Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:33 pm 

Hi folks,

I haven't been active on this forum for a few years. But, I recently retired and have more time for fishing now. I am just wondering, is there a kayak fishing group in the St. Augustine area? I would be interested in getting with a group in this area if there is one here.

Happy fishing folks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:18 pm 

I’m game. I fish there often. Weekends and vacation time. Hospital creek, Aunt Kates or Villano ramp. Have not attempted Beach launch yet but want to.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:24 pm 

Hey stumpknocker.....Welcome back to JKF and thanks for posting!!

There is a kayak group down in St. Aug. and it "used" to be the "staugustinekayakanglers.com" but that might have changed..??

David Hernandez started that group a couple of years ago and now he owns the "St. Augustine Paddle Sports company" which sells kayaks, SUPs, and live and frozen bait, and he also has a very nice selection of all things kayak fishing.
The store is right there at 233 State Road 16, Suite A. They have guest speakers about every other weekend that give presentations of fishing that area and for those species!! His phone # is 904-290-3869....please let him know I sent you!! ;)
Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax aka John Stewart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:18 pm 

jstachowiak wrote:
I’m game. I fish there often. Weekends and vacation time. Hospital creek, Aunt Kates or Villano ramp. Have not attempted Beach launch yet but want to.

Yeah, I haven't fished that area much....only once and I've never fish Hospital Creek, though I have thought about it. I fish around the 206 bridge a lot and near Moultrie creek quite often lately. I don't fish the creek itself much, too much boat and kayak traffic especially on the weekends. But I'm up for fishing anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:54 pm 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Hey stumpknocker.....Welcome back to JKF and thanks for posting!!

There is a kayak group down in St. Aug. and it "used" to be the "staugustinekayakanglers.com" but that might have changed..??

David Hernandez started that group a couple of years ago and now he owns the "St. Augustine Paddle Sports company" which sells kayaks, SUPs, and live and frozen bait, and he also has a very nice selection of all things kayak fishing.
The store is right there at 233 State Road 16, Suite A. They have guest speakers about every other weekend that give presentations of fishing that area and for those species!! His phone # is 904-290-3869....please let him know I sent you!! ;)
Good Luck!!
JohnYaksJax aka John Stewart

Hey John,

I remember you from when I was more active on this forum! Thanks for the info!

I checked the St. Augustine Kayak Anglers web site this weekend. From what I saw, there has been no activity on the forum since 2015.

This past Saturday I attended a seminar at St. Augustine Paddle Sports and met David. He was a great guy. The guest speaker was Tmdfam (A.K.A. Tim). He is a good speaker and gave a very good presentation. I learned a lot from him and can't wait to get on the water and use the techniques I learned. It was great to be around so many like-minded folks! I'll probably be a regular at S.A.P.S. from now on!

Take care,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:26 pm 

Highway 206 sounds great. Do you put in next to bridge off Coastal dr?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:15 pm 

There’s a Facebook group you can join called St. Augustine Kayak Anglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 am 

jstachowiak wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:28 am 

jstachowiak wrote:

There are spots to launch on both sides of the Intracoastal near the bridge. I usually launch on the west end of the bridge, but it can get pretty muddy on that side, especially around low tide. I may start using the east side with my new kayak. It's not as muddy. There are some good fishing spots around the bridge, lots of oyster beds and some islands...2 small creeks south of the bridge and the mouth of Moses creek is 3/4 of a mile north. I caught my P.B. Redfish in that area.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:43 am 

scosmi wrote:
There’s a Facebook group you can join called St. Augustine Kayak Anglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I signed up, waiting to be verified.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:37 pm 

Hi, Stumpknocker and JStach_:

I'm midway between Jax and St. Aug in NW SJC & would be happy to Buddy-up sometime, weekends -or- weekdays.
I've heard that weekends out of Vilano are a zoo, though I'd be game to try the surrounding banks, hsptl creek, other areas, as long as they've got ~ 2' of water and a trailer-launch point.
Have got a spare sailing kit to cover distances or to get back before a storm.

I've fished Matanzas. That can be touch-n-go w boaters & crowds - even if fish cooperate.

I missed Dave Hernandez' seminar last Saturday at St Aug Paddle Sports due illness, but typically attend as they're very good. Sorry to have missed you.

Cheers,
Bill H
2 H-PA's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 am 

I have a part time business that I operate Monday - Wednesday, but I'm open to fishing Thursday - Sunday. I like to fish early morning around the low tide. I'm usually on the water before daylight headed to one of my favorite spots. But, I'm open to other times too. So let me know if y'all want to get together sometime.

Also, how do you find out about the seminars at St. Aug. Paddle Sports? Are they usually posted on this forum?

Take care,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 pm 

Hey, Mark,

Sounds good.

I frequently find the St Augustine Paddle Sports Seminars on the Facebook "St Augustine Fishing" and also "Flagler Kayak Anglers". Will Niemann is associated w St Augustine Paddle Sports and I believe David A. Hernandez is one of the owners. There's typically ~ 1 seminar a month with varying sponsors of lures & tackle. Highly informative.

Best,
BH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:40 pm 

Thanks Bill!
I have sent request to join both groups.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:12 pm 

Sure thing, Mark.

Best,
Bill H