Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Redfish have me stumped
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:26 pm 

I got out today to try to chase some Redfish. Changed plans and ended up going to Dutton Island.

Loaded up with some fresh finger mullet, and on the water by 7AM. Tide was already coming in, so I slowly started making my way back into the creeks and could see bait being chased and blown up. I tried to get my bait on top of them, but all I managed to do was spook what looked like a good pod of reds away.

I then tried to set up at a junction of one smaller creek into the main creek and still nothing.

All I managed to do was catch one dink trout (seems to be the main thing I catch).

I must be doing something wrong? I fished incoming tide, watched for bait and wakes to see if there were fish, and tried fishing the weed lines/oyster beds/little grass islands. Still nothing.

I’m really hoping that eventually it will all “click” and I can start catching some solid fish.

I do think maybe next time fishing a falling time would help? Am I attacking things wrong? I fished with live finger mullet on an 1/8oz Slayer jig head; slowly bouncing the mullet on the bottom.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:20 pm 

I have always had my best luck fishing the outgoing tides just before dead low tide. Also I use fresh dead shrimp and fish the oyster beds. I usually catch my limit each time. The fishing will get better if and when the weather cools down a bit. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:46 am 

Last few weeks the only thing reds I've caught bit on were cut mullet. Trout like live mullet, reds cut mullet. Saturday's Oct. 6th 20" red bit on a 12" mullet (total length caught in cast net) head I cut in half drifted on sandy flat outgoing tide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 pm 

Outgoing to around dead low tide is key
Fish the potholes
Find where the drop offs and ledges are
Find the large bait schools and fish the edges
This weekend I connected with a bunch of sub slot reds
A couple of slots too
One got away one I invited home for dinner