Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: guana fish kill
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:25 pm 

Any one have any details seen pic on tv looked like several hundred on 100 ft of shorefwc says its due to the heat my sources tell me its mostly croakers and is due to dam repair

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Post subject: Re: guana fish kill
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:37 pm 

We were camping at north beach when it happened. I was actually planning my trip to Guana for the next day and came across the news report. What luck. It did look like croakers and they had it cleaned up right away. I saw people catching trout at the dam the next day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:01 pm 

which tv program.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:29 pm 

Channel 47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 am 

It was all croakers that had been stuck under the dam during the repairs, when the flood tide pushed water through the dam they got pushed into the lake side. Fished that day and the reds were still chewing.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:21 am 

It was all croakers that had been stuck under the dam during the repairs, when the flood tide pushed water through the dam they got pushed into the lake side. Fished that day and the reds were still chewing.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:19 am 

I heard the same now from several people I believe the same thing happened when they attempted to repair the dam a few years ago after a hurricane. Last time though it was mostly reds I was told wonder why the channel 12 news reported that the FWC said it was due to the hot weather it would be nice if the people responsible for repairing the dam would be more careful.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 am 

Between all the rain and the flood tides there’s only so much they can do, when they first pumped out the pit on the lake side and put the temp structure in place they did relocate all the fish. Every flood though pushes water in from the river side and they had to pump it all out. It was a few hundred croakers most of them small, no biggie especially compared to the winter kills in guana. This January during that real cold week we scouted for ducks and saw dead fish all over the lake, thousands of them croakers, catfish, trout, snook, small tarpon, pretty much everything but reds and a few thousand pelicans and vultures feasting on all the shorelines. I thought it was odd this got news attention they literally were only there on the shore for a few hours before they got eaten by birds and I’m sure gators that night. We fished again the next day and only saw one dead croaker.

Custom Gheenoe NMZ