Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Florocarbon Knot?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:45 pm 

I lost a monster red this week. He slammed a 5” white shad plastic on a red head jig and took off on 3 thrilling runs. Just when I thought he was tiring, he took off one last time and my line went limp.
When I reeled in the line, it was obvious the jig head had come untied from the 20lb fluorocarbon leader. I thought I had tied it securely with an improved Clinch Knot but I’m never quite sure it’s completely tight.

What knot does everyone think is best to use when tying a lure or jig directly onto 20lb florocarbon leader?

Now...
18' Hewes Redfisher

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:42 pm 

I use fluoro 20#. When fishing with a soft plastic on a jighead, I tie a canoeman's loop knot because,...1.) a loop knot allows the jighead/soft plastic more freedom of movement when being retreived and 2.) it's a easy, quick and simple knot to tie.

I wouldn't argue with anyone that this knot is the "strongest", however, it has NEVER failed for me (including on over-slot Redfish).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:17 pm 

I used to use a modified clinch knot, but now I use a palomar knot.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:56 am 

I also use canoeman knot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:49 pm 

I use uni for everything. It is fast, simple and never fails. I've caught different big fish using this knot. It has never been proven that a loop knot produces more bites.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 pm 

Each of us does a knot that is easy to tie (for them) and seems to hold when really stressed.
I agree with Internetpilot and use only the Palomar Knot, since it is very easy to tie, quickly done, easy to tie in nasty weather, and works with mono, flouro, and braid.
It can be used on any "terminal tackle"...hooks, jigheads, sinkers, etc, etc....
It also gets very high ratings in "Knots and Line Breakage" tests.

From a personal situation...it works for we "elderly gents with weaker eyes"....LOL!!
JohnYaksJax
PS1: For all types of line, always wet the line to keep the knot from burning the line or causing weak spots!! And, "Spit Lube" works great and is always available!!!
PS2: When you use a Palomar Knot and you want to be EXTRA sure that it will not slip, just DOUBLE the loop when you form it....wrap it twice around the main line!!

Last edited by JohnYaksJax on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:30 pm 

All knots are good. You want to be sure to moisten them by spitting on the knot before tightening. Otherwise, you will burn your line and not get a tight knot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:48 am 

I use the Canoeman's knot for most lures. Very dependable, quick and easy to tie, and allows good lure action.

I use the Albright knot for tying fluoro to braid. 20 wraps of braid creates a nice long streamlined knot that is extremely strong.

Attachments:
20181017_085119.jpg
20181017_085119.jpg [ 113.91 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:50 pm 

Mudfish wrote:
I use the Canoeman's knot for most lures. Very dependable, quick and easy to tie, and allows good lure action.

Ask 12 anglers and you're likely to get numerous different answers. For inshore saltwater yak angling, 3-4 basic knots should suffice for most applications.

Typically, the "strongest" knots are more intricate and require more time to tie - easier to do at the work bench with good lighting vs. in the yak when you may be rocking around.

I agree that the Canoeman's Loop Knot (or other loop knots) provides good lure action.

There's the Kreh, Perfection and Rapala (and others) in addition to the Canoeman's Loop Knot.

In my opinion (and based on my experience) most knot failures are due to "operator error": improperly tied, not wetting line, not checking for abrasions, "old" line, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 pm 

As with so any others I use a canoeman's loop. My largest ever landed fish on that knot has been a 52lb musky a Lake of the Woods in Canada 6 summers ago ( yes on an Emmrod ). I use this connection on 20lb fluorocarbon up north and here at home in Florida. Thus far it's never failed me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 pm 

Like everyone else has said, I prefer the Canoeman's loop for most lures with a closed eye. Otherwise I use snell knot or improved clinch. For braid to floro, I mainly use a triple surgeon's knot but sometimes I still use
uni to uni. As far as loop knot vs improved clinch or palomar, I once fished side by side to a guide who had loop knot and I had a improved clinch knot. WE had the same tackle, same bait and were fishing the same hole. He had three times the hook up rate as I.

As far as losing your red I have had a similar experience but it turned out to be the cheap bass pro floro came undone. I now use a coffee mug test of any new floro I purchase. I take a strand of the floro , tie a canoeman's loop thru the mug handle, and pull mug away in one hand away from the floro held in the other. You would be amazed how many floro lines pop or come untied.

BTW, The final knot of a canoeman's loop is really a bowline knot. It is just tied differently to make it easier, I presume, to tie with fishing line.