Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:38 pm 

Looking at this 2016 Perception Pescador Pilot. The owner says it's in nice condition with no warpage or hull damage other than normal scratches. Does this hull bottom look right? To me it looks like a big dip going toward the rudder on the flat area. Is this a damaged hull or normal? Would it perform poorly like this? It's a good price at $800 but what do you guys see? I've never looked at one and can't say what the hull is supposed to look like?

Would you be scared to buy it?

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments:
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1533.JPG [ 76.86 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]
IMG_1532.JPG
IMG_1532.JPG [ 67.13 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 am 

Hello mismith and good to see you are still in the kayak market!!
Things to ponder....
1-- Why is the owner selling that one at nearly 1/2 price?
2 -- Is this model a current model?? Do some research online and then call Black Creek Outfitters here in JAX and ask them your questions....904-645-7003
3-- The parent company is now named Confluence Outdoors and it is located in Greenville, SC and is the parent to 8 outdoor and water products.
4 -- Have you seen the person's Pilot....and, what kind of shape is it in??
5-- Did you give it a test ride and a leak check?? Never buy a kayak or canoe without checking it for leaks and possible problems. At the very worst, visit the seller and put the kayak on dry pavement or their driveway and fill it with a hose with about 4" of water. Let it sit awhile and then check under it for "wet spots"...pick it up and the weight of the water will spread out any hairline cracks and it will leak!!
6 -- Good Luck with your research.
BTW....I own 4 (FOUR) Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 kayaks and love the brand, which is the Big Brother to the Perception line of products...better quality, features, and brand name....but they are more $$ than Perception. I also have a Hobie Revolution that I am considering selling...it only has 6 trips on it and it uses their Mirage Drive (pedal) System.
Good Luck!!
John Stewart aka JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:42 am 

All my kayaks have that dip in them. Probably not an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:43 am 

Have not seen in person yet, the rest of the pictures look good. I talked to the owner and he said they bought it new in 2016. He bought a new boat and gave his son his old boat. Now he says nobody uses the Pilot and it’s just been sitting. He says everything is in good working order and no damage.

Just this weekend a guy up near Raleigh listed a brand new never used blue Pescador Pilot 12 for $950, still had all the tags and tie wraps in place, pedal drive still in the box. It sold in about 1 day.

I also just missed another brand new blue Pilot 12 in Greenville, SC early last week. It also still had all the tags and pedal drive in the box with a Confluence sticker on the box. He sold it for $600 and said he just needed the money.....That’s a 2 hour drive from me and we couldn’t make it until it had already sold. So there’s some great deals in pedal drive Yaks if you stay on top of new ads....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:33 pm 

Hello Mike....Good to see you are taking the right steps to ensure that you do not buy someone else's problems!!

I just called Black Creek Outfitters, where I worked for almost 6 years, and spoke with the owner...and they do not carry the Pescador Pilot. Pretty certain it is more of a "big box" store (Amazon, Academy, etc) than the other Confluence products.

Good Luck and please let me know if you are interested in my very lightly used Hobie Revolution 115. It has several upgrades like Turbo fins on the Mirage Drive, and several accessories and it is sitting right behind me in my living room floor.
John aka JohnYaksJax
PS: Sounds like you might be in NC...?? My daughter and family are in Charlotte and my lady friend is up in Burlington and I could "arrange" free delivery in NC...LOL!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:43 pm 

Yes, I’m only about 30 miles from Charlotte. Your Hobie sounds nice but you probably want more than I’m willing to spend. I wasn’t really looking for a pedal kayak but this Pilot was within budget. Im fine with a Pescador Pro 12, Jackson Cruise 12, or a Native Slayer 12 too

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm 

Hey Mike...small world, huh on the CLT location!! My family is in the S.E. quadrant...near Matthews, so you cannot be too far away....??

Are you a member of the 'NCAngler' website which is also on Facebook....and I have camped and fished with many of them and reciprocate with them when they want a JAX quided tour..or a "Camp on an Island" down at the Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon area...really a primitive campsite on a grown up spoil island....great times with them!!

Have you checked out the NCAngler or the NC Kayak Fishing Assoc. websites...both have postings for Wanted to Buy/Sell gear and kayaks.
Also, have you visited either Great Outdoor Provision Company or Get:Outdoors...GOPC is right in the center of CLT on Park Road...I would call and check with them about your Pescador Pilot....wonder it either of them sell that model and they are very much like Black Creek where I worked.
(I just called the GOPC on Park Road and they have one in stock at the Greenville store and it is listed for full price...think he said $1,549, but they have 7 stores and NONE on order, so that might tell you something!!)
Anyway, I hope you find something that you like at the right price!!
JohnYaksJax aka John Stewart

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:40 pm 

Mike....I spoke with another guy at the Park Road GOPC and he said it was a "red camo" type of color. He also said that they could usually do a "store swap" where it could be sent to the Par k Road store, and he hinted that they "might" take a discounted price to "get rid of it" so all I can say is Good Luck!!

Keep checking Craig's List and the For Sale forums of the NCAngler and North Carolina Kayak Fishing Assoc.
I found a new friend at the Park Road store and a new fishing partner!!!
Take care and check you PMs (Private Messages) from me for more info on the Hobie Revolution 115 if you are interested!!
John Stewart or JohnYaksJax