Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommendation
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:57 pm 

I'm trying to decide on a first kayak. It will mainly be for fishing, so I want stability first and foremost. Light weight would be a second criteria, as I have it on a rack near the water, but still have to move it a short distance to the water. I certainly don't want something as heavy as my canoe, which I believe weighs around 80 lbs. 60-70 lbs would be OK though.

I have sort of narrowed it down to a used OK BG II (2013/2014/2015 model) or a new Vibe Sea Ghost 110. Which of those two would be the most stable? I'm guessing the BGII, since it is 1" wider and a few pounds heavier, but much larger carry capacity. However, the Vibe gives you the rudder and paddle, which are a nice bonus. I would prefer the SG 130 over the 110 for the extra tank well space, and paddling speed I'm sure I would gain. But the 13lb weight difference (62 vs 75) is a big turn off.

Are there others I should be looking at? The only thing I have seen out of ICAT (which ends today) is the BonaFide Rise 117, which has MSRP of $999. But they have not released the weight on that one as yet. I want to keep the price under $1000. I'm not concerned with speed, as I won't be going too far. But use is in the ICW, so I will have to fight the tides. I assume the Vibe would be the better choice in fighting the tides. I would spend more for a used pedal drive, but my use is going to be mostly in very shallow water along the ICW, so I don't think a pedal drive would be a good idea.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter