Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:48 pm 

Hey all, just recently moved to Jax from virginia. all my fishing experience has been targeting bass, crappie, bluegill, and catfish in lakes. I've been learning my way around fishing the salt marshes on the north side of town and had some good success with redfish, trout, and an occasional flounder.

I'd like to start beach kayaking more but I have a sit in kayak and rough waters cancelled those plans every time I attempted. Any tips for a new guy trying to fish the beaches? do you use any websites forecasting the expected wave size? are certain times of year better for beach kayak fishing than others?

thanks for any help, hope to run into some of you guys on the water!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 pm 

I live on the northside towards Cedar Point and frequent Talbot Island for BTB (Hugenout). I use Willy Weather for all fishing weather outlooks.

https://tides.willyweather.com/fl/duval ... inlet.html

| Hobie PA12 The Cadillac | Buy VonZipper CPR Measuring Board Online & Vinyl Graphics @ www.i-heart-stickers.com
| 904-256-4985 |

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:24 pm 

If you want to fall back on the familiar, your freshwater experience in Virginia could be very useful on St. Johns River, Black Creek, Doctor's Lake, etc.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 pm 

Thanks for the input! Yeah I’ve been fishing a lot on clapboard creek trying to use my bass experience on the reds and trout and having some good success. Hoping to start fishing open ocean more and catching those fun pelagic species. Went out to Atlantic beach Sunday with the kayak fishing about 200 yards off the shore with live shrimp and cut frozen mullet behind me, while casting a rattletrap in front of me. Not a bite. As the tide was bottoming out though I noticed the water starting to change color as what looked like tannin stained water from the river started pushing through the area. Not sure if that might have also killed any chance I had of catching much ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 am 

There's not much in the ocean right now to catch on the beach. However, I got into tarpon and king fishing this past summer, and it's amazing. I use the Swell Info app to get the surf forecast and choose my days. I will try cobia fishing in late April as well on the beach. I've only done it out of the boat, but want to try my hand at it from the kayak.

Hit me up anytime you want to go.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:42 pm 

joelwinters wrote:
There's not much in the ocean right now to catch on the beach. However, I got into tarpon and king fishing this past summer, and it's amazing. I use the Swell Info app to get the surf forecast and choose my days. I will try cobia fishing in late April as well on the beach. I've only done it out of the boat, but want to try my hand at it from the kayak.

Hit me up anytime you want to go.

I appreciate the info! And might really have to take you up on that offer! New to the area and Need to Get some buddies I can fish with lol. Is there much else worth targeting on the beaches between now and April or would I be better of sticking to the marshes until then?