Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:03 pm 

My Tamarack came with a standard aluminum paddle from Walmart. Given that I know that I am paddling a cheap yak that is what it is, and I love it none the less, my paddle works for me and does well for my needs. I do not get anymore fatige than I would expect.
Dose anyone have an opinion on this?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:11 pm 

Fish Hound.....I had a long and detailed answer written for you and when I tried to post it, the reply disappeared!! :angryfire: :scratch:

Just got back in here and decided to re-read it, and decided that I would wait until you decide to buy a new/different paddle, and probably a new model of kayak sometime soon. Your post really did not say that you were upset with your current paddle or you wanted something better, so......???

If you can manage your current kayak with the paddle you have now...without undue pain or soreness, you are probably fine!!
Why on earth would you buy a $300-350 carbon fiber paddle when the one you have now??
There are many variables in buying a paddle and until you develop some pain or stiffness, keep your $$$ and spend it on better fishing rod/reels, lures, and gear!!
Happy Kayaking and let us know how you do!!
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:12 pm 

Hey Fish Hound....very odd timing, but I just saw this on YouTube about selecting a paddle:

"What's the difference in Kayak Paddles? Watch This" on YouTube"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3YHxCN ... e=youtu.be

OR...... https://youtu.be/V3YHxCNylJE

Good Luck choosing a new paddle.....the guy is pretty knowledgeable about paddles and he says about 90% of what I typed for you...and then "LOST IT".... :scratch:
JohnYaksJax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 pm 

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply.
It wasn't really about looking for a new paddle. As I said, The one I got with my Tamarack works just fine for me. I know what I am paddling; It's a brick! It is only 50lbs once I remove all my gear and I can put it on my car roof on top of foam for transport. But once I'm rigged for the water, that is another thing!!!

Anyone that has paddled knows there is a big tracking difference between an 8-14ft yak.

I guess the purpose of my post was to ask...

Dose your (not yours, John, but in general) $200 paddle really offer any benefit?

I would love to hear back from someone that has a $150+ paddle and why.