Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:54 pm 

I have been a lurker here as I don't live near JAX, just keep planning to visit and fish as my sister lives there, or actually more like Nassauville. I think I might make it happen in early January and would be just minutes away from those 2 accesses in the title. A big motivator is getting a new big boy 14'x30" SUP (stable, high capacity, will be outfitted like a SOT for fishing) for my 60th just after Christmas and Santa will be bringing me all sorts of toys for it. A second motivation is surgery coming up a little later in January that will keep me from paddling again until late April.

Anyway, it looks like Holly Point would be better if it's windy but I don't know what the fishing in the area is like in general. I am hoping to get a local NC kayaker to come down with me, but would probably still go if I were able to meet up with others there or not too far away.

Any info would be appreciated...

:thumbright: :thumbleft:

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 am 

Hello SUPdude and Welcome to JKF!!
Altho I used to kayak fish this N.E. Fla area quite a lot and I have more than 900 kayak trips, mostly in N.E. Fla, I have not fished in the Nassauville area. I am pretty familiar with many of the fishing and launching spots near there...look above and to the right of the JKF Logo and check out "Fishing Spots" for some alternate spots.

"IslandSpeed2001" is kinda the guru for that area and he lives in/near Fernandina, so you might pop him a Private Message....

I hope to be back in my kayak (one of several I own) by then, and maybe we can hook up and fish together....Little Talbot Island State Park is a great area to launch and fish!!
Hope to see you when you are down here.....JohnYaksJax

PS: Where do you live up in NC and where are you buying your SUP??
My daughter, SIL, and 3 young grandkiddos live in Charlotte...very close to Matthews.
I have one of my kayaks "stashed" at their home, and another one in Mebane which is just east of Burlington. It is at an old lady friend's home....I think it is still there?? :scratch:
I am pretty active in the NC Anglers Forum, and have camped and fished with the "Red X Anglers" group. I am occasionally in the North Carolina Kayak Fishing Assoc. (NCKFA) which is not very active.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:03 am 

Yes, I have been on NC Angler for several years and have been on some threads with you. I am Optimystic. It's actually there that I might post to see if I can find someone else interested in the trip, though there is a chance I will just make the visit with one of my kids who wouldn't paddle, so I am going to reach out to see if I can find other paddlers, hopefully fisher folk, though I would paddle just to paddle.

I got the SUP online from Liquid Surf and Sail. It was a closeout on a brand new 2016 Naish Glide for $1049 with free shipping.

ETA - Forgot to say I am near Raleigh and fish Harris, Jordan and falls mostly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm 

I've put in at Holly Point before and didn't have much luck. I'm not a very good fisherman, though. The current at the launch is pretty swift. Goffinsville is pretty wide open so I didn't try it due to winds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:22 pm 

Hey SUPdude aka Optimystic.....Thanks for the reply to my post!!
I have seen Optimystic is some thread on NCAngler..small world!!

I have not fished over near Raleigh and those 3 lakes you mentioned, but I have heard about them and know there is a Red X Anglers Meet & Greet every year...and you are pretty close to Kerr's Lake and Scott I think?? I did the New River M&G once and loved it and I could not find the park 2 years ago and after 4 hours of looking in a heavy thunderstorm, I gave up and found a motel room on the way back to CLT. No GPS signals and NO T-Mobile reception pretty much rules out finding it...for me anyway!!
:oops:

Keep in touch and let me know when you make some final plans and I can meet you up there.....wish I knew that area better!!
John
PS: Congrats on getting your new Naish SUP....good products!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:02 pm 

I am not hung up on it being one of those two specific spots but wouldn't want to go all that far.

Probably anywhere in the shaded area would be okay.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yE25x ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:15 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey SUPdude aka Optimystic.....Thanks for the reply to my post!!
I have seen Optimystic is some thread on NCAngler..small world!!

I have not fished over near Raleigh and those 3 lakes you mentioned, but I have heard about them and know there is a Red X Anglers Meet & Greet every year...and you are pretty close to Kerr's Lake and Scott I think?? I did the New River M&G once and loved it and I could not find the park 2 years ago and after 4 hours of looking in a heavy thunderstorm, I gave up and found a motel room on the way back to CLT. No GPS signals and NO T-Mobile reception pretty much rules out finding it...for me anyway!!
:oops:

Keep in touch and let me know when you make some final plans and I can meet you up there.....wish I knew that area better!!
John
PS: Congrats on getting your new Naish SUP....good products!!

Thanks! Yeah, I have done the Kerr Scott trip and I have had the New River dates circled on my calendar more than once and the Ft Fisher... I am bad about making the ones with lots of notice, as odd as that sounds. I tend to make a lot more "pick up" trips with plans made on Wednesday or Thursday.

I hate to hear about what happened with the New River trip for you. Verizon has a stranglehold down East. The price is awful, support isn't that great but they have the coverage. It was like a running joke at the Y camps where I took my kids with the dad/child program - the dads without Verizon would be wandering around camp holding their phones up trying to get a signal to call home. Walking out to the end of the pier on the Neuse so they were 100' closer to New Bern. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 pm 

SUPdude wrote:
I am not hung up on it being one of those two specific spots but wouldn't want to go all that far.

Probably anywhere in the shaded area would be okay.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yE25x ... sp=sharing

I'd check out Simpson's Creek or Haulover Creek. Easy launches and proven to have fish!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:53 pm 

Hey SUPdude....I can let you know some good places up near where your sister lives, but SOUTH of there, and hopefully I can "guide" you....?? :scratch: :scratch:

You get "first dibs" on my favorite honey holes, and once you catch a nice fish...."All bets are off".... :salute:
John
PS: Sorry this is late...ran down to St. Augustine to attend a fishing seminar, and then a few of us closed the Kayak/SUP & Bait & Tackle store for some brews and pizza!!
JYJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:03 am 

Currently looking at being there Dec 29th/30th, with the following weekend as an alternate if the weather looks bad or some other complication creeps up.