Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 pm 

I’m certainly not the first person to ever notice it but enthusiasm is definitely contagious! If you see someone laughing and having a grand old time it is only natural to gravitate toward the fun and join them! That’s just the way it is and that is the way it was late this afternoon in the drizzling summer rain here on our beloved Crooked Creek.

It just so happens that I tried to paddle up to the Old Bridge a couple of days ago and once again, we had a tree down. There was also one that we had been paddling under that seemed to be arriving at the Limbo low status. While I was still able to get under the Limbo tree, the other one had to go!

Not wanting to wear out my welcome with my good buddy Danny Blair I asked myself WWTSD? What would Tom Sawyer do? After some deliberation I called on another friend. Jack Hardie is a man’s man and his shoulders are as wide as the Carp Shark. He is one of the hardest workers I know, and he reminds me a great deal of my late son, Chad. I didn’t want to take advantage of Jack, but I did tell him how much FUN Danny Blair had with his chain saw in the creek and how everyone seemed to be lining up to help whitewash my fence. Could I help it if Jack showed up this afternoon with his paintbrush (Saw) in hand? Absolutely not!

So off we went in the drizzle with a saw and two men that were big enough to make the “tilt” light come on a time or two in da Shark. We went under the Limbo tree and attacked the smaller tree with relative ease.

Then we returned to the Limbo tree. Jack maneuvered and cut. He stretched and cut and eventually the saw got stuck!

Jack Hardie is no quitter and wanted to get his part of “the fence” done on this trip so I offered to hop out and see if I could maybe push up on the tree to relieve the pinch. The first thing I noticed was I should have checked the water depth first.

The second observation that I made was how wise is it for a man on Social Security to be standing in 6ft of creek water trying to unstick a chain saw? Well, like I said before, enthusiasm is contagious. Jack had pointed out that we came to do a job and we needed to finish it. (I knew at that point that perhaps I had sold this fence painting job a little too well.)

Well, Jack Hardie doesn’t quit until the job is completed. We got the creek clear and the logs moved. We even made a victory lap to the Old Bridge and took time for a photo opp or two.

We got back to the Dachshund’s Dock and Jack said……..”That was fun!” Folks, I gotta tell ya. Enthusiasm IS contagious!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:30 pm 

I read your stories, and have almost decided to go on a road trip. Love catfish and your creek looks like it would be fun. At my age, no chainsaws though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:46 pm 

syl17 wrote:
I read your stories, and have almost decided to go on a road trip. Love catfish and your creek looks like it would be fun. At my age, no chainsaws though

Come see us!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:15 am 

:cheers: Ahh another one of your stories that brings a smile. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:41 am 

JeffreyMcGovern wrote:
:cheers: Ahh another one of your stories that brings a smile. :thumbright:

Thanks so much for hanging in there with me!