Crowder Rods...opinions anyone?

Kayak fishing main forum.

Moderators: GASMAN, HoosierPaddler, islandspeed2001, Dreads0518

pijije

Crowder Rods...opinions anyone?

Post by pijije » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I went to Strike Zone for a recommendation for a rod that could be used either for surf fishing or in a boat for big red fishing (as I am short on cash and can't get a rig for both). The first rod recommended was a G Loomis. The second was a Crowder. I liked the feel of the Crowder and I was wondering what people thought of those rods. Specifically it's the ESS815 rod that I was looking at. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dani

Yak4U2NV

Re: Crowder Rods...opinions anyone?

Post by Yak4U2NV » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:00 am

I hope this helps...it took me an hour to keep re-typing it (because I kept timing out and log back in).. :lol:

I understand you are not wanting to get 2 seperate rods but, there are a few thoughts that I am wanting to explain so, it may take a few extra lines to describe...

1) Although it is possible to catch fish using a standard rod/reel at the Surf...to be honest, it usually requires AT LEAST a 10' 12' or sometimes even a 14' rod!!! This is because you want to cast your bait "behind" the area where waves hit/break at a sandbar. Otherwise you'll end up catching alot of catfish, sharks, and maybe a few wandering/stray fish (but, maybe you like that :lol: ).

Obviously, a standard rod/reel just won't get you the distance needed!

I got my 13' Surf rod/reel Combo at Walmart...I think it was about $50 :thumbright:

Note: You may want to talk with Larry Finch (Professional Surf Fisherman)...We are lucky to have him here in Jax and he's always willing to help someone out. He also makes special rigs just for Surf Fishing in his store. Simply an awesome guy!
*He runs the seafood Market at the intersection of Ft Caroline/McCormick roads.

2) If you are wanting to catch BIG Reds "from a boat" then, any standard 6' or 7' rod should do...medium light -to- medium duty is fine. I don't have a recommendation on preference one over the other but, honestly it really comes down to what YOU think "feels" right/feels comfortable. You just know if it feels too wobbly/stiff...or maybe too short/long?
(Okay, stop smiling...for those of you who interpreted a diff meaning) :lol:

3) Bottom Line answer for now...Until you are in a position to get a Rod for EACH situation. I would recommend something like an 8foot Ugly Stick/Spinning Rod Combo from WalMart. :cheers:

FYI: Next time you're at Strike-Zone ask for "Archie" or "Brian"...(My experience, they've always been helpful/knowledgable for me).
...Simply tell them what your budget is + what your intended use is. They will help you find your match within 3-4 rods that you test! :cheers:

Good luck and keep us posted :salute:

Tight Lines :smoke:
Home Theater Installation

JeffreyMcGovern

Post by JeffreyMcGovern » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:34 am

You've got a real difference in needs there. Surf rods are by their requirements long for long casts but mainly to hold line off the wave line as it's in the holder. I surf cast as a kid and cuaght lods of fish with a steel 5 ' rod and an Ocean City level wind loaded with dacron line. Worked fine but long rods worked better. On a boat shorter rods give the angler better levelage since they are normally stiffer for that purpose. A compromise rod might be an 8' with a proper reel in the 4000 size range loaded with 15lb braid.

http://www.jeffstacklebox.com

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:52 am

For someone who is short on cash, what the H are you looking at G Loomis rods for? You can buy two great rods for the same price as a Loomis :dontknow:
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

pijije

Post by pijije » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 am

I merely asked for recommendations, the GLoomis was suggested to me. Not something that I was actually going to look at buying until I possibly hit the lotto and I can have a rod for each type of fishing in any color I might want, and any quantity I might want to go with any number of boats I might have. :lol:

HOWEVER, my birthday is coming up so I was looking for a rod to put on to my list as a WISH rod...because you never know....I just might get it...I guess anything is possible.

I do understand the differences between a boat rod and a surf rod, and the reasoning behind why you want a longer rod for surf fishing. Makes a lot of sense to me. But, having a rod that is a decent compromise between the two makes the most sense to me (unless I can find some great yard sale deals or pawn shop deals). I have some friends who have really good gear for fishing for big reds, but they don't happen to live in state (or actually even on this side of the Continental Divide) so the chances of me going out with them much are slim. I have other friends who have gear that they use for big reds (though they don't go out much...working on talking them into taking me out) and frankly, I wouldn't want to catch big fish with their gear. While it is certainly adequate for them I suppose, the tackle is too light IMO and the drag on their reels stick causing lost fish when the line breaks...and having a fish swimming around with a leader that has a pound of weight attatched to it and a hook in it's mouth just doesn't sit well with me (that has happened to me with their tackle). So, I'm looking for something that would be a good compromise, for the occasions when I might be able to talk someone into taking me after big reds and for surf fishing.

Other than Ugly Stick, are there any other Brands/Models in the same price range that folk could recommend if I don't get a rod for my birthday?

I have a blast catching fish...even if it's "trash"...

Thanks for the input so far

Dani

islandspeed2001

Post by islandspeed2001 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:51 am

pijije wrote:I merely asked for recommendations, the GLoomis was suggested to me.

Dani
Sorry if I came on a little strong :roll: Guess we can all dream of owning a GLoomis :D I fish with Star Rods and love them. They are a quality rod. You might want to take a look at them.
Solo Skiff Pro Staff
Polar Bear Coolers
Power Pole

pijije

Post by pijije » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:45 am

No worries...I'll look at the Star Rods as well. Thanks.

Dani

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm

If you want a single rod that you can do both with, take a look at this Gator blank, sold at http://www.mudhole.com.
These blanks are very popular for custom builders, many manufacturers use these blanks,(Star Rods did for years)

I have built a few on this blank, for King and Cobia fishing for the Pier guys.
These rods will cast 8 and bait a country mile, as well as double as a bottom rod on a boat.

Breakage on these blanks are virtually unheard of, I've never seen one fail.
I have built many for my personal use. But this is just my humble opinion, I'm not bashing any brands, just my personal opinion.

As a matter of fact, my wife uses this blank for big game pier fishing also.

Model T90H Bottom Rod

9' one piece Moderate action

15-40 rated line weight

12 (tip size)

.938 (butt dia.)

$42.08

Edited to add, Gator Glass, is owned by Crowder rods, in case you are wondering where Crowders E-Glass blanks come from.
Last edited by Punisher on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was banned from JaxKayakFishing for being a jerk and saying ugly things about people I've never met. I'm an uncivil fool who is a know-it-all and like hanging around people like myself. So I am thrilled to have finally been shown the door as I worked hard to find it.

Yak4U2NV

Post by Yak4U2NV » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 pm

"Other than Ugly Stick, are there any other Brands/Models in the same price range that folk could recommend if I don't get a rod for my birthday? "

How long will you have to wait...(When is your Birthday)?

Hurry up...there are ALOT of BIG FISH out here, and they are waiting on you! :lol:

Go get em' :thumbright:

:smoke:
Home Theater Installation

pijije

Post by pijije » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

a rod blank....interesting....I hadn't considered that option. I'll look into that option as well. thanks

and my birthday is one month away....sooooooooooooooooo it seems like forever to wait to see if i get one....all those fish are gettin away from me!!

Dani

brokenarrowjbe

Post by brokenarrowjbe » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:27 pm

For surf fishing, that wal mart ugly stick is hard to beat for the price. I paid the money for mudhole's class and it was worth every penny. If you go to the rod building sites you can see some real works of art. The fish don't know the difference. I use a 7' med action for surf fishing but I am willing to wade out and fish from waist deep water. I don't ussually keep the fish, so no big deal. If you want to fish from shore, 10' or longer. Unless you have lots of practice, stick with a spinning reel. The level winds are nice, but you will get lots of practice clearing backlashes at first. Try pawn shops for rods, they just have to work. John
Chance favors the well prepared

MLBrown

Post by MLBrown » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:32 pm

I don't know anything about crowder rods... The GLoomis rods are great rods.

I recently picked up a Team Alabama rod from Torqued Solutions. GREAT rod. 4oz sweet spot. Incredible finish and construction. For the price I don't think you can find a better rod. I'm an "average" caster and I can put a 4nbait about 120 yards using a pendulum cast.

Mike
Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Solo
Blue Hurricane Phoenix 130
Fishing the 206 bridge area
World Golf Village
St. Augustine, Florida

Lt.FireDog

Post by Lt.FireDog » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Crowder Rods are made here in Stuart, Fl. Rob builds a great rod and has a strong following, locally and across the state. I'm a fan of the E-SERIES LITE, great rods at a decent price. Crowder offers a Lifetime Warranty! :thumbright:

http://www.crowderrods.com
~Hobie Fishing Team ~ YakAttack Pro Staff ~ RAM Pro Staff ~ Power-Pole Pro Staff ~ Columbia Pro Team ~ TEAMSouthRiverOutfitters~

jmdesignz2

Post by jmdesignz2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:52 pm

MLBrown wrote:I don't know anything about crowder rods... The GLoomis rods are great rods.

I recently picked up a Team Alabama rod from Torqued Solutions. GREAT rod. 4oz sweet spot. Incredible finish and construction. For the price I don't think you can find a better rod. I'm an "average" caster and I can put a 4nbait about 120 yards using a pendulum cast.

Mike
@MLBrown - you still have your Team Alabama rod? What's your long term review on it?

MLBrown

Post by MLBrown » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:02 am

jmdesignz2 wrote:
MLBrown wrote:I don't know anything about crowder rods... The GLoomis rods are great rods.

Mike
@MLBrown - you still have your Team Alabama rod? What's your long term review on it?
It's the best rod I have. If I could buy another one I would. I'm not sure if they still make them.

It's a 3 piece rod. Easy to transport, fantastic sensitivity and a joy to use.
Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Solo
Blue Hurricane Phoenix 130
Fishing the 206 bridge area
World Golf Village
St. Augustine, Florida