Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 pm 

My family and I just moved to the area from Texas, and we're currently located in Fleming Island. I have done my fair share of saltwater fly fishing in TX, but since I am without a boat my options for fishing are somewhat narrower, and I would like to look at some of areas closer to home that I can take my wife and daughter to where we can get outside and maybe catch a few bass on the fly in the process.

I've noticed in the Fleming Island area lots of little communities and golf courses with a ton of ponds. Eagle Harbor is the one that sticks out the most to me since it looks like it has a walking/biking trail that goes all around the community with tons of ponds right off the trail. Has anyone ever fished these ponds with success? Has anyone run into any issues fishing these (security, jerk residents or anything?)

Excited to be in the area and to hopefully catch a few fish!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm 

Hello mockrocks and Welcome to JKF and N.E. Florida!!

Sorry, but I live over in Neptune Beach and do not know that area.....I rarely "cross the ditch" (the ICW) and almost never cross the St. Johns River....

Most of those man-made ponds and small lakes are in CLOSED communities, and you guessed it...security guards and A-hole residents. Hard to blame the residents tho when they PAY to live in a secure area and get very tired of picking up trash.

The further EAST you go...there are more places to take the family and pack a lunch and do some flyfishing.
Look at the top of this page and you will see in ALL CAPS: "FISHING SPOTS", so check them out and the creator of this site spent ALOT of time working on getting them written and loaded on here.
Check out Dutton Island, Oak Harbor, Mickler's Landing, and Guana River Park which has two areas for land based fishing and has a great wildlife education center which your daughter might like.
Not much freshwater fishing at the beaches, but Huguenot Park has a big lake and it has camping, picnicking, and is right beside the ocean so you can do both fresh and saltwater fishing without moving your car and it has good security. It is on Mayport Road on the way to the Mayport Naval Station....let Mom and Daughter do the beach thingy and you can fish the lake and ocean the same day!!
Good Luck...JohnYaksJax
PS: I am a newbie to fly fishing, but have a couple of fly outifts. My most recent one is a super light weight rig which I wanted for my trips to Charlotte, NC where my daughter, SIL, and 3 Grandkids live. They have some park streams very close to their home with panfish, smallmouth bass, and some trout so I wanted something short and light and a guy up there had a TFO Lefty Kreh BVK Signature Series II rod with a TFO BVK Series Reel and it is a Size1!!! Like casting with a willow branch and the first fish that I caught with it was from a dock at Dutton Island in Atlantic Beach....and my first fish on that new rig was a 13" flounder on an orange streamer fly...FUN STUFF!!
John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:50 pm 

Check out what I call Vystar lake. Look at it on google maps.It's in Fleming Island . You can access it from the Vystar office building(not the bank branch), the YMCA parking lot, or other places. I usually put my kayak in from the Vystar parking lot but you can fish from shore at various places. It's quite big for a neighborhood pond. I have caught decent largemouth bass and speckled perch in there. There are some huge grass carp in there also. Good luck, Mark T.