Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Offshore kayak trips
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 pm 

Lets use this thread for offshore trip planning purposes and if you want other forum members to join you. Please post the following:
1) Date and time when you are planning to go.
2) Launching location
3) Fish you are targetting
I will start first:
1) 8/27/2018, 6-30AM if surf is calm and wind is < 9 mph
2) Vilano Surfside park vs Ponte Vedra Beach, across Guana River Road (Gate gas station), but pretty much open to other spots
3) Tarps, sharks maybe kings. Whatever is swimming around.
Also, we can share any thoughts about launching locations, fishing tips, etc.
I would assume if there is NE or NW wind, it would be easier to launch South of Mayport jetties and if there is SE or SW wind, then Vilano beach and PVB are good launching locations due to protective properties of Vilano inlet jetties. Those thoughts need further observation.
Has anyone tried to launch in the inlets (Vilano, Nassau South, Mayport, etc). This idea looks kind of dangerous to me because of very shaky water, waves and current there. Please share your thoughts.
I use PredictWind app and WindFinder app. The last one is not very accurate in my opinion. I also use AccuWeather website. What resources do you use to plan your trips?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Offshore kayak trips
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 pm 

I think we have to make the strategy first before we want to take a trip, that is a good trip for information however could you give the details and what should we do first to take offshore kayak trips because usually sea is unpredictable wave and wind. In this case, wind and wave is two important things we have to know first in the offshore trips

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:06 am 

I've mentioned earlier somewhere that I'm new to the BTB. I carry out a drift anchor and I am considering putting together a set up very similar to the one in the following video. What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/meUyC58Jf6M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:57 pm 

Smithurecel, I always have "Plan B" until I see the ocean. If surf appears to rough to launch, I would go to ICW, Nassau South, creeks or Guana. it looks like the entire next week is going to be too windy for offshore kayak fishing.
Shrimp, I have never tried anchoring in the ocean. I like dragging a live bait around. If large fish hits my bait, it would need to fight a resistance of my rod, reel and pull my kayak on the run. If you hook up a really big fish, you would need all 3 to avoid getting spooled and potentially flipped over. If I set my drag tight, the fish would need to pull my kayak on the run and I can manipulate all those 3 tools depending on how much line I have left on my reel and how far I am from the shore.
Also, the fish may go around a kayak and mess with an anchor rope. It may create a dangerous situation when fish may flip you over.
Finally, I prefer not to have anything heavy in my kayak when launching the surf. So, if I go upside down in the surf, I would not appreciate a heavy anchor hitting my head :shock: I am not saying you cannot do it, but just something to consider.