Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 am 

Have any of you owned a pedal driven kayak and a kayak with a trolling motor? I'm trying to debate on which one to go with. I'm thinking about either getting a Hobie outback or buying an ascend FS12 or FS128T and adding a trolling motor. The latter would save me a lot of money. I plan to do bass fishing and possibly some flats fishing. I spoke to one guy that had a trolling motor on a Hobie and he says he doesn't use the pedal drive much anymore. Did you prefer the pedal drive over the motor drive?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 am 

Never owned a kayak with a trolling motor. Have fished out of a boat in places where the gas motor wasn't allowed so you had to use the trolling motor. To me the term "kayak" means "human powered". Nothing wrong with wanting to put a trolling motor on a kayak. It just depends on what your individual needs are. You have to register the kayak if you add a trolling motor. I would never put a trolling motor on either of my mirage drive kayaks as I get a lot of great exercise with them. I usually average 6-7 miles an outing and sometime over 9 miles. At my age (63), it's great for my health.

Each setup you mentioned has positives and negatives. Good luck! ;)

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:24 pm 

What Steve said above!!!
I have 5 kayaks....one Hobie Revolution with the Turbo Mirage Drive system and 4 Wilderness Systems paddle only yaks....two of which are kept up in NC.
I actually like paddling better than pedaling at some of the low tide areas that I frequent and the creeks and rivers in NC that I fish up there....and they are pretty shallow and can be up to Class 2 rapids, so pedals would not work!! NEITHER WOULD A MOTOR!!

Motorized (gas or electric) kayaks have to be licensed thru the state you are fishing and are typically banned from competition and tourneys. You also have more weight to deal with.....batteries, gas, and the weight of the motor, and periodic service issues.

Sorry to be so biased, but you can make you own decisions....Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 pm 

I own an Ocean Torque and a Hobie PA 12. Each have advantages that the other one doesn't have. The Torque requires no real effort since I can troll all day long on a single charge. However, even though I upgraded the seat, it's not nearly as comfortable as the the PA 12. More time is spent loading and unloading the Torque at the landing. The PA 12 can be rigged and ready to go before you leave your house. The Hobie is almost impossible to tip over. My brother in law says that I'm sitting in a lawn chair. I sit up higher and the seat is very comfortable. The bottom line is that even though the Hobie requires more effort since I have to pedal it, I prefer it because it's more stable and comfortable. It's a fishing platform.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 pm 

I had a trolling motor on my Native Ultimate 12 and it was great. Initially got the motor to access more water and just get from A to B, especially when going against the tide. But, I ended up using it a ton while while fishing. Much easier to maneuver and make adjustments while fishing than trying to use the paddle and hold a rod at the same time. It didn't add much set up time and definitely made up for it with more efficient fishing.

I can't speak to the pedal drive systems since I have never used one.

I recently sold my kayak to upgrade to a small skiff. I still have the motor (Minn Kota C2 30 lb. thrust) and battery. Send me a PM if you decide to go with the motor and want to save a few bucks from buying new.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am 

A little late responding to this, but I'll add my two cents. To me kayaks are the best way to get out on the water as inexpensively as possible. A $4000 pedal kayak doesn't really satisfy that definition. So I've always owned paddle kayaks and my most recent addition (Field & Stream Shadow Caster) to the personal fleet has a trolling motor on it. Whichever way you go is purely personal choice, but what you don't want to do is buy a kayak that pretty much requires a trolling motor. Whether getting a pedal or motor kayak, there will be times that you will need to paddle it, sometimes for significant distances (like a surprise low tide, heavy weeds/algae, etc.). I know people with the Native Titan, Feelfree Dorado, or Hobie Pro Angler, which are all HUGE, heavy kayaks that simply do not paddle well. Pedaling is fine, motoring is fine, but paddling is a legit struggle with these boats (especially the Titan and Dorado). Pedal drives and motors are not perfect -- sometimes they fail and then you could facing a 5-mile paddle back to the launch.

My Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123 is a big, wide boat that weighs 95lbs (without the motor or batteries). However, believe it or not, it paddles very well. It's not going to win any short races for top speed, but for long distances it's a smooth, easy paddle at a rather fast pace that's easy to maintain, and tracking is perfectly straight. With the 55# thrust trolling motor, it has a top speed between 4.5-5 mph. To keep the weight down I use two smaller lead acid batteries that provide a combined 70 amp hr power source. I stow the batteries in the bow storage compartment and have the wires running through the hull to he motor/controller. I've been out for 5-6 hours and the battery charge hasn't dropped below 70%. I use it for top speed point A to B traveling, but also use it for trolling and even use it to hold my position in a current/wind when I'm feeling lazy or just don't feel like dinking around with a paddle while trying to fish. I put a Bullnose Rudder attachment on it, which vastly improved the steering and tracking of he motor. The Shadow Caster's MSRP is $800, but it's frequently on sale multiple times per year for ~$630. So, everything combined (kayak, motor, mount, batteries) the grand total is easily under $1400, which is what most namebrand paddle kayaks cost these days. Although the kayak is only sold through Dick's Sporting Goods, it's actually manufactured by the parent company of Feelfree Kayaks, so although it is a department store kayak, it's probably one of the better ones.
Attachment:
ShadowCaster.jpg
ShadowCaster.jpg [ 81.44 KiB | Viewed 223 times ]

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:13 pm 

Then again, there's always a Sailing Kit.
If your yak has a pilot hole for it, it's an option.
It won't help in the shallows, narrows or oyster beds ...
but if you're in deeper water and storm clouds start rolling in ...
or the wind shifts straight off the ramp area ...

it's an option.