Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:33 pm 

Fished a location, Fishbone Creek, a tidal creek through salt marsh about an hour and half near my home in Gainesville Today went out and for the first time saw a Gator less than 100 yards from where the creek dumps into the Bay. Over the last 2 weeks area has had allot of rain, water was tainted and only bite was hard head catfish. I am assuming there is a large concentration of freshwater in the creek and salinity levels are low, why alligators might venturing this part of the creek. Question, How much influence does freshwater run off in these tidal creeks have on trout and reds?? Do they seek water with higher salinity levels??

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:17 am 

Hello PIRATES and good to see you in here again!!
I read this wrong the first time and questioned whether G'ville would have any Tidal Creeks nearby, and then re-read your post again and saw that you were 1 1/2 hours from G'ville.....would that be over near Cedar Key?? I love it over there!!

Gators can tolerate saltwater pretty well and altho they prefer brackish or freshwater lakes, rivers, and ponds....you will see them sometimes and occasionally one gets TV time for being in the ocean!!
They are fairly rare in creeks close to the ICW and Guana Lake is covered with them!! South of the Guana Dam, I had never seen one during many trips down there until one day I was about a mile south of the dam and backed up in the mud to fish and saw a HUGE set of paw prints....left there pretty quickly!!

Lack of Salinity in waters normally fished for reds and sea trout has been a BIG issue over here over the past 2-3 weeks and our local radio talk show "Gone Fishin" had several charter boat captains calling in about it...most of them said the reds and trout had migrated up the ICW and thru JAX and out to the Mayport Inlet...and they gave up fishing in the ICW south of Ponte Vedra and trailered their boats out to Mayport to launch....it has not rained as much the past 2 weeks here so hopefully salinity % should be higher now in the ICW and creeks that connect with it.
I will check out the fishing article on Thurs. in our weekly "beaches rag" newspaper and listen to the Friday fishing show on radio and let you know what they say!!
Take care!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:39 am 

Pirates,

The high rain has affected the bite due to salinity levels. While you will see mullet and a lot of bait fish, the reds and trout tend to not feed as much and move to deeper water. We fished the Gulf yesterday and didn't get a single bite in any creek or right at the creek mouths. All of our fish were caught in deeper holes away from the creeks or a half mile or more offshore.

Three of us managed to catch 12 reds, 6 trout, 1 snook, 1 bluefish, 6 sailcats and 3 ladyfish...lol!

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:47 pm 

Steve.....Please show them the "new lure" you used to catch that nice 29" redfish you sent me the picture of....Nice fish!!
John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:13 am 

JohnYaksJax wrote:
Steve.....Please show them the "new lure" you used to catch that nice 29" redfish you sent me the picture of....Nice fish!!
John

John,

Here are the pictures of the rig and the red. I was fishing for a pinfish and just had the jighead with a cut off piece of a soft plastic lure tossed out beside the kayak. Something hit it and I figured it was a pinfish, grunt or catfish. When I felt the weight, I knew it wasn't any of those. Amazing that the small hook held and didn't bend. Hooked the red inside the mouth.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador
2018 Hobie Compass - Sea Grass
2015 Hobie Pro Angler 14 - Papaya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:24 pm 

Steve...that is an amazing catch....the "bait" is a joke and the jighead is pretty small for that nice redfish!!
Congrats, and thanks for sharing.....John

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:37 pm 

Just saw this -- that's crazy Steve! Next time I go fishing, I'm trying bubblegum.

Perception Sport Destiny/Scout 12
Perception Striker 11.5
Field & Stream Shadow Caster 123