Noob here

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

CJ_Tiz

Noob here

Post by CJ_Tiz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:53 am

Been lurking around for a little now and starting to piece things together. Picked up a Malibu Stealth 14 off another member here on the forum... Looks like its been passed around a little and will try to keep it going.

One thing I noticed is its heavy and hard for me to load into my truck. Looking for an idea on a cart that will be able to support the kayak. I just need it to off load and load it. Will a PVC one hold up to the weight?

Also I am new to fishing here in FL... I'm from Mass and all we fish for is small mouth and perch. Some lake trout as well. Looks like I will hang out in Julington Creek for a little to get the feel of fishing out of a yak at first.

See you on the water!

JohnYaksJax

Re: Noob here

Post by JohnYaksJax » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:43 am

Hey CJ_Tiz.....Interesting that we have 2 "noobs" on the same day and both live on the "westside"....Check out the answers to the posts today on the thread started by "HeadChefDave"......good info for you!! :thumbright:

Also, I have taken many F/W guys from GA, TN and AL fishing down here in the JAX area, and they all had concerns of how to fish S/W. This info is from a longer Saved doc that I have used many times....so DO NOT worry....if you are a fisherman, you will catch fish!!
Every one of them did with me!!

There are MANY similarities to how you fished in Mass:
(1) POSITIONING: Just like freshwater bass, our fish usually lie in wait FACING THE FLOW of the current!! You had rivers and streams, and our "current" is actually tidal flow.

(2) STRUCTURE: We don't have many blown down trees or shoals to fish, but we have oysters and sandbars. Fish should be near them waiting to "ambush" something coming toward them!!

(3) AMBUSH: Oysters are a good place, but my favorite are Creek Mouths, or better yet, creek mouths WITH oysters!!!

(4) TIDAL CONSIDERATIONS:
HIGH TIDES = you hunt them up on the flats and way back into the grasses.
Bigger reds really love to be the first fish deep into the creeks and up on the mudflats and grassflats. Those reds are in there eating the bluecrabs, fiddler crabs, shrimp and even snails.

LOW TIDES = you ambush them coming out of and going into the creeks like I said above. Creekmouths are your friends!!

(5) DEEP SPOTS and DROPOFFS:
(A) The outside of bends are normally deeper than the inside since the 4 tides per day "carve out" the outside.
(B) Smaller creeks dumping into bigger creeks often create deep holes that harbor BIG redfish and trout. They will often stay in those deep holes during the low tides if they are deep enough instead of leaving the creeks completely.

Hope this helps....Tight Lines!!
Let me know when you wanna go out there!!
JohnYaksJax
Last edited by JohnYaksJax on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papatone8

Post by papatone8 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:52 am

Welcome CJ... shoot me a heads up when you're ready to get that S-14 slimed...

CJ_Tiz

Post by CJ_Tiz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks guys... Off to a start picked up a cart so I can load and unload on my own... Picked up a nice rod reel combo and some basic stuff. Thanks for all the tips and see ya around.