Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 am 

Our Trip up Crooked Creek

Because of the two hydroelectric dams on the Oconee River, the water level in Crooked Creek fluctuates a good bit. But after two and half years I can look at the water level from our front porch and almost predict how far up the creek I can go. Around 2:00 this afternoon I looked and immediately I knew my destination! Where you might ask? The Talking Rocks!

After grabbing a couple of bottles of water I discussed my plan with my associate. I knew before we even talked that Maximus Relaximus was all in!

We had a window of about 2 ½ hours and I knew that if the conditions were like I thought, we could do the round trip in 2 or less. I can almost always make it to the Old Bridge but once past the bridge the bottom becomes more rock that sand.

The water is usually clear, shallow and cool and you must take your time and stay in the darker, and deeper, water. Occasionally you may have to Injun up right along the bank instead of staying in the middle of the creek like a pilgrim.

Max and I made it through Hickory Pass with ease. Going under the armpit of the Natural Bridge was a cinch and soon we were in sight of the Old Bridge.

Once past the bridge we slid quietly and slowly along, and I only had to get out one time before we made it to our destination. It was at that point that I wished I had not left my Keen Sandals back on the Dachshund’s Dock. Once we got to the rocks we wedged up to listen to the small talk of the Talking Rocks. The sound was soothing, pure and cool and we knew at that point that we were blessed to have access to this lovely venue.

Max wanted to stay awhile longer but since I was the only one willing to paddle today we decided to bring it on home.

Thanks so much for joining us this afternoon!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:00 pm 

I love these post from Ol' Captain.

Not a fan of what you did Bosspwyr.

This is not the place to sell your stuff!

You should be slapped.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm 

Fish Hound wrote:
I love these post from Ol' Captain.

Not a fan of what you did Bosspwyr.

This is not the place to sell your stuff!

You should be slapped.

Thanks for the kind words. Come see us!