Home ReviewsArticlesKayak Fishing ForumsTidesWeatherGuidesBait&TackleOnline StoreLinksKayak Fishing SpotsEventsPhoto Gallery
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:07 am 

(This is a repost from the 'Report' forum....think I'm in the right place now)

I'd like to catch something besides rat reds out there for a change.

I have just been using frozen/dead shrimp, but I hear that scented bait strips or grunt/mullet cut bait and/or Gulp shrimp works pretty good.

For the Gulp users: what make/model and color are you using?

Do paddletails and poppers work good?

In general, what bait has been working the best for you for slot reds, drum, trout and snook?

Thanks in advance.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:08 am 

I like lures but when I use bait, I like cut mullet. Fresh cut mullet into steaks works best but I’ll buy the bags of frozen mullet and it works to. Took my 9year old nephew out yesterday and had 8 reds on the frozen cut mullet. As far as sented strip bait, I like fishbites. They work. You can throw them out and leave them. Haven’t tried gulp enough to give an opinion. I’ve heard you can leave them out also just like cut bait.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:38 am 

i find that lures work best for Reds specifically gulp minnows slayer paddle tails and bone colored top water lures. I normally fish guana in my skiff because its to much paddling to get where i want to go. I usually will slow troll live finger mullet behind a cork and typically pick up gator trout that way. Ive caught 3 trout over 30 inches in guana and all where on live mullet. I catch the mullet in my local pond and then bring them with me because finger mullet are hard to catch in the lake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 am 

The gulp shrimp in new penny with a red jig head is my go to. Catching your own mullet on the intercostal side is the way to go if your using bait.