Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ft George River
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm
Posts: 3
Fellas.....wanting to fish Ft. George River/make my way up to Simpsons Creek! NEW area for me..anything i need to be forewarned about? How is it on dead low? I dont want to get stranded. Thanks,

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen


Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ft George River
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:10 pm
Posts: 47
SaltwaterGospel wrote:
Fellas.....wanting to fish Ft. George River/make my way up to Simpsons Creek! NEW area for me..anything i need to be forewarned about? How is it on dead low? I dont want to get stranded. Thanks,

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen

I've gone few times to Simpson Creek and back riding the tide. There are few flats, but nothing I would worry about. If you have Hobie, be careful with your mirage drive and look at the google map, it shows some flats. I've caught few reds and trouts there, few blues and spanish mackerel. It is very beautiful area, but fishing has been slow for me there. Maybe I just don't know "secret spots". I always fish with artificials.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ft George River
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm
Posts: 3
Red_drum wrote:
SaltwaterGospel wrote:
Fellas.....wanting to fish Ft. George River/make my way up to Simpsons Creek! NEW area for me..anything i need to be forewarned about? How is it on dead low? I dont want to get stranded. Thanks,

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen

I've gone few times to Simpson Creek and back riding the tide. There are few flats, but nothing I would worry about. If you have Hobie, be careful with your mirage drive and look at the google map, it shows some flats. I've caught few reds and trouts there, few blues and spanish mackerel. It is very beautiful area, but fishing has been slow for me there. Maybe I just don't know "secret spots". I always fish with artificials.



thanks brotha..i'm an artificial guy as well. I appreciate the info. I hope to get out this weekend..pending the wife's approval lol

Saltwater Gospel
#Fisherofmen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ft George River
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:21 pm
Posts: 1362
Location: Fleming Island, FL
SaltwaterGospel wrote:
I hope to get out this weekend..pending the wife's approval lol

I've "hiked" sections of Simpson Creek a few times. A negative low with a strong offshore breeze and a few sections will get too low to paddle. Especially the area around the Simpson/Myrtle intersection on the South end. But, the bottom is hard enough to get out and walk to a deeper spot, so no worries.

Should be a good weekend for that area. Probably worth a night in the dog house.

Troll a soft plastic on a 1/8 oz jig head for Trout, and bounce it off the bottom for Reds and Flounder. Swap out the soft plastic with a piece of fresh dead shrimp and soak it on the bottom on the deep side of the curves for Black Drum, Sheepsheads, and Reds, but every species of trash fish will be all over it, too. Cut mullet will work well for bigger Reds. Typically smaller fish in there this time of year, but lots of action and you should be able to put a slot Red in the cooler. Good Luck!

_________________
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13 ~ 2012 Native Mariner Propel 12.5


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ft George River
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:06 pm
Posts: 3
Mudfish wrote:
SaltwaterGospel wrote:
I hope to get out this weekend..pending the wife's approval lol

I've "hiked" sections of Simpson Creek a few times. A negative low with a strong offshore breeze and a few sections will get too low to paddle. Especially the area around the Simpson/Myrtle intersection on the South end. But, the bottom is hard enough to get out and walk to a deeper spot, so no worries.

Should be a good weekend for that area. Probably worth a night in the dog house.

Troll a soft plastic on a 1/8 oz jig head for Trout, and bounce it off the bottom for Reds and Flounder. Swap out the soft plastic with a piece of fresh dead shrimp and soak it on the bottom on the deep side of the curves for Black Drum, Sheepsheads, and Reds, but every species of trash fish will be all over it, too. Cut mullet will work well for bigger Reds. Typically smaller fish in there this time of year, but lots of action and you should be able to put a slot Red in the cooler. Good Luck!




Thanks Mud!! Fleming Island native myself...hope to see you around!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
phpBB SEO

Contact Us SiteMap Copyright © 2004-2015 JaxKayakFishing LLC, All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use/Privacy Policy