Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feedback on Native Titan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 pm 

I have not been on here in a long time as I have been mainly fishing out of my Solo Skiff. I am looking at purchasing a peddle kayak, and am curious to any feedback on the Native Titan, especially in the benefits/drawbacks to the 10.5 to 13.5 lengths. I have been kayak fishing for a long time out of a Native 14.5 Ultimate so am accustomed to a larger kayak. Some of the spots I launch from I cannot access with a trailer, so rules out the Solo Skiff or a heavier peddle kayak. I understand the Boonedox wheels are pretty essential in transporting the Titans. Has anyone gone from the Slayer to the Titan?
Thank you in advance for any feedback! Tight Lines!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:05 pm 

I’m new here. First post and also new to kayaking so not sure how helpful this will be. I just purchased a Native Titan 12’ a couple weeks ago. I live on a canal in Flagler Beach. Have a 15’ Key West but have been wanting something to get shallower occasionally.
I actually was thinking about and leaning toward a SoloSkiff. I liked the idea of it because I could make some longer treks since it would have an outboard and I hate trailering anywhere. I also only have my truck down here some of the time. I eventually decided to go with a kayak because I could always use/need the exercise, and it will require less clean-up, motor flushing, etc after the return to the dock...
The Titan is definitely not a kayak that I would think would lend itself toward car-topping or launching without a trailer in spots that would require carrying very far. You could certainly load it in the back of a pickup solo, and using the Boonedox could roll easily on flat surfaces. The Boonedox system I saw really was a cool design and seemed to work really slick. My 12’ Titan I think is 109 lbs hull weight and 138 complete, so very close to weighing as much as the SoloSkiff...
Size and weight wasn’t as much of an issue for me since I intend to use it 99% of the time from my dock and I can easily get it in and out of the water by myself. I water tested the Hobie PA, Hobie Outback and Titan 10.5. I considered a slightly smaller more traditional pedal kayak like the Outback or Slayer. Actually not sure the Titan is even considered a kayak by many, certainly not by the purists. I was actually second-guessing my choice before I even got it home, wondering if one that is slightly smaller and easier to hand paddle as needed wouldn’t have been a better choice. Outback didn’t seem that much more unstable when standing, and I don’t really need the huge space in the back provided by the Titan. Anyway, I opted for the additional 1.5’ over the Titan 10 since it seemed to be easier to keep straight and wasn’t that much heavier. It’s a very nice boat but certainly isn’t a speed demon. I could barely get to just under 4 mph on my gps going as fast as my out-of-shape self could pedal. Extremely stable and I don’t think I’ll have any problem throwing a cast net. I may use it a year and decide I want something different or I may fall in love with it after I figure out what I’m doing. Felt like I got a really great closeout sale price so if I do end up selling I won’t lose as much. Black Creek Outfitters up your way would be a good place to go check one out. I know they had more 10.5 and 12 Titans, not sure about the 13. They also had the Slayer if I remember correctly so you could get both in the water to compare.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 pm 

Thanks MAK. I appreciate the feedback, and would definitely get the Boonedox wheels if I purchased a Titan. I have test paddled a Slayer at Black Creek and may go that route as well. I am also not sure on the need for the spacious area behind the seat on the Titan as I only carry a small cooler in a milk crate for the few fish I amy keep and a separate soft-sided Polar Bear cooler for drinks and lunch. Will definitely go test paddle one at Black Creek. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 pm 

I've got the 10 Slayer pedal, works great for me, I off load everything into the back of my Explorer then car top it, pretty easy to get up at about 60 lbs. empty. I made my own wheels that have held up well after about 30 trips so far. Dutten Island, Vilano, Katy's and Hospital Creek.

https://youtu.be/gt_tGu3IoTg

I raised my seat up 2" with some finished cedar blocks to get a tray and fish bag under the seat. Works great.

Video of tray without seat raised. https://youtu.be/m4dPxhS2Y3E

I also ditched the crate and went with a Lowes storage bin with half the top cover cut open and rod holders mounted on sides.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:52 pm 

Thanks for the info Jeff! You have definitely rigged that one out. I tend to primarily throw artificials, and am wondering how stable the 10.5 is while standing to fish, and if it is easy to pole while standing with the drive up? Thanks again!