Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:03 pm 

Just passing the word to all my fellow Hobie Outback owners, with the new seat. You might want to check around the brass screw fittings where the back feet of the seat rest on the deck for cracks. Thanks to Joe at BCO, I should see my new hull in a couple of weeks. As per a conversation with Joe, those fittings allow you to place a piece of plastic or something there to help disperse the weight, and protect against what happened to me. Anybody ever heard of this mysterious item?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:36 pm 

Holy cow.
Thanks for the info.
I found a loose fitting in mine last week, but didn't know from whence it came.
Now I'm going to track it down with a vengeance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:33 pm 

If I understand, Your yak is suppose to accept or comes with a very nice seating system made from what is essentially a comfortable lawn chair. (may have misunderstood the post).

I am not an un-experienced paddler, But I am new to Jax and new to a SOP that I bought specifically bought to mod and fish in.

The very first thing I thought about was how can I modify the seat, (and still do). I researched a lot and found something that looked like solid gold. But to me, there was something wrong!

It was the aluminum pressure points on a plastic haul.

God, I hate a sore arz and numb legs when I'm docking my yak. No problems with paddle fatigue, but I feel like I'm going to fall over like a drunken sailor when pulling the yak out of the water because I can't feel my legs!

I can not understand a good weight distribution of metal against plastic that is not going fail. Everyone favores a position. Something has to give! We do not sit in a four point system, we lean. You lean to the right back, (assuming I saw the photo correctly). that was your pressure point on the plastic.

As you can see, I love your post!

Given that I am always looking to modify a Walmart brick, I think this is a good topic to address.

Thank you for your post.

Sorry if this was out or off topic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:54 pm 

Below is what I got from Kevin Nakada, with Hobie. I guess I totally misunderstood how Joe from BCO explained it to me. Sorry guys for passing bad info. Either way, I still suggest inspecting or paying close attention to those areas after every use.

Kevin's email reply:

Hi there,

I have been forwarded your inquiry with regards to your email above. The brass inserts located under the seat kickstands do not have an accessory that fits into them to protect the kickstand feet from puncturing the hull. They are molded in to increase structural hull integrity in those particular areas. You do not need an accessory to prevent the seat from going through the hull with those inserts molded in as they come from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk