Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jacksonville changes?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 pm 

So I haven't been to Jacksonville in several years until this weekend. Don't get me wrong the weather was great (a little hot) and I was able to land some fish and have a decent fish taco at a local restaurant.

But here are my some thoughts, maybe its just me.....but anyways, some local feedback would be nice.

1. Did the population and city explode in size, man it seems growth is really good and strong there. Highways and building are put up faster than ever. Thought I was in Atlanta for a while.
2. Did everyone from the North Eastern Coast move to Jacksonville? Never heard so many accents and sometimes just unfriendly, maybe just me.
3. Where the heck did all the boats come from and where did the kayaks go? Maybe due to the better economy everyone stepped up to the next level. Or
maybe its just summer time and the kayak guys are waiting for cooler weather and less boats.
4. What happened to some common courtesy slow down for a kayak, I could have reach out and touched some guys ( boats and jetskis ) blowing past me at mach2 !!

Anyways guess I'm just looking for some advice, go further north or south for less congestion, stay away until October/November or March, or start looking for another location?

It wasn't all bad tho.....I did have a younger guy ( mid 20s ) offer assistance to loading my kayak back on my trailer. Just for point of reference....I was at Oak Harbor on Saturday, not sure if that makes a difference.

I will now step off my soapbox.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:10 pm 

Well, I can tell you I am waiting for some cooler weather. I moved to Nocatee this summer and have been exploring the Palm Valley area, but I need to paddle a couple of miles to get to some creeks that look interesting and fishy. I also need some time to figure out the tides and such. Early mornings aren't too bad but a long paddle at noon is a workout!

As for your other observations - yes - this area seems to have exploded. Growth everywhere. I don't know where they are all coming from (I'm a native myself). And there seems to be a decline in the cohesiveness of the kayak fishing community over the last couple of years. But things are always changing, and we can choose to adapt, or follow, or go our own way.

Now that I'm retired I can choose to do my fishing during the week, so I don't normally encounter many people out on the water. But those that I do seem friendly and helpful, and genuinely enjoying all the area has to offer.

I hope you'll keep coming back, but fall and spring might be more comfortable!

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 pm 

I don't know the answer to all those questions, but I like to use a kayak not because of poor economical situation, but because it is much more fun to catch a fish from a kayak. There are places where you cannot get on the boat. It is a great opportunity to exercise and keep yourself in shape. We do not move enough, most of the people sit at the desk for the entire day then use a car to move around.