best place to camp and fish?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

damanlee

Post by damanlee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 pm

What's the best place to do some camping and fishing in the jax area?
Tarpon 120 mango
Romans 8:28

JAXFL

Re: best place to camp and fish?

Post by JAXFL » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Anithasia state park in St Augustine. Ocean/beach, salt creek runs along the road. Hard to get into, very busy place for camping.

scottd117

Post by scottd117 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:01 pm

It's a bit of a drive but few years ago I went to South new symerna and fished t
he northern part of mosiquito lagoon and we got a back country
Pass to camp out on one of a few sites that are scattered around the area it was lots of fun and caught tons of fish

Also princess place is really cool too
I go fishing when my wife lets me!

heritage755

Post by heritage755 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Not to thread jack, but I was looking at something along the same lines for a trip with some friends in November. Has anyone kayaked and camped near Moses Creek Conservation or any further information on Anastasia Island?

daddioh

Post by daddioh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:04 am

With the online reservation service that the state parks use now that allow people to reserve a camp site up to 11 months in
advance you'll have a hard time getting into Anastasia. You can go to the park and put your name on the list in case they have a cancellation but it's a long shot.
You might try Ocean Grove in Cresent Beach or Beverly Beach Camp Ground in Flagler.

JAXFL

Post by JAXFL » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:39 am

Just thought of another you might check. Hanna Park up by Mayport Navy Base. Big campground and only a few hundred yards to the beach if you want salt water. You can also drive a short distance to the jetty area.

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 am

I love camping at Anastasia. I han't tried fishing there yet and also I don't remember if any sites are on the water. Another option is Little Talbot Island. I know they have sights on the water next to the boat ramp.

JAXFL

Post by JAXFL » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 am

CJ_Tiz wrote:I love camping at Anastasia. I han't tried fishing there yet and also I don't remember if any sites are on the water. Another option is Little Talbot Island. I know they have sights on the water next to the boat ramp.
Is that not DRY camping (no power, water or sewer) and I don't thing you can run a generator either. Mostly tents.

RedFishJax

Post by RedFishJax » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:30 am

Little Talbot Island and Fort Clinch have camping/fishing.
I haven't camped at either though.
I did put in at Sister's Creek in the spring and paddled out to one of the islands with some friends. We camped there and fished 2 full days. It was fun, but I realized there were a lot of things that we would have liked to have that we couldn't pack on the kayaks.
I may be doing a trip this weekend to Princess Place Preserve and fishing Pellicer, but I haven't decided yet. If I do end up going, I'll let you know what it's like.
Jackson Cuda 14 - Urban Camo
YAKANGLER.COM

JAXFL

Post by JAXFL » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:41 am

I have camped at Fort Clinch twice. the campground is divided, one is on the ocean side and the other is is not. The wind on the beach side is very strong at times. I did not fish there but it is a long walk to get to the water/beach. It is a tough place to get into and is very popular so good luck.

Jwray

Post by Jwray » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 am

Little Talbot has electric and water with a boat ramp on myrtle creek which connects to simpsons.
You can reserve under "floridastateparks.org"
Hugonaut (sp) park and Hanna park are city parks. Hanna park will have water and electric.
Faver Dykes park is one of the most beautiful parks i've camped at and has a ramp on Pellicier creek. They are also under floridastateparks and have water and electric.
Tomoka state park is only an hour away on the Tomoka river and they also have water and electric
This past summer, we camped at a private campground just south of Guana on A1A called "north beach" and they have a pool , water and electric with a boat ramp on the ICW on the west side and the beach is just across the street.

pijije

Post by pijije » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:28 am

Hanna Park I really enjoy. Campground is totally shaded, even though had to drive to get to the boat ramps. But the marsh on the west side of Mayport and Atlantic Beach are pretty easy to access. But in the middle of the summer, unless it's a holiday weekend, the campground has been pretty empty for me when I've been there. Even on weekends.

Danibeth

JAXFL

Post by JAXFL » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Isn't Faver Dykes park the one that was in the video on Pellicier creek that had the hundreds Gators back last year.

JohnYaksJax

Post by JohnYaksJax » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Many of the ones named above are my personal favorites also!!
Anastasia is very nice and close but our RV camping spot was not close to the water so we had to drive to fish!! :roll:

Faver-Dykes is nice and you can paddle/pedal East toward Marineland and get into Pellicer Flats fairly quickly.
If you go West toward I-95, you will see plenty of alligators.

*** Little Talbot Island State Park is really nice and sits right on Myrtle Creek which runs into Simpson Creek...great camping location and close to JAX but far enuff to feel that you are "out of town"

**** Princess Place Preserve has always been a favorite and is a "county" park and less $$ than the State Parks. If you get a campsite at Moody's, you can pull your kayak up into the grass and walk 20 feet to your tent and car. The showers and restrooms are about 100 yards away near the horse riding trails, and you can see them from the four Moody's Campsites.

***** Canaveral National Seashore Camping:

http://www.nps.gov/cana/planyourvisit/u ... ing-02.pdf

Page 1 is basic info about the islands, and Page 2 is a good map of the area.
On that map, you can see "Riverbreeze Park" directly to the WEST of the Park on U.S. 1. That is where we parked and launched to Bissette Bay Island (#8 on the map) on our first trip. A VERY easy paddle since you can see your island from the launch...maybe 1/2 mile max!! Safe and protected place to park at Riverbreeze also!!

On the second and third trips, we launched right there at the Park Ranger Station off of A1A. Easy place to launch from and maybe 1 mile max over to Orange Island (#1 on the map) which was a different island than we had the first trip. A little more privacy on that one.

REMEMBER!!! These are VERY primitive campsites!! No water or electricity on these islands!! Campsites are well cut out and maintained, and there is a fire ring and a picnic table...and NOTHING else!! Take what you need and bring back what you do not eat or burn!! Take charcoal and lighter fluid and maybe haul some firewood in a spare kayak since you cannot cut the trees!!
(Take bio-degradeable toilet tissue, or they make you buy it!! )

The islands are patrolled by Nat'l Park Service Rangers, with Glocks, so you should feel safe on them also....just call them on your cell if you have any intruders...IT IS YOUR ISLAND WHILE YOU ARE THERE!!
(Maybe half of one of the longer ones, but you will not see anyone else!!)
JohnYaksJax

nancyvail333

Post by nancyvail333 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Moses Creek is nice, my boys used to camp there many moons ago. No facilities. I love Anastasia State Park, one of my favorites and also Gamble Rogers state park in Flagler Beach