Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guana levels
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:57 pm 

Anyone know the status of the water levels at the six mile boat ramp on Guana?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Guana levels
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:20 pm 

Hello Saltlife_Steve and thanks for posting again!!
Sorry, but I do not know that info, but you should be able to contact the Guana Ranger Station down there and get the info you requested. The # is 904-823-4500.

(1) The lady that I spoke with just now at GTMNERR (Guana) was helpful and their # is also 904-823-4500. She said that the Guana Six Mile Entrance at the north end of the lake will be closed to kayaks/canoe fishermen since it WAS duck hunting season, and starting this SAT, 3/15 it will be closed to fishing due to turkey hunting limitations.

(2) The south end of the lake at Guana Dam is open and construction is finished. A very helpful Florida Fish & Wildlife officer I called named Kyle gave me this helpful info.
FF&W is responsible for north of Six Mile Launch and south of the Guana Dam. Their phone # is 904-825-6877. Parking at the dam is on the "honor system" to park there. Correct change of $3 for a lock box and be certain to put your parking pass on your windshield and LOCK YOUR VEHICLE. He also said that as of yesterday, there was a depth of 2.9 feet of water at the dam.

(3) On the South side of the dam is Guana River which you can paddle and/or float down to the ICW. This a TIDAL and can leave you stranded about 30-50 yards south of the dam if you are not careful....Been there and done that!!
Kyle told me that they use the tidal charts for Vilano and you should add or subtract ONE HOUR when they travel up there in their powerboats...GOOD INFO!!
Personally, I have preferred South of the Dam for many years.

(4) Also, the Player's Championship at TPC is THIS WEEKEND and traffic south of JTB Blvd. can be terrible both directions of the course on A1A....
Hope this info is helpful to many in here...it is for me!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 am 

Did their hunting seasons change? duck hunting used to end early in Feb. and I dont remember them ever closing for Turkey hunting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 am 

I just looked it up, now I'm curious and might have to take a ride

Fishing and Frogging:
Allowed year round on Lake Ponte Vedra, but only from the Guana Dam to a line 2
miles north of the dam, and on the remainder of Lake Ponte Vedra and the
interior freshwater lakes only from February 10 through November 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:00 pm 

Duck hunting season was a bust there this last season . And with the drawing of limited permits , low number of duck hunters .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:25 pm 

Finally went down to SML yesterday and after the hard rain the night before there isn't enough water to float a yak. Guess I'll check again in the fall... :( :( :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm 

Record lousy duck season, drawing down the the lake levels to mud during prime fishing time, and you watch -- it'll be at that same low level most, if not all, of the summer. It really makes one wonder what the purpose Guana Lake really is anymore? It's a little difficult to claim they're maintaining an "estuarine preserve" when there's no water in it.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:28 pm 

internetpilot wrote:
Record lousy duck season, drawing down the the lake levels to mud during prime fishing time, and you watch -- it'll be at that same low level most, if not all, of the summer. It really makes one wonder what the purpose Guana Lake really is anymore? It's a little difficult to claim they're maintaining an "estuarine preserve" when there's no water in it.

agreed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 pm 

Thanks for the info! Yea it sucks the levels get drawn down so far during a perfect time to be fishing. I appreciate the responses cause that def saved me a 45 min ride just to be disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:47 pm 

launched at SML yesterday morning no problem in my kayak. Had to paddle out about 100 yards to water deep enough to use my peddle drive and was able to find trout and redfish about halfway to the tower, they were hitting the gulp electric chicken color swimming mullet...

Craig

Quantum Fishing
Accent Paddles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:53 pm 

Good to know! Maybe they won't maintain the Spring drawdown so long into the summer this year since they had it down for such a long time during the dam construction. I would definitely appreciate it.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123