Simpson's - No Wake Zone

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

islandspeed2001

Simpson's - No Wake Zone

Post by islandspeed2001 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:20 am

I would guess that the majority of us have at one time experienced an encounter with a jet skier while fishing Simpson's Creek. Just this past Sunday, while fishing with the Wounded Warrior Project, three guys on jet skies came roaring though our group. When we yelled for them to slow down, the only response we got from them was their middle finger.

I am happy to advise that we are very close to getting Simpson's designated as a NO WAKE waterway :cheers:

It appears that all the governing bodies are prepared to install over 20 poles/signs advising that this creek is NO WAKE and subject to fines. FWC is ready to patrol and issue fines to make certain that they honor the no wake zone.

The only thing left to do is that the FWC is required to hold a public hearing on designating this as no wake zone. We are certain that the jet skiers will get notice of this and will be making their appearance at the hearings.

Once we get the exact date of the hearing, we will post the date/time here on the website. Knowing that there is a large number of folks who fish Simpsons, there will be NO problem getting a huge turnout.

In the meantime..... if you are fishing Simpsons and encounter jet skiers, please take VIDEO of their actions. Being able to show their behavior will have a big impact on the results of the hearing. If you have video, you can contact me or Ray/Jodie at Kayak Amelia.

This has been a long time coming. Let's be prepared and offer support to make this happen :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

troutman

Re: Simpson's - No Wake Zone

Post by troutman » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:53 am

You have my vote! :salute:
and on the 7th day GOD created Fishing!

><))))•>....:''><))))•>__..;><))))•>

Gatorbite

Post by Gatorbite » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:04 pm

You have my vote also. I fished Simpson's a number of times over the years and I have often wondered how long it would be before someone got killed or injured by a jet ski, as they go way to fast for that narrow little creek. It is bad enough you have to contend with the jet skiers and motor boats on the Ft. George River and areas around Huguenot Park but they should not be allowed to operate in Simpson's creek, especially so at the neck breaking speeds most of them tend to operate at. Then I would like to see a lot more areas around Jacksonville listed as no wake zones and maybe this is the first step in that direction.

RedFishJax

Post by RedFishJax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:06 pm

I've been out to Simpsons 3-4 times now. The last time out was 2 Saturdays ago, and the jet skiers were all over. I think there were about 15 that past us that day, and almost none of them seemed to care about others in the water. I remember there being 3 boats fishing, a lot of kayakers fishing, and even more people just paddling. Knowing that it could become a no wake zone is great. I know I'd feel much safer.
Jackson Cuda 14 - Urban Camo
YAKANGLER.COM

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:25 pm

No votes required guys..... just your showing up at the hearing when it is scheduled!!!

Should add that this No Wake Zone will also apply to Myrtle Creek :cheers:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

Yankee Yakster

Post by Yankee Yakster » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Awesome! I will be there. :cheers:
2013 Native Slayer Propel
2014 Native Slayer Propel

rollin904

Post by rollin904 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:12 pm

I'll be there as well!
Slayer Propel 13
Jackson Cuda 12

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Count me in... :thumbright:

benny

Post by benny » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:47 pm

You have my support !

Baronvonfatt

Post by Baronvonfatt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:58 pm

I always wonder when I see these post if there is a opposition thread on another website talking about those slow kayaks that are always in the way. lol... Just joking slower is alway better. low and slow!!!
2012 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 (Mango)
Future Beach Angler 160 DLX (Sand)
14ft Coleman Scanoe.

Dreads0518

Post by Dreads0518 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:17 pm

You have my support, wherever the meeting is held. :)

Kayak Amelia needs VIDEO!!!
If your out fishing Simpsons and theres Skis buzzing around, use your camera and take a video.
After extensive, diligent, and scholarly research, there is NO evidence that life should be so serious.
Ultimate 14.5

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Yeap, if your fishing Simpson's or Myrtle this weekend, be sure to take your video camera and have it ready for recording. We are not trying to set-up the jet ski folks, but you can count on several of the dumb AH's to do their typical thing of showing no regard for others on the water.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

onemilehigh

Post by onemilehigh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:16 pm

I often fish in the Simpsons area by boat and also own a Hobie Revolution I fish out of on occasion, but I oppose ANY new slow zones in our area. I oppose it as a taxpayer, my dollar could be used more effectively than installing 20 signs....which also require funds be set aside in perpetuity for maintenance. I oppose it because Florida already has laws on the books for reckless and careless operation, and if jet ski operators are creating a danger than the FWC should be engaged to enforce it. I would prefer the FWC focus on resource violations, not babysitting a creek for jet skis. I oppose it because it targets a specific group, and our waterways are a resource for everyone...no matter how much I hate jet ski's buzzing by me, or people in "my" spot when I arrive. I oppose it because it's the same line of thinking that is used by anti-fishing interests in their efforts to regulate away my access to a public resource. I oppose it because the last thing I want is more government regulation telling me what I can and can't do. I oppose it because just like gun control, only the law abiding and respectful will obey it.....the idiots that cause the real issue will continue doing what they do except now they have a slim chance of getting a ticket.

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:05 pm

Sorry to say it's always the few who ruin it for others. Over the past several years we have witnessed far to many close calls that could have resulted in serious accidents/
death. Sorry, but their INTENTIONAL disregard for others has brought this upon themselves. We have had situations where they have actually tried to capsize kayaks! When they go by creating large wakes and give you the "Bird" you know that their actions are not accidental.

I have found the boaters on Simpson' to be very mindful of others. Remember that a large number of the kayakers on Simpson's are inexperienced kayakers. I worry more about them than myself. When I see/hear them coming I know to take the necessary precautions. Inexperienced folks are at their mercy.

They have ask for the actions being taken!!!
EVO 4G
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

tree3

Post by tree3 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:46 pm

While I agree w/ mile high below, Simpsons is an awefully small body of water to be zipping around in. This will probably get changed once someone get hurt or killed...
onemilehigh wrote:I often fish in the Simpsons area by boat and also own a Hobie Revolution I fish out of on occasion, but I oppose ANY new slow zones in our area. I oppose it as a taxpayer, my dollar could be used more effectively than installing 20 signs....which also require funds be set aside in perpetuity for maintenance. I oppose it because Florida already has laws on the books for reckless and careless operation, and if jet ski operators are creating a danger than the FWC should be engaged to enforce it. I would prefer the FWC focus on resource violations, not babysitting a creek for jet skis. I oppose it because it targets a specific group, and our waterways are a resource for everyone...no matter how much I hate jet ski's buzzing by me, or people in "my" spot when I arrive. I oppose it because it's the same line of thinking that is used by anti-fishing interests in their efforts to regulate away my access to a public resource. I oppose it because the last thing I want is more government regulation telling me what I can and can't do. I oppose it because just like gun control, only the law abiding and respectful will obey it.....the idiots that cause the real issue will continue doing what they do except now they have a slim chance of getting a ticket.