Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I can't stop upgrading!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:04 pm 

Walked into Walmart so many times, and kept seeing a 10' lifetime Tamarack as high as they could put it. $278.00. I always walk to the camping gear just for giggles. And that is were they hung it.
I love being outdoors, but I am not going to spend a lot of money, ( read on), to be there.
I have, and always be a fisherman! (1st quirk). Mostly bank fishing in So. Fla.
My 2nd and 3rd quirk is;
1. I love to hike. Nothing like being out on a trail! I became slower and more fatigued with every "ultralight" gadget that looked to meet my needs in my pack, only to find that I was carrying 50+ lbs of weight before I even had food and water! (over upgraded!)
2. Camping. OMG! I often solo. Tried using a two man tent to keep my overpacked-self gear dry. Never again! Too much weight! (Over upgraded)
These two taught me how do with less while in the bush. (or so I thought).

And now the Yak;

I walked in and told someone that I want that, right now! I have never seen so many people gather to watch

Last edited by Fish Hound on Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 pm 

The whole store was there to see a $278.00 purchase. Customers, employees, managers all came out of the wood work to see the spectacle I caused. When they brought it to the floor, I pressed my luck. Pointed out drag marks and a cosmetic gouge. Asked if I could get a discount on the price. Manager took $50.00 off. SWEET!
I knew, from the moment I bought this yak, How I wanted to up-grade it. This was my new "project!"
I was going to make it the best I could!
After a few test runs, I knew what I had and how it handles. To me it was low and slow. I affectionally named her, "The Brick." because I saw how she behaved in the water.
With only two rods and a "stupid,' ill-equipped tackle box and a PFD, I set out. (didn't catch anything). I paddled that creek for every inch. My rods got tangled up in tree limbs, and untangling them and trying to fumble around for my little tackle box taught me balance. Hope this will help me when I'm ready for Ocean fishing, but who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm 

Upgrading, hacking, modifying. Call it what you will. To me, all I wanted was something better than what I bought, to make it better!

The very first time I every tried to paddle was on a SUP, (Stand up paddle board). 3 months of trying, never once was I to ever find my center of gravity on it and took a drink more times than I care too share. Trust me, Salt water taste the same here as it did there! Not for me! Not a fan of the dunk! So I sold the evil SOB and bought a sit in kayak.

I remember the very first step I placed in my sit in kayak hoping I would not fall through! And then being able to sit balanced like sitting in a rocking chair. And then being able to push off and paddle!

That! was my first upgrade, Hack or mod!

Never Looked Back!

Last edited by Fish Hound on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 pm 

Now I have the Tamarack. An inexpensive SOT. Made in the USA! great customer service.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 pm 

So here I am with my first SOT yak...…….
Knew I was going to have to mod it for my needs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:43 pm 

sorry. very late night for me. will be back later about topic...………….
there will be a point and ending to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:11 pm 

Dude! Get busy! Drill some holes and take some pics! I love making my vessels different from anyone else's. And I like seeing other people's mods, hacks, and upgrades. Better yet is seeing someone else's solution, and tweaking it to fit my needs.

We're waiting.........

"Of course, folk fish for different reasons. There are enough aspects of
angling to satisfy the aspirations of people remarkably unalike."
-- Maurice Wiggin --

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 am 

LOL.
Sorry Tadpole! I went through all this effort to ramble on and got pulled away before I could finish.

When I sold my old sit in, I sold it as a package deal, real cheap! I was new to the area and didn't realize I was now dead center to some of the best year-round kayak fishing, Florida has to offer.

Before I could even pick up my new yak, I had to get a few things first;
1. A PDF. (will never be without one).
2. An "inexpensive" ROOF TOP CARRIER. I purchased one of those foam block type that allow you to use straps to tighten it down to the roof.
3. A KAYAK DOLLY. Not going to drag the yak to the launch point.
4. IMPULSE BUYS! A sucker is born every minute. (It was like I was a kid in a candy store). I picked up things I thought I could use later while hacking my kayak BEFORE I even had it. Some things proved to be useful over time. Others however, were impratical installations to my kayak design.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am 

And here is where I began this story. At Walmart, telling some poor associate that I wanted that kayak, right now. It was going to be sold!
I already knew that the items I just bought a few day before, equaled the cost of the kayak, (maybe more). But I was, (and probably should be) committed to what I was about to do.

HACK THIS YAK!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:59 pm 

The Tamarack came with two bungee cord strap downs. One in the bow, that is a bit out of reach while on the water. And one in the stern, behind the seat. They are held with hook cleats. I am Not a fan of this type of tie down. The bungee cord was stretched too tight and is strung in a way that really doesn't allow for any real deck top storage while paddling, although it looks pretty cool while in storage.
My first voyages were with two rods tucked into the flush mount holders that came with my yak and a little 12"x8"x6" tacklebox, that I strapped behind my seat. The bungee cord over my tacklebox screamed at me, "too much!" This was a box 12" long, 6" wide and 8" high! I knew full well, that if I rolled that day, I was going to lose my gear. Yet, I pressed on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:19 pm 

During my little test runs, I think I have met Ol' Blue. He was testing out a home made stabilizer system on his canoe. Given that I was still getting ready to hack my yak, I had to approach him and tell him how cool I thought that was.
Even though this was his first test, He took the time to show me all he had done. Everything he shared with me that day, would not be wasted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:35 pm 

Worry not Tadpole!
Here they come.
The very first thing I found out was I needed more "deck space" to carry my gear. and carry it organized and compact, while it was easy to get to.

Welcome to the "Crate."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 pm 

I bought one of those "cheap" crates from Walmart. It was long and wide enough to give me ample storage, (or so I thought). I continued to paddle, the whole time thinking how cool it will be once I finish my crate.
This crate greeted me every night I came home. When I first bought it, I test fitted it to see if it would sit flat behind my seat. It did.
Given I knew it would fit my yak, the placement of the crate did not matter anymore. It became, how do I mod THIS crate.

Want to know what I found out?

DO NOT USE A "CHEAP" WALMART CRATE!
After trying for a Month of Sundays, there is simply no structural integrity in these things that will allow you to modify it with confidence.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

That Walmart crate now holds all my un-used, unpackaged impulse buys in a corner.

GET A REAL MILK CRATE!
They are strong, durable, and can be modified in so many ways! Often, I have seen them for free. And if you have one to give away, let me know. (I still need to make a lid). But. If you have to buy one, get the best quality you can. (I have seen 350+lb men stand on a Publix crate and not fall through).

My point is, do not skimp on your crate if you are going to add one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm 

SO...…
Now I have my crate.
Everyday I would come home from work, open my apartment door, and there it waited for me. I kept looking at it. I over thought it a lot! At this point, "the brick" did not have any attachment points to secure the crate. Didn't care. At that time, It was really about focusing on how to best set up my crate and only the crate.

(Side note); My kayak trolly is a scupper hole syle. I invert it behind me while on the water. I had to take this into account for my crate and how i was going to modify it. The wheels on the trolly pretty much make the flush mount rod holders useless. Knowing that my kayak trolly was going to be a part of my water experience, I dry fitted my crate several times.