Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 pm 

A friend and I are headed down to Sarasota/Pine Island area and then to the Keys for so,e kayak fishing between 2/16-2/24. We usually fish with artificial but will go with whatever catches fish. We mostly catch striped bass on the Chesapeake Bay.

If anyone would be willing to share general tips regarding areas, tactics, gear, etc we would both greatly appreciate it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:06 pm 

Sorry. Don’t know how I didn’t realize this forum was focused on Jacksonville.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:38 am 

Hello Hawg and Welcome to JFK!!
Not a problem that you are headed to the West Coast of FLA and we are on the North East Coast since many of us take trips down to the Keys...either the East or West shoreline of FLA.

This site has a very good "Search" feature....looks at the top of this page just under "ONLINE STORE"....and type in places that you want to visit....and the SW coast of Fla. is pretty neat.
Sorry that I cannot be too clear on your areas, but Chockoloskee and Everglades City are just a bit further South of what you are looking for. If you get down there, find Capt. Charles Wright online and several of us had him guide us in kayaks for 4 days...and altho a few tarpon were jumped, none were landed. We DID catch virtually hundreds of snook while down there.
Wish that I could offer more....but check out our "Search" feature for more info.
Good Luck.....JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:35 am 

This: http://www.canoeandkayakcentre.com/ helped me to choose a location for my next kayaking trip. You can head there for more information and choose the one that suits you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm 

Southwest Florida is a target rich environment, here are some recommendations:
- Near Ruskin Florida there is a place called Cockroach Bay. There is a public launch here and the waters are very kayak friendly. You can catch snook, redfish and trout here. This is a high crime spot so be sure not to leave any valuables in open view.
- Oscar Sherer State Park - Right at the entrance station is a kayak launch. If you go to the west down river you will find a great snook estuary. I have a video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ2oMvTPcYI
- Sanibel Island - 1. Before you get to the Causeway you can park on the south side of the road and launch your kayak and fish the shoreline and the sand flat. Here you will catch snook, trout, and pompano. 2. Sanibel Causeway on the tip of the last spoil island before you go over to Sanibel are grass flats on both the Pine Island Sound and Gulf side. The Gulf side has trout and spanish mackerel and the sound side has trout. This time of year the snook are in the canals and passes trying to stay warm. If targeting snook you can always run up the Caloosahatchee River to the old railroad bridge. You can launch your kayak at the Ft. Myers Shores public boat ramp. Back on Sanibel there is some great fishing in Tarpon Bay and Ding Darling. Ding Darling is a great place to see migratory birds along with some great snook and red fish at the culverts and along the mangrove shorelines. Last February was a warm month and I caught snook by walking the beaches but the water needs to be above 70 for this to be productive otherwise go to the canals or up the Caloosahatchee where I previously mentioned.
- Pine Island and Matlacha - There are public launches on both islands. Fishing here is great over grass flats. Look for sand patches and cast over them and retrieve back. Be sure to stop at Bert's Bar and Grill, great food and excellent view over the water with music on Fri-Sun.
- Keys - Pick any key and you can't go wrong. I like around Bahia Honda: Here is a video on the area that covers baits and tactics from a kayak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxWTLvW2eJU

Hope you have a great trip. If you have further questions post them on my Youtube channel because I check that more than here.