Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oak Harbor
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:34 pm 

Hello all,

So testing out some new waters these days. At one time I was all about Guana, any and every time I had a break to wet a line. But it was always a haul and often cut into precious fishing time because of the drive. But NOW I live in Mayport and a grand total of 8min from the Oak Harbor ramp. Which for me means even on a work day I can still squeeze in time to wet a line, if the honey do list is current..lol.

So with alllll that being said, ive given it a go probably 4 or 5 times the past month. I have been skunked all but 1 time out. Normally I take the first right after leaving the main channel, then stay to the right and head up the creek. Instead of veering left and going towards the bridge. I usually have both shrimp and mudds with me, since B&M is right across the street. But I have also been trying to up my artificial game as well, so I dont have to stop for bait.

Either I am just not holding my mouth right or this is karma for how good I had it at Guana. Any tips, directions, headings, would be appreciated. Has anyone shot across the ICW and fished the docks over in the housing area? Can you even get in there, because on google maps it looks like there is some sort of structure right at the entrance. It almost looks as if its a gate of some kind.

I still have my little red yak hybrid. But have recently aquired a little Jon boat also because I gotta teach my 3 boys the art of fishing. But if I dont start bringing hone some reds, trout or flounder for dinner, that honey do list is gonna grow even more to make sure I stay home!!

Tight lines everyone!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Oak Harbor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 am 

Don’t forget about Dutton island. It’s an easy paddle across the ICW. Also, just before you go over the Atlantic blvd bridge there is a little road that goes under the bridge. You can launch there too. Try top water early and late and troll a paddle tail on a 1/4 or 1/8 oz jig head when moving from spot to spot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:34 am 

I live in oak harbor the bite is tough right now, you can go into the creeks on the other side but not past that structure your seeing on the map it’s a lock for the queens harbor lagoon.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm 

You're on the right spot. I fish that area frequently and catch reds, trout, and flounders.
In the summer is tougher, but still manageable first two hours after sunrise, and with good tide.
Muds, shrimp and mullets work great.