Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:53 pm 

Hey everyone - Thought I'd drop a line and introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a while I researched boats and whatnot. Grew up bass fishing in Ohio and Tennessee and moved to Jax a few years ago. I've been getting my fishing fix in the surf for the last few years but I've always wanted to get back to something closer to bass fishing and that's how I got here. Been there done that on the boat thing and didn't want to do down that road again so a kayak seemed like a fantastic alternative that would allow me to get off the shore. Anyways, I just picked up my rig from BCO a few hours ago and trying to put together the essentials to try and get on the water tomorrow or Sunday. If anyone wants to get together feel free to message me this weekend, or any other time for that matter. None of my buddies are into kayak fishing. If I don't hook up with someone here I was going to try to go to Mill Cove or Dutton Island in the morning. Going to keep it super simple and just try to get acquainted with the boat and get my sea legs. May bring one rod and some mud minnows or something.

That about wraps it up I think. Excited to hopefully start catching some fish and continuing to learn from all the great info on this board. Hopefully I'll meet up with some of you all sometime.

Tight lines.

Scott

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:52 pm 

Don't throw away that bass gear. Spinner baits are catching reds for us right now. Tomorrow you have a big high tide so fish them way up in the grass for reds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:32 pm 

Scott nice meeting you at Dutton Preserve. Sorry the fishing was slow today. Good look with your new kyack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:57 pm 

Like i said, slow day. Had about a two hour period were the fish were hitting good. Located fish in deeper water toward the intercoastal on the points with moving water. Ended up with 3 trout, 1 flounder, 1 red. All small no keepers. It was fun exploring a new area, adding it to my list. Will go back, when the weather cools off more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:49 pm 

Drew55 wrote:
Scott nice meeting you at Dutton Preserve. Sorry the fishing was slow today. Good look with your new kyack.

Thanks for letting me tag along. I had a blast and learned a lot. You were catching them so my end was definitely operator error!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm 

Scott....Welcome to JKF and looking forward to meeting you....and hopefully fishing together!!
I was born in Canton, Ohio and fished the creeks and lakes of their municipal park system a lot.
Moved to West Virginia when I was 10 and lived a couple of blocks from the Ohio River, and fished it a lot but it had mostly catfish, carp, suckers, etc back then due to the pollution. Fished local farm ponds and creeks and caught my first (& ONLY) musky in Middle Island Creek...pure luck, but it counts!!
Fished at West Point, NY and they had trout in their lakes, so got a few of them.
Moved to Xenia, Ohio after I got married and fished mostly creeks...when ice did not cover them and the Xenia Tornado chased me away!! Then to Indiana for 4 years and a little bit in creeks. Finally got smart and moved down here to JAX and learned to Saltwater Fish....
Sorry for the LONG-winded message, but I guess my point was that moving to new states is a bummer sometimes, but learning to fish local waters and for different species is part of the fun.

What kind of kayak did you get at BCO?? I worked there for 5 1/2 years P/T and still keep active there. What make and model did you buy?? ALL are good products there.
Glad to know you got her maiden voyage under your belt, and now to get her slimed and get that skunk off of her!!

Drew...Congrats on getting you S/W slam up at Dutton...not a legal Slam but that is why they call it "fishing" instead of CATCHING!!
Hope to get back on the water soon, and hope to meet both of your someplace!!
JohnYaksJax
PS: Scott....forgot to add that my daughter and SIL lived in Sewanee, TN for 3 1/2 years, so I got some fishing done up there...ponds, creeks, and lakes...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm 

Went back to Dutton this morning and as of 8:07 AM the skunk is officially off the boat. Got a trout off a point on a skitter V. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there. No other fish though I definitely missed a few. Met up with Fish Hound and he landed a 16" flounder. Still a great day despite the lack of fish.

John - I grew up in Cincinnati and we avoided the Ohio for the same reasons. Fished a lot of creeks, farm ponds and the Little Miami River. Spent many weekends at Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee and occasionally Cumberland.

I had my heart set on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 but decided to stop in BCO just to check out some other stuff and ended up picking up a Compass. I'm not going to use the pedal drive for a while so I can get a good handle on paddling but I like having the option for bigger water. At first I didn't like the that it didn't have a lot of storage and accessory type stuff but it looks like there's a ton of options that will allow me to rig it how I want it so in the end I think that's a good thing despite having to pay extra for it. All in all I'm really happy with it and feel like it was definitely the right choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 pm 

Good day!
Your deck got christened!