear that makes a difference. So far as lube in saltwater kayaking situatiions keep it light. Gears get light greasing and the bearings get a touch of a good casting oil such as Rocket Fuel.

http://www.jeffstacklebox.com