Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ft George River
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am 

Fellas.....wanting to fish Ft. George River/make my way up to Simpsons Creek! NEW area for me..anything i need to be forewarned about? How is it on dead low? I dont want to get stranded. Thanks,

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Ft George River
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 pm 

SaltwaterGospel wrote:
Fellas.....wanting to fish Ft. George River/make my way up to Simpsons Creek! NEW area for me..anything i need to be forewarned about? How is it on dead low? I dont want to get stranded. Thanks,

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen

I've gone few times to Simpson Creek and back riding the tide. There are few flats, but nothing I would worry about. If you have Hobie, be careful with your mirage drive and look at the google map, it shows some flats. I've caught few reds and trouts there, few blues and spanish mackerel. It is very beautiful area, but fishing has been slow for me there. Maybe I just don't know "secret spots". I always fish with artificials.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:29 am 

Red_drum wrote:
SaltwaterGospel wrote:

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen

I've gone few times to Simpson Creek and back riding the tide. There are few flats, but nothing I would worry about. If you have Hobie, be careful with your mirage drive and look at the google map, it shows some flats. I've caught few reds and trouts there, few blues and spanish mackerel. It is very beautiful area, but fishing has been slow for me there. Maybe I just don't know "secret spots". I always fish with artificials.

thanks brotha..i'm an artificial guy as well. I appreciate the info. I hope to get out this weekend..pending the wife's approval lol

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:20 am 

SaltwaterGospel wrote:
I hope to get out this weekend..pending the wife's approval lol

I've "hiked" sections of Simpson Creek a few times. A negative low with a strong offshore breeze and a few sections will get too low to paddle. Especially the area around the Simpson/Myrtle intersection on the South end. But, the bottom is hard enough to get out and walk to a deeper spot, so no worries.

Should be a good weekend for that area. Probably worth a night in the dog house.

Troll a soft plastic on a 1/8 oz jig head for Trout, and bounce it off the bottom for Reds and Flounder. Swap out the soft plastic with a piece of fresh dead shrimp and soak it on the bottom on the deep side of the curves for Black Drum, Sheepsheads, and Reds, but every species of trash fish will be all over it, too. Cut mullet will work well for bigger Reds. Typically smaller fish in there this time of year, but lots of action and you should be able to put a slot Red in the cooler. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am 

Mudfish wrote:
SaltwaterGospel wrote:
I hope to get out this weekend..pending the wife's approval lol

I've "hiked" sections of Simpson Creek a few times. A negative low with a strong offshore breeze and a few sections will get too low to paddle. Especially the area around the Simpson/Myrtle intersection on the South end. But, the bottom is hard enough to get out and walk to a deeper spot, so no worries.

Should be a good weekend for that area. Probably worth a night in the dog house.

Troll a soft plastic on a 1/8 oz jig head for Trout, and bounce it off the bottom for Reds and Flounder. Swap out the soft plastic with a piece of fresh dead shrimp and soak it on the bottom on the deep side of the curves for Black Drum, Sheepsheads, and Reds, but every species of trash fish will be all over it, too. Cut mullet will work well for bigger Reds. Typically smaller fish in there this time of year, but lots of action and you should be able to put a slot Red in the cooler. Good Luck!

Thanks Mud!! Fleming Island native myself...hope to see you around!